What car to buy next: 2015 GT Track Pack or 2010 gt500 with 4k miles

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
15gt. If it was a 2011 GT500 I'd spend more time thinking about it, but that heavy iron block upfront is a big negative IMO.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
2015 if you want handling. It's not just SRA vs IRS, the front and rear suspension have been completely changed. Every review I've read said the handling is drastically improved, even just driving aggressively on the street.

nxhappy

Established Member
gt500 for sure. Way more potential, and it will hold it's value. A GT will always just be a GT.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Honestly I wouldn't do autocross since it's mostly for Miati' type cars. I'd look more into actual road courses where cars can stretch their legs, and also so that Miati' species of cars won't stand a chance.

For autocross I'd just join the Miati' crowd. On a road course you could use a griggs type suspension for the Shelby and not worry about 2015 GT's simply because the Shelby has the chance to use everything to it's advantage.

Autocross and Mustang doesn't make much sense to me unless it's a small 65-66 or 1979-04 mustang.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I think most of the people here recommending the GT500 either didn't fully read the first post or else they haven't had much experience trying to drive a GT500 fast around corners. The GT500 is a beast but it is not a corner carver by any stretch of the imagination. All that extra weight up front makes it a very heavy steering vehicle. You can use many words to describe it but 'nimble' is not one of them.

have you? a gt500 doesnt exactly handle like a school bus. a stock one isnt great but modded they do ok. ive seen people autoX with GT500s before. not the fastest on the course but they had a good time. unless OP is trying to compete and win trophies in which case neither car would be a great choice.

OP, how often do you plan to auto X it? are we talking occasional fun or quite often? would you be doing road course days more than autox?

if you're talking about taking it out every now and then for a fun day on the track/autox then pick whatever you want. if you plan to pour money into making it competitive than thats a different story. and you should probably look at other cars for that.

someone mentioned the track pack 15 having better brakes than the GT500. yes, it does BUT, that's not necessarily what you want for autoX. those brakes are massive, and heavy. sure, you can spend $$$ and get lighter rotors for them but you cant make them any smaller. most track guys, from what ive seen, try to get the diameter of the wheels to be as small as possible. those 15" front brakes on the front of the track pack cars dont allow for very small wheels. most 18" wheels will not fit. forget about 17s.. not a lot of choices for tires in 19", especially for super sticky tires. and theyre $$$.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
On a road course you could use a griggs type suspension for the Shelby and not worry about 2015 GT's simply because the Shelby has the chance to use everything to it's advantage.
Doesnt this go against your Hellcat weight debate? Also, a griggs suspension isnt going to solve the ironblock + supercharger combo the GT500 has (front heavy weight).
What happens when a griggs setup is applied to the '15 GT?

ViciousJay

Established Member
GT500 all the way. Your forged, and only 2500 away from a 650rwhp car

DO some suspension and call it a day

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
From edmunds:
2010 GT500
Curb weight, mfr. claim (lbs.) 3,924
Weight distribution, as tested, f/r (%) 58/42

2015 GT
Curb weight, mfr. claim (lbs.) 3,705
Weight distribution, as tested, f/r (%) 53/47

Autocross/road course, 650rwhp is useless on a road course, especially in autoX. :nonono:

No brainer with what you get on a newer updated car. I honestly see the OP getting the GT500 and end up spending money for heat soak/drop weight just to be competitive. Look at his avatar pic, 650rwhp would look like a spin fest in autoX.

AAG

Established Member
How about a Boss 302? Only reason I wouldnt buy a '15 is because depreciation isn't going suck on it.

Users who are viewing this thread