What did you do about a HOOD LIGHT?

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
That's the one thing that gets me about Ford. It's these nice little touches that they seem to forget. I believe that most GM cars have them. I know for sure the 3rd gen Camaros have them. I guess you could get one from a junk yard and hook it up. No special wiring. I believe they simply turn on when they are in a 45 deg angle. Just a thought.. Hmmm. Maybe I'll graft one onto my 99 Cobra from my aging 89 IROC.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I've never had a hood light that was worth anything more than for checking the oil.

Instead, I would suggest a Ray-O-Vac headset. I got mine from Lowes for ~$15. It has 3 settings.
1-Red for night vision. Great for checking a map at night.
2-Blue for close up work. Not as bright as a white light, but OK for reading without disturbing your partner.
3-A regular flashlight. Not as good as a Maglight, but a lot more convenient.

It comes with a rubber headband so you can look like a real dork in front of your date, but it leaves both hands free to do what you need to do, like change a tire. I keep one in the car so it's always handy. Runs on 3 AAA batteries.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had a hood light on my '94 Callaway Camaro that wasn't much help. Most hood lights are nothing more than glorified night lights. They help only a little bit, but then again having something is better than nothing. I keep a flashlight in my car. That's my own solution. I don't drive that much at night anyway.

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member
Originally posted by SnakeBit

Instead, I would suggest a Ray-O-Vac headset. I got mine from Lowes for ~$15. It has 3 settings.
1-Red for night vision. Great for checking a map at night.
2-Blue for close up work. Not as bright as a white light, but OK for reading without disturbing your partner.
3-A regular flashlight. Not as good as a Maglight, but a lot more convenient.

It comes with a rubber headband so you can look like a real dork in front of your date, but it leaves both hands free to do what you need to do, like change a tire. I keep one in the car so it's always handy. Runs on 3 AAA batteries.

Actually, your date should appreciate the fact that you can see and have "both hands free."

Do they make one of these with a rotating amber hazard light on top? If so, it would be ideal for roadside situations such as changing a flat tire - especially at night. It might prevent getting run over while changing a tire. Who cares if you look like a dork - I would rather be a live dork than a dead duck.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03KingCobra03
I'ts called MAGLIGHT
Sorry, I didn't realize that all caps were required, but just to be absolutely correct, and I have one in front of me as I'm typing, it's MAG-LITE (R). :p

The comment about looking like a dork came from my IT co-workers when the power went off one day. I pulled out my light and was told that I looked like a dork, or geek or nerd. Those people were NOT allowed to borrow it for trips into the totally dark bathroom, even after several appologies on their knees. Then, just to show how cool I could be, I turned it around so it was on backwards. That worked real well, until I walked into a wall because the light was shining behind me. :D

Sorry Annihil8or, no flashing amber on top, but I agree, it would be a great safty item.

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member
Originally posted by SnakeBit
Sorry, I didn't realize that all caps were required, but just to be absolutely correct, and I have one in front of me as I'm typing, it's MAG-LITE (R). :p

The comment about looking like a dork came from my IT co-workers when the power went off one day. I pulled out my light and was told that I looked like a dork, or geek or nerd. Those people were NOT allowed to borrow it for trips into the totally dark bathroom, even after several appologies on their knees. Then, just to show how cool I could be, I turned it around so it was on backwards. That worked real well, until I walked into a wall because the light was shining behind me. :D

Sorry Annihil8or, no flashing amber on top, but I agree, it would be a great safty item.

No apology necessary! This may be a golden opportunity!
Here is a rough depiction of the concept I have in mind. Sorry about the model, it's the only pic I could find quickly. I added the amber part myself, quickly - keep in mind this is just a rough representation.
HEADLAMP9.GIF

:idea: Snakebit, maybe we ought team up, patent the idea, and build one. It could be the next trend in auto accessories. Look how neon glow caught on with the lowrider & ricer people! Not to mention glow in the dark keyboards, PC fans with rotating LED's, Neon lights/plexiglass windows inside of PC cases etc.

To cut production costs, lower the profile and battery size we could use a 360 degree sequential, chip-controlled, LED array. Using this design it wouldn't cost a lot to use multiple colors such as the original headset light - Red, White, Blue could be replaced by Amber (for tire changes, etc.), Red (for accidents/serious emergencies), Purple (to lure members of the opposite sex) Red/White/Blue for 4th of July & political rallies, show support for troops, etc.

There might even be a law enforcement application for this device, officers on bicycles & horseback could use them with interchangeable headlamp lenses for different purposes.

If the headlamp were detachable, this could be a big seller night ball games, parties, raves, concerts, etc. I have some experience in the direct response industry so I know how to market the device with free standing insert advertising, magazine ads, infomercials etc. PM me if you are interested. :beer:

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Keep a flashlight handy, and have one of those combination air compressor/lights that plugs into the lighter. It's brighter than our crappy headlights.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
just had an idea for the hoodlight. the little led's they sell at the automotive places would work great. they are pretty bright (i used them as warning lights on an old 73 chevy i had (1 ton, on 38"tsl's)) and i now have one of them as a status light for my alarm on my 03. you would have to have about 15 of em, but it would work. and they would be un noticable in the daytime. you could also put them anywhere you wanted. you would just have to wire in a switch. easy as can be.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Originally posted by Annihil8or
No apology necessary! This may be a golden opportunity!
Here is a rough depiction of the concept I have in mind. Sorry about the model, it's the only pic I could find quickly. I added the amber part myself, quickly - keep in mind this is just a rough representation.
HEADLAMP9.GIF

:idea: Snakebit, maybe we ought team up, patent the idea, and build one. It could be the next trend in auto accessories. Look how neon glow caught on with the lowrider & ricer people! Not to mention glow in the dark keyboards, PC fans with rotating LED's, Neon lights/plexiglass windows inside of PC cases etc.

To cut production costs, lower the profile and battery size we could use a 360 degree sequential, chip-controlled, LED array. Using this design it wouldn't cost a lot to use multiple colors such as the original headset light - Red, White, Blue could be replaced by Amber (for tire changes, etc.), Red (for accidents/serious emergencies), Purple (to lure members of the opposite sex) Red/White/Blue for 4th of July & political rallies, show support for troops, etc.

There might even be a law enforcement application for this device, officers on bicycles & horseback could use them with interchangeable headlamp lenses for different purposes.

If the headlamp were detachable, this could be a big seller night ball games, parties, raves, concerts, etc. I have some experience in the direct response industry so I know how to market the device with free standing insert advertising, magazine ads, infomercials etc. PM me if you are interested. :beer:
I think it's spelled X-A-N-A-X. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread