Whaddya think ?

Nemesiss

Established Member
Once again, I'm looking for your opinions and insights for a second Cobra purchase. Have a chance to pick up a 7K mile, bone-stock (never modded-not even intake/exhaust). "like new" '03 Satin Silver Vert. for 24K. Its a 2-owner car with all its original documentation minus the dealer's window sticker and is still sitting on its original Goodyear F-1's (with plenty of tread left) and stock chrome wheels. There were 81 of these Verts built with that particular "first production run" color which may or may not mean anything in the long term from an investment perspective.

If the car is truly "like new" (haven't laid eyes on it yet) and as clean/original as the owner says it is , what do you think ?. 24K is the bottom line. Good deal or otherwise ?

Appreciate all thoughts/opinions.

Thanks

Biltforspeed351

Not just another Foxbody.
Established Member
It all depends on what your gonna do with the car. If your gonna keep it low on miles and not mod it and just hold on to it and possibly sell it later then its a good investment. Being its a low production # car.
If your gonna mod the car with your own personal touches then your paying too much. Not knocking the car by any means but there are well over 15 Cobras on this site alone at this very minute that you could buy that are modded (with very tasteful mods) that would save you a ton of money. I just sold or should I say gave away an 03 today that was modded. With mods your lucky if you can get 1/4 of what you put into the car.

It all depends on what your plans are for the car in the long run. If I had to do it all over again i would pick up one of these Cobras on here with mods and be done with it. The market sucks right now so Buyers are in the drivers seat big time.
With all that said I am by no means putting down the car your considering just speaking my $.02 and hope it gives you different angles to look at when you buy your next cobra.

Nemesiss

Established Member
Bilt,

My train(s) of thought exactly (modded vs stock deals) . If I pick this car up it'll be a "garage queen" ,probably never see any mods and the miles would be kept low. I'm thinking more along the lines of an investment even though cars, generally speaking, are not good investments. But, since this is a "1 of 81" build it might, at some point, have investor interest. I think its a relatively low-risk situation since I'm sure I could "flip it" (getting my money back) quickly if necessary.

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
It all depends on what your gonna do with the car. If your gonna keep it low on miles and not mod it and just hold on to it and possibly sell it later then its a good investment. Being its a low production # car.
If your gonna mod the car with your own personal touches then your paying too much. Not knocking the car by any means but there are well over 15 Cobras on this site alone at this very minute that you could buy that are modded (with very tasteful mods) that would save you a ton of money. I just sold or should I say gave away an 03 today that was modded. With mods your lucky if you can get 1/4 of what you put into the car.

It all depends on what your plans are for the car in the long run. If I had to do it all over again i would pick up one of these Cobras on here with mods and be done with it. The market sucks right now so Buyers are in the drivers seat big time.
With all that said I am by no means putting down the car your considering just speaking my $.02 and hope it gives you different angles to look at when you buy your next cobra.

Well put:beer:

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
Not to go against the grain, but even if this car was one day worth something, which it won't be, it won't outweigh standard investments in terms of financial gain.

Even the guys with high dollar '60's muscle cars would have been better off putting their money in the stock market for 40 years than keeping them as low mileage pieces, often times making significant gains compared to the car's value.

1 of 81 in a modern production car means nothing really. There are still too many other cars out there. The '03/'04 Cobra market may level off at a higher rate, but you can't possibly expect that these cars will ever approach their MSRP/Window Sticker price or go above that price at a pace higher than inflation.

If you want to enjoy the car you're better off getting one for less money. If you want to mod the car you're better off taking your time and finding one that is tastefully modded to what you want and not paying for the mods up front.

Just the opinion of a random car guy.

Nemesiss

Established Member
Not to go against the grain, but even if this car was one day worth something, which it won't be, it won't outweigh standard investments in terms of financial gain.

Even the guys with high dollar '60's muscle cars would have been better off putting their money in the stock market for 40 years than keeping them as low mileage pieces, often times making significant gains compared to the car's value.

1 of 81 in a modern production car means nothing really. There are still too many other cars out there. The '03/'04 Cobra market may level off at a higher rate, but you can't possibly expect that these cars will ever approach their MSRP/Window Sticker price or go above that price at a pace higher than inflation.

If you want to enjoy the car you're better off getting one for less money. If you want to mod the car you're better off taking your time and finding one that is tastefully modded to what you want and not paying for the mods up front.

Just the opinion of a random car guy.

I'm looking for all opinions so "going against the grain" is just fine and as valuable to me as any of the others. I agree with most of your points but I wouldn't be as sure as you are about these low production cars not retaining some decent value as a collector...eventually. What future value these cars may hold is purely speculation on anyones part --they could be worth nothing or maybe a lot, who knows. I'm not purchasing this car solely as an investment (as you said there are better places to put cash if that was my intent) but for other and personal reasons as well. I have a modded '04 coupe for a "driver" so this one will just be "garage decor" :-D

Last edited:

Nemesiss

Established Member
357cstang;10259135) The '03/'04 Cobra market may level off at a higher rate said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-COBRA-2003-COBRA-10TH-ANNIVERSARY-SVT-NEW-MUSTANG-WRAPPER-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a0c7baf95QQitemZ[/url]

Granted, it is "new"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread