What brand Air Tools for home use?

oilwell1415

Established Member
I would strongly suggest not running brake cleaner through any pneumatic tools. Seals can and eventually will break down from that. I understand you got lucky, but I work with these tools every day as a manufacturer/vendor.

If the seals are going to break down from seeing a little brake cleaner once every year or two they weren't worth a shit to begin with. Of all the different cleaners found in a shop brake cleaner is probably the least likely to hurt something.

oilwell1415

Established Member
Snap-on, Matco, Mac, IR, and SK. Most of them are designed the same and from IR and just have different names. IR is mostly king though, and the air tools abilities and durability show it.

Snap On designs and builds their own stuff now. The others are just like you said. I actually bought my IR stuff because a guy I worked with had Matco's that worked great and were identical to IR other than the color.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Air tool oil, or a light weight automotive oil. Each tool needs to be oiled before every use with about a tablespoon or so down the air inlet, cover the outlet with a rag and blow the excess out and you're good to go for the days work. Inline filters aren't a must unless you're doing paint work but will help the tools last forever, unless you're anal like me and take the tools apart every so often to inspect, clean, lube, and reassemble.

Lol, thats overboard on the oil IMO. We had a 1" impact that I used for years growing up and we'd give it a shot of wd-40 down the air hose connection(wtf is that called?) maybe once a month and it never missed a beat, still runs to this day and can strip the studs off 18-wheelers like its cool if you dont know what you're doing. and I know it was bought a loooong time ago.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Lol, thats overboard on the oil IMO. We had a 1" impact that I used for years growing up and we'd give it a shot of wd-40 down the air hose connection(wtf is that called?) maybe once a month and it never missed a beat, still runs to this day and can strip the studs off 18-wheelers like its cool if you dont know what you're doing. and I know it was bought a loooong time ago.

It varies with who is using the tools. Joe Schmo with no separator and not oiling his tools often enough likely will have problems in the future. I have air tools older than probably 1/2 of the people on this forum that have been maintained by daily giving them a shot of the proper lubricant. Never have I had one to "Gum" up from tool oil as some have mentioned nor have I had to rebuild one due to corrosion, seizing or failed bearings. What was that old saying, better to be safe than sorry. But hey, its your tool...do what you want with it. Then again, many of the same people on this forum that tell you how to care for and maintain your vehicle and your tools also are the same ones going into Autozone asking for a price on a replacement muffler bearing:poke:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Is there a pressure dial on the cp you got from your friend?

I've bought a bunch of the standard harbor freight air tools (guns ratchets doe grinders) for work on heavy machinery at mills and they did their job, just oil them like ever other air tool and you should be fine.

+1.

98% of my tool box is harbor freight stuff. My impact gun and sockets, air ratchet and sockets, everything but a few random things (nut extractors, ez outs, helicoil sets) are harbor freight. I have sockets and open ends in there that ive had since i was young that still are in one piece even after doing some ghetto ass shit (doing the whole open end to open wrench "extension" trick). Ive had the air tools for a good 6-7yrs now, i dont even oil them and they work just fine.

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
Snap On designs and builds their own stuff now. The others are just like you said. I actually bought my IR stuff because a guy I worked with had Matco's that worked great and were identical to IR other than the color.

Ok, didn't know snap-on did their own now, seems like they used to be the same as IR. But yea everyone made fun of my SK gun when I bought it, so I had one of the guys with a IR gun show me his and it was the exact same. So it shut them up.

oilwell1415

Established Member
Air tool oil, or a light weight automotive oil. Each tool needs to be oiled before every use with about a tablespoon or so down the air inlet, cover the outlet with a rag and blow the excess out and you're good to go for the days work. Inline filters aren't a must unless you're doing paint work but will help the tools last forever, unless you're anal like me and take the tools apart every so often to inspect, clean, lube, and reassemble.

That's retarded. 99.9% of all pneumatic tool owners that actually oil their tools over oil them, including you. You just do a more overzealous job of it than most.

This is more like it, although I'm not sure about using something as light as wd-40. Apparently it worked for you.

Ebay mother****ers!!! I've bought all my Snap-On, Matco & IR stuff off ebay second hand. I won't buy from anyone with less than 50 sells and 99% feedback and haven't been let down yet. Just bought a 1/2" Snap-On Impact with 650 ft/lbs.. Yeah it's 2 years old, but the only thing missing was the little ring on the snout for holding the sockets on, stole one off my old worn out craftsman impact and was good to go. Best $48 I've spent by far. So far I have about $11-13k in tools and have spent a little over $1k so it can be done, just have to shop and be patient.

It varies with who is using the tools. Joe Schmo with no separator and not oiling his tools often enough likely will have problems in the future. I have air tools older than probably 1/2 of the people on this forum that have been maintained by daily giving them a shot of the proper lubricant.

So you think half of the people on this forum are kids? Think before you post. You say you've bought this stuff on ebay, which has only been running strong for just over a decade, but it's older than half the people on the forum.

Never have I had one to "Gum" up from tool oil as some have mentioned nor have I had to rebuild one due to corrosion, seizing or failed bearings. What was that old saying, better to be safe than sorry. But hey, its your tool...do what you want with it.

You've never had one gum up because you're pouring oil down them by the gallon and wasting the majority of it. Like I said, if it gets used daily it isn't an issue. If you oil it and for whatever reason it has to sit for a few weeks or months you run into that problem. The first time it happened to me was right after I bought a 3/8 impact and my 1/2 sat for a while. I thought the 1/2" was done and my Snap On guy told me to blow it out with some brake cleaner, reoil it, and it would be just like new. He was right. It would have been real easy for him to sell me a new gun, but he chose to help me out instead. He's the best tool guy around by far.

Then again, many of the same people on this forum that tell you how to care for and maintain your vehicle and your tools also are the same ones going into Autozone asking for a price on a replacement muffler bearing:poke:

Sounds like you're a man of experience in such matters, only you go to AZ to buy air tool oil in 5 gallon buckets.

Ok, didn't know snap-on did their own now, seems like they used to be the same as IR. But yea everyone made fun of my SK gun when I bought it, so I had one of the guys with a IR gun show me his and it was the exact same. So it shut them up.

They just started that a few years ago. They were reboxing IR stuff and decided they wanted to up the ante a little bit, so they started building their own. You can still get the other stuff under the Blue Point brand, but the Snap On branded items are actually made by Snap On now. They are really nice, but a bit over the top in cost vs. quality.

Last edited:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
If they're made like they used to be, I'd vote for Ingersoll-Rand. Had I-R air tools for over 30 years and they're still going strong. Best thing you can do is invest in a water trap and keep your tools properly lubed.

hb712

Established Member
If they're made like they used to be, I'd vote for Ingersoll-Rand. Had I-R air tools for over 30 years and they're still going strong. Best thing you can do is invest in a water trap and keep your tools properly lubed.

This is correct. Contrary to some people's beliefs, proper lubrication is very important for pneumatic tools. I personally oil my tools twice a week under normal use. You also bring up a good point, an inline water separator is important for longevity.

Put a few drops of oil in the tool, then immediately run it at full rpm for a few seconds. This will blow out any excess oil. If you feel it is gummed up, simply open the casing and clean it out.

I would also suggest not listening to people who put a head kit in a ratchet as "maintenance". If it's not slipping, or the head is not damaged, there is no reason to replace it. Again, I deal with these every day working for a company mentioned in this thread. I am not just another tech or tool user that can only base my opinions off of my own experience using the tools. There's my $.02, I'll be moving along now.

oilwell1415

Established Member
I would also suggest not listening to people who put a head kit in a ratchet as "maintenance". If it's not slipping, or the head is not damaged, there is no reason to replace it.

It still functioned fine. I replaced it because the ball that holds the socket on didn't hold sockets on any more and that was a pain in the ass.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
stay away from those junk ass craftsman ratchets. I busted 3 brand spanking new ones working on my truck, broke out a matco ratchet, got the job done

Junior00

Established Member
Premium Member
Oilwell, do you actually work for Snap-On, or any company that manufactures high quality tools? I'm sure you don't, and regardless of your previous "experience" and the wonderful knowledge you bring to the table(or lack thereof)...I'll continue to follow the manu's recommendations on oiling tools. Half of my tools are older than most the people on this forum, dating from the 60's till now...but I know that you don't have enough fingers or toes to count that high so quit grasping at straws. All the info I gave was directly from Snap-On themselves, actually straight out of their head repairman at the facility...so blow me.

oilwell1415

Established Member
Oilwell, do you actually work for Snap-On, or any company that manufactures high quality tools?

No I don't and I never said I did. You obviously don't either.

I'm sure you don't, and regardless of your previous "experience" and the wonderful knowledge you bring to the table(or lack thereof)...I'll continue to follow the manu's recommendations on oiling tools.

Show me one manual that says to put a tablespoon of oil down your air tools every time you use them. Maybe on some giant 2" drive impact that takes two guys to run, but that isn't exactly what we're talking about is it. They say a few drops, as does the person that has replied to this thread that DOES work for a tool company. Do you have any ****ing clue how much oil a tablespoon is? It's half an ounce, which means if you had 6 tools to oil daily (not unreasonable for a working tech) that you would be going through a quart of oil every two weeks. If you are doing that you are stupid.

Half of my tools are older than most the people on this forum, dating from the 60's till now...but I know that you don't have enough fingers or toes to count that high so quit grasping at straws.

This from the guy that either A) has no idea how much a tablespoon is or B) is stupid enough to put that much oil in his air tools every time he uses them.

All the info I gave was directly from Snap-On themselves, actually straight out of their head repairman at the facility...so blow me.

You are full of shit. Blow yourself, a std. 1/4" air chuck should work nicely for you.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
Snap-On 1/2 gun w/ assorted other S-O air tools, IR 60 gl 2 stage compressor, & lots of Craftsman tools. The specialty stuff comes from Snap-On though.

Junior00

Established Member
Premium Member
Show me one manual that says to put a tablespoon of oil down your air tools every time you use them.

Says the manual for my Snap-On ATC500 from '06. That's just one of the 1/2" tools that advise 1 level tablespoon, or 1/2 oz or 1/16 cup....however you wanna slice the cookie dipshit, you are ****ing wrong and regardless of the honest info I offer you will continue to debate, roll your eyes, call people names, and wet the bed in a tantrum. Feel free to call Snap-On and ask for yourself if it makes you all happy in the pants.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
Says the manual for my Snap-On ATC500 from '06. That's just one of the 1/2" tools that advise 1 level tablespoon, or 1/2 oz or 1/16 cup....however you wanna slice the cookie dipshit, you are ****ing wrong and regardless of the honest info I offer you will continue to debate, roll your eyes, call people names, and wet the bed in a tantrum. Feel free to call Snap-On and ask for yourself if it makes you all happy in the pants.

im not saying thats wrong... but i just looked at my new air saw i have on my desk and it says 1-2 drops... same with my 1/2" impact

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread