Went to the track last night.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
Took my 91LX. Last year with the old motor/trans it ran a best of 14.79@92. I turned a best of 13.55@107 with a 2.29 60'. I don't get out the track very often due to work so my driving sucks and my 17" Cooper radials were giving me fits all night. 1st and 2nd gear were mostly useless, car didn't really get to hit it's stride until 3rd and 4th gear. Didn't break though other then a rock got tossed at me on the top end and bullseye'd my windshield. That my my crappy exhaust worked loose and started leaking again.

nzehs4.jpg

[youtube_browser]XdBYFQ6CWeg[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]b2bxnBMNerw[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]sMSmo5NxqhE[/youtube_browser]

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
Yep,can't post up something like that then not tell us the setup!

Definitely need some drag radials!

dumbstixlars

Established Member
I have enough parts in it to make those videos embarrassing. lol

It's an untuned N/A 347 with TFS 170's, TFS "R" intake, supporting mods, a TKO 600, stockish 8.8 with 3.55's (that's why the car isn't on tire yet), H&R R&T springs, Bilstein dampers, and Cobra brakes on the front.

I should note that I ran an Integra on slicks, we both botched our runs, and he got going before me, however once I got rolling I stopped his pull on the second half of the track. I saw him later run a 12.2@117, so I feel the car has more then 107 in it if I could drive the damn thing.

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
Definitely get it deep into the 12's with tires and a little more practice, nice car!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice run with the new setup. Sounded like you just about reached max RPMs in 4th gear at the lights.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
Definitely get it deep into the 12's with tires and a little more practice, nice car!

That's what I'm hoping for, thanks!

Nice run with the new setup. Sounded like you just about reached max RPMs in 4th gear at the lights.

Yeah it felt like it to me too. I think the Hooker shorties that I have on it aren't helping it breathe well enough. Unfortunately I won't be able to spend any more money on the car for a little while.

My best pass slip:

qy75u0.jpg

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Some drag radials, a tune and a bit of work on the 60' and you're into the 12s for sure. :) When you have the money are you going to replace the shorties with LTs?

lxboy

Established Member
sounded nice! not to be critical but you need to sort out that combo because a 347 with trickflows should be able to go high11s bottom 12s at 112-118 without even trying. What were the shift points because they seemed too low.

the r intake might be a little much for your set up since its more high rpm oriented as in 7000+rpm on an n/a set up. What cam are you running and also a tune will help greatly.

Last edited:

jfsram

Established Member
How do you get a rock in the windshield. It looked like you won every race?

Don't worry about the internet judges on your shifting. I've not seen many, if any, videos quick shifting a TKO600.

When the tire/track conditions are bad, it's no point quick shifting the 1 - 2 and shifts at the higher speed like 3 - 4 does not equate to much in terms better ET's.

What's your shift point at. I'd think a 600 in 4rth should have plenty rpm left trapping 107.

Burn'nRubber

Established Member
Car looks good and it sounds like you got a decent set up. I do think it needs more head though. I am not sure whats going on with that combo but something is off. An aluminum headed 347 has no business being in the 12s, let alone the 13s.

lxboy

Established Member
Car looks good and it sounds like you got a decent set up. I do think it needs more head though. I am not sure whats going on with that combo but something is off. An aluminum headed 347 has no business being in the 12s, let alone the 13s.

heads arnt his problem. The canted valve trickflow 170s are some of the best heads around. Some would argue they make the same power as AFR185s and far surpass them once ported Theres a reason they used to make real streeters running those heads add weight.

I suspect there is a stock cam in there combined with it being untuned and much too large an intake for a mild street set up

dumbstixlars

Established Member
Some drag radials, a tune and a bit of work on the 60' and you're into the 12s for sure. :) When you have the money are you going to replace the shorties with LTs?

I am for sure, from my internet sleuthing it looks like the only LT's that are going to work with my scatter shield are going to be the BBK's.

sounded nice! not to be critical but you need to sort out that combo because a 347 with trickflows should be able to go high11s bottom 12s at 112-118 without even trying. What were the shift points because they seemed too low.

the r intake might be a little much for your set up since its more high rpm oriented as in 7000+rpm on an n/a set up. What cam are you running and also a tune will help greatly.

I was shifting with the stock tach which is way off, I mostly did it by feel. I knew I wasn't going to break any records, or impress anybody, I just wanted to get out on the track. I'm not worried about the "R" intake, I think the shorties and lack of a tune are holding me back more then anything else at this point.

How do you get a rock in the windshield. It looked like you won every race?

Don't worry about the internet judges on your shifting. I've not seen many, if any, videos quick shifting a TKO600.

When the tire/track conditions are bad, it's no point quick shifting the 1 - 2 and shifts at the higher speed like 3 - 4 does not equate to much in terms better ET's.

What's your shift point at. I'd think a 600 in 4rth should have plenty rpm left trapping 107.

It wasn't in one of the videos posted, I made 13 passes, but the night videos weren't very good so I didn't bother posting them.

I should have gotten the heads at least ported, but I just flat ran out of money and had to cut somewhere. The car actually pulls really hard on the top end (to me at least). According to my 1/8 numbers the car should have run a 13.9X on my 13.55 run, so I made up that time on the second half of the track.

heads arnt his problem. The canted valve trickflow 170s are some of the best heads around. Some would argue they make the same power as AFR185s and far surpass them once ported Theres a reason they used to make real streeters running those heads add weight.

I suspect there is a stock cam in there combined with it being untuned and much too large an intake for a mild street set up

I can't remember the exact specs of the cam but it is in the .570-.590 lift range.

Users who are viewing this thread