-Amsoil <--Anyone use this ?
-Royal Purple <-- I hear that this brand is not good for our engines :shrug:
-What do you recommend ?

Thanks

Jose

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
I've been running the German Castrol 0w-30 ever since I first saw someone post about it and some of the tests. It's worked great for me.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
I've run Mobil One, Pennzoil Platinum and Royal Purple. The Pennzoil and Mobil products seemed about the same when it came time to change, still relatively clean and all that. My recent change I put in RP and I did notice a difference, the engine idled a smoother and it seemed to run through the RPMs with a little less fuss. The real test comes when I change it out in a few weeks.

Tremor

NO MERCY
Amsoil 0-20, great medicine for the mod motor.

Im leaning towards Amsoil :burnout:

I've been running the German Castrol 0w-30 ever since I first saw someone post about it and some of the tests. It's worked great for me.

Ive heard castrol is good as well :read:

Also post some updates of your Cobra, its been awhile :beer:

I've run Mobil One, Pennzoil Platinum and Royal Purple. The Pennzoil and Mobil products seemed about the same when it came time to change, still relatively clean and all that. My recent change I put in RP and I did notice a difference, the engine idled a smoother and it seemed to run through the RPMs with a little less fuss. The real test comes when I change it out in a few weeks.

Keep us posted on the RoyalPurple <--My engine builder does not recommend it for our engines.

mystical

Established Member
I generally run M1 because of it's availability and cost but I've ran Redline in the past and felt as though the car ran noticably stronger. Could just be that I was attempting to justify the $12/quart:lol:

1999 SVT Cobra

Established Member
Ive ran 7 quarts of Royal Purple in my car since I bought it. Just had it dynoed at 302 rwhp and 299 rwtq with full exhaust and intake so I don't think its bad in any way for our cars. I mean its race oil its designed with performance and lubrication in mind how can it be bad? I used to use 7 qts of M1 and I have to say I notice a lot smoother idle and response from it especially at cold start. Just my .02.

zeus201

Established Member
I generally run M1 because of it's availability and cost but I've ran Redline in the past and felt as though the car ran noticably stronger. Could just be that I was attempting to justify the $12/quart:lol:

I've wanted to run Redline because of pretty good numbers from used oil samples...expect price is way too much.

I run PP 5w-20 or 5w-30.

Tremor

NO MERCY
Ive ran 7 quarts of Royal Purple in my car since I bought it. Just had it dynoed at 302 rwhp and 299 rwtq with full exhaust and intake so I don't think its bad in any way for our cars. I mean its race oil its designed with performance and lubrication in mind how can it be bad? I used to use 7 qts of M1 and I have to say I notice a lot smoother idle and response from it especially at cold start. Just my .02.

My engine builder advised me against it for our motors. Since he has seen our motors apart and noticed that owners who used RP had more damage than other brand oils.

I've wanted to run Redline because of pretty good numbers from used oil samples...expect price is way too much.

I run PP 5w-20 or 5w-30.

Thanks

Same here, switched from RP 5w-20 to German Castrol 0w-30. It was cheaper too.

Another vote for German Castrol

Thanks Guys for your Input

scotts99snake

Established Member
FWIW, while having the oil changed in my DD, I was browsing through a magazine my oil guy had laying around. It said newer motor oils, especially synthetics, have better detergents in them as opposed to older motor oils. They went on to say because of these detergents, you cannot judge the life of the oil, based on color, like you once could.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
I'm not sure why anyone would want to run GC in a Mod Motor unless feeding a turbo or blower that absolutely needed an oil than can resist coking in those high heat situations.

GC is a borderline 30/40-weight oil, and everything about these engines, down to the lash adjusters and cam journals, like a 30-weight oil (10-11 cSt @ 100C) at the max. Some engine builders have even stated they see less cam journal wear with 20-weights versus 30-weight. :shrug:

99/01 Cobras are pretty easy on oil, with a decent sized sump, no flat tappets anywhere, and the external oil cooler, high oil temps just aren't much of a problem.

A 99/01 Cobra fed Motocraft Syn Blend 5W-20 will likely last every bit as long as, if not longer than, one fed GC 0W-30.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
I used to use 7 qts of M1 and I have to say I notice a lot smoother idle and response from it especially at cold start. Just my .02.

This is why I went away from Amsoil. I ran it for about 5 months and those were some of the hardest cold starts that my car had (I have no Idea why). Since then I have only Ran Royal Purple. IMO its the best for our cars, and its going into the 99 on saturday.:beer:

FWIW I have been beating the crap out of my car for 3 years now. I would like to actually see someone who had a mod motor that went to crap because of Royal Purple.

Last edited:

1999 SVT Cobra

Established Member
My engine builder advised me against it for our motors. Since he has seen our motors apart and noticed that owners who used RP had more damage than other brand oils.

You undoubtedly have more experience with cars so this is in no way trying to one up your opinion but I mean how does you engine builder know its the oil that had anything to do with the amount of damage in an engine? I mean what if it had something to do with reving to hirer rpms then the engine was built or some bad adjustments internally. I just dont think you can account all engine damage to oil alone. I mean yes royal purple may not be the best but I have noticed a considerable amount of difference. I have used it for the last 30k in my cobra and dynoed it about 2 weeks ago at 302 hp and 299 tq so I don't think it really hurts it. Also to be noted my car has almost 107k on it and still has stock speced compression in all cylinders. Whats this say for Royal Purple?

Last edited:

Tremor

NO MERCY
:coolman:
You undoubtedly have more experience with cars so this is in no way trying to one up your opinion but I mean how does you engine builder know its the oil that had anything to do with the amount of damage in an engine? I mean what if it had something to do with reving to hirer rpms then the engine was built or some bad adjustments internally. I just dont think you can account all engine damage to oil alone. I mean yes royal purple may not be the best but I have noticed a considerable amount of difference. I have used it for the last 30k in my cobra and dynoed it about 2 weeks ago at 302 hp and 299 tq so I don't think it really hurts it. Also to be noted my car has almost 107k on it and still has stock speced compression in all cylinders. Whats this say for Royal Purple?

Your setup has worked for you. But others have posted some negative things about RP.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/391348-royal-purple-guys.html

My Friend who is SR Master Tech at Ford uses RP on his 95 Blown Cobra. I was planning on using RP. Then he and my engine builder advised me that on our engines people have had some bad luck using RP. <--They advised me that RP wasnt protecting our engines as well as other models. <--Thats pretty much it. And I plan on pushing some boost so I want to have a great oil protect my little engine. :beer:

Everyone has there take on oil brands, i just wanted everyones opinion :coolman:

Im just learning as a go :pop:

zeus201

Established Member

Great site with TONS of knowledge!!!

Whatever jiffy lube puts in...

LOL
j/k

Mobil 1 ... Never had a prob..

:lol: I would hope most of us that would take the time to change their own oil knowing it's done correctly.

It all really boils down on what you want to run. RP has worked for people, but then again there are stories out that say otherwise. Most "full" syn's on the market will do great and you shouldn't lose any sleep over. I've ran Motorcraft syn - blend 5w-20 and had zero worries. If your pockets are deep then pony up for some of the botique oils (Amsoil, Redline, Motul).

Oil for 03 Cobra - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread