What CAI is better

I8URVETT

Established Member
I am wanting to get a CAI for my car what is a good one steeda's or K&N's or is their realy any difference:shrug:

Thanks

ALA G8R

Banned
Not to bust you chops, but search and read a little. This type of thread comes up at least once a week.

BTW, pick one that doesn't bend directly in front of the MAF.

Last edited:

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
Originally posted by I8URVETT
I am wanting to get a CAI for my car what is a good one steeda's or K&N's or is their realy any difference:shrug:

Thanks

Take a quarter and flip it heads K&N, tails Steeda....either way you win.

Buddy

Established Member
Originally posted by I8URVETT

Thanks

I have researched this at length since purchasing my '03 Vert in late December. Knew I only wanted the straight / engine compartment CAI due to the documented idle probs with the curved / in the fender type. Came very close to ordering the Amazon and Steeda...both excellent products. Finally decided on the K&N FIPK (Fuel Injection Performance Kit) part # 57-2545, due to the HP / torque gains listed in the May '03 5.0 Mag article on CAI's; the K&N FIPK was the leader for straight CAI's with a 29HP gain. The "straight" competitors were about half the amount. The design and quality appear to be among the best. The pricing is reasonable as well. Ordered mine today through Auto Barn @ $179.95 with free shipping and no tax. Good luck!

I'm going through the catback search and like the Borla's. Tell me about yours. Any drone at 2,000RPM / cruising? What about the sound...any burbling / popping when you let off the gas? Estimated HP gain?
Thanks,
Warren

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Davesnake
First dyno catback only 374rwhp
Second dyno added Steeda CAI only 407rwhp

33rwhp gain
You're saying you gained 33 rwhp with just adding the Steeda CAI? SAE or Standard? I'm asking because that number is high. Nice numbers, though.

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
You're saying you gained 33 rwhp with just adding the Steeda CAI? SAE or Standard? I'm asking because that number is high. Nice numbers, though.

Bob,

It was SAE not on the same day.....could have something to do with it as well....still I was very pleased no matter.

Dave

2K3BRA

Established Member
I have UPR it bends after the maf, but I have not had any problems, my car appears to like it. Some don't. I felt a nice SOTP difference with that and the mid pipe.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I \'ve had the UPR and the Steeda, both nice systems, had better gains with the UPR IMO. I currently have the JLT CAI which puts the MAF in the fender before the bend. OH Yeah! Picked up a lb of boost, haven't dyno'd yet. Before, I wasn't able to get my boost guage to hit 15, now it bounces off 16........BO

Juiced-03

Established Member
The steeda is essentially no different than my 12" filter and adapter (except the heat shield). I also saved a lot of money with my setup!

I8URVETT

Established Member
BUDDY-- The borlas sound aewsome not much drone at all you get a little at about 2200 rpm if any I am very happy with them no burping or popping maybe slightly on deceleration+ you can feel a little more "umph" with them Suprising, from a catbact with stock h-pipe --As for the CAI I know Steedas can rub aginst the A/C Lines, So I've heard I know K&N is probably a cheaper setup so I guess I will have to decide--thanks:rolling:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Davesnake
Bob,

It was SAE not on the same day.....could have something to do with it as well....still I was very pleased no matter.

Dave
Yeh, Dave, the weather conditions could have played into it. Again, though, nice numbers. I love my Steeda! :beer:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
What the K&N aircharger/FIPK has over ALL the other under-hood intakes:

The special inlet that attaches to the MAF. This allows a much larger size radius filter to be attached. The inlet is designed to improve velocity at which the air enters the intake tube and reduce air turbulance at the filter/maf.

Last edited:

stvdman

Established Member
So which one "Looks" the best. The Amazon is kinda a Carbon Fiber type thing, and the Steeda has some bling, the UPR is painted to match, what does the FIPK look like.

I really dont care much about how they look but its nice to have something that looks good and is functional as well.

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
I like the JLT set-up, I got mine last week, it's still sitting in the box since my car is still apart.....

but it looks bad ass, and I'm sure it's gonna be functional.

Filter&maf in the fender, and straight 4" all the way to the T-body.

It's painted to match the car, and it's gonna look killer when apten gets me the blower back..... 2 weeks out, it's still at the polisher guy.... but it'll be worth it!

Buddy

Established Member
Originally posted by stvdman
So which one "Looks" the best. The Amazon is kinda a Carbon Fiber type thing, and the Steeda has some bling, the UPR is painted to match, what does the FIPK look like.

I really dont care much about how they look but its nice to have something that looks good and is functional as well.

K&N cover is black plastic with a fiber looking liner. It uses existing fender holes for attachment. It forms a " U " around the filter with soft rubber molding on the top edges to seal against the hood liner when the hood is down. There is no top to the filter cover. It will not win a "beauty" contest against the Steeda, but it sure pumps out the HP! Try this web site and click on FIPK, serial number 57-2545; www.kandnfilters.com

Users who are viewing this thread