What are the best springs to go with?

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I'm looking to change the springs on the car. What kind are the way to go? I hear the H&R's are the way to go, but they have a sport and race set. Whats the difference? I dont want to drop it too much, maybe 1-2 inches, at most. Also, do I need to get caster/camber plates in order to do this correctly? I want to make sure that the suspension geometry is the way its supposed to be. Also, wheres the best place to get em? Thanks guys!

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

a lot of people with the H&R's are having bottoming out problems. or the exhaust scrapes. The race springs aren't suppose to drop as much as the sport springs. I would recommend the MM isolators if you go with those springs. They area urethane isolator which is stronger than the factory isolators and the car will not drop as much with them. Less rick of scraping or bottoming out. I decided to go with the Eibach pro kit springs and have the MM isolators. While the front looks good, the rear didn't drop nearly as much as I thought it did. So this weekend I am putting the factory isolators in the rear to see how the car sits. depending on how it sits I might put the factory isolators in the front as well.

I do have the MM CC plates as well. They require you to drill a how in your strut tower as they are 4 bolts to mount them and the factory is only 3. Some placed I showed them to said they are very good cc plates and have a lot of adjustment. Depending on how low you drop the car depends on if they can align it properly. If I don't need an alignment, MM said I could return them as long as they weren't installed, but I would have to pay the credit card fee.

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
The H&R's bottem out? Ive never heard that before, but good to know.

I have seen many times that the sport springs bottom out if you have a mid pipe with some low cats like a bassani. I'm going with the sports but I plan to run off road. Eitherway I would go with the sports because I scrape with my sporlines on my gt thanks to the low hanging bassani cats.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I'm running H&R SS and the only time it has ever bottomed out is when I go to inlaws gravel drive that hasn't been leveled out in 10 years. Heck my stock suspension 93GT bottoms there. The H&R's dropped car 1.5 all the way around. I love the look.

F8l Vnm

Established Member
The H&R SS;s are alot lower than my H & R race that I have.
Everyone has thier own opinion.
I love my race sroings..

poppakap

The Anti Rice
Established Member
The spring setup that I plan on going with are Eibach in the front and H&R SS in the rear. I just saw this setup and I think that it looks really good and still rides well.

TRBO VNM

The H&R's bottem out? Ive never heard that before, but good to know.

about a month to month and a half ago when I was researching the springs on this site and other sites a lot of owners were talking about that happening. It might only be because of a type of exhaust setup, but nobody mentioned specifics. The SS's drop the car more than the race. I love the look of them, but didn't want to risk any issues. They might be fine with my setup, but I didn't want to find out too late. So I opted for something not as drastic but still looks good.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I don't get the whole bottoming out thing either. I've never bottomed out. I don't see too many people getting a real drop from the Eibach or Steeda's, happy here with the HR SS's but that's just me.

drkchk03svt

Established Member
I have H&R Race springs and love them. My rommate has H&R SS and one of my good friends had H&R SS with all MM Bushings. My rommate will tell you that my car by far rides the best out of the three. His does sit a bit lower though. The only problem I see is that he still has wheel hop and I don't. My wheel hop went away as soon as I installed the Race springs.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
The race springs seem to be the way to go i'm seeing. How much of a difference in ride height did it make in the car? Im not looking to lower it more then 1-2 inches. I just want a little bit, but a better ride. Will the race springs do that?

drkchk03svt

Established Member
The race springs seem to be the way to go i'm seeing. How much of a difference in ride height did it make in the car? Im not looking to lower it more then 1-2 inches. I just want a little bit, but a better ride. Will the race springs do that?

The specs are here

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...utoYear=2003&brand=all&perfcat=track&x=91&y=4

Note: Avg Low 1.6"F 1.5"R
For Cobra models with IRS.

and this was the cheapest I found when I bought mine.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Just FYI, 1-2" is big leeway, if you're looking for 1.5" up front and 1.75" out back with MM urethane isolators all the way around, go with the SS; looking for a greater drop, stock isolators. If you're looking for less of a drop, the race would be the way to go. I don't know about the Eibach's as they seem to be very inconsistent as I've seen in person.

TRBO VNM

03redfiresnk...you cant leave me hanging like that!! What did you wind up going with?

sorry, thought I posted that. i went with the eibach pro kit. Like I said I have the MM isolators now, but will be removing the rears this weekend because the rear didn't drop enough for my taste. I never measured prior to installing the springs, but I really don't know if it dropped much of anything in the rear. The front dropped and I think I will leave it with the MM isolators up front. It all depends on how the rear looks after putting the stock isolators in the rear.

I will know more next monday or tuesday.

oh, and any lowering spring will help with wheel hop.

MyT-Mouse

Established Member
I recently had the H & R race springs installed and they gave me a nice drop over stock. The handling and weight transfer is also alot better.

I did not install C/C plates when I got them installed and was told it was not necessary by a Steeda rep. Don't misquote me here. The guy did say it would allow more adjustment but the stockers would work fine. I got a 4-wheel alignment after the springs were installed and everything is looking good 2 weeks later.

I'm very satisfied :rockon:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I'm running the Steeda's with MM caster camber plates and am very satisfied. The car sits great with the Steedas IMO.....

Users who are viewing this thread