What did you do for your Terminator today?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
View attachment 92912 Tried to recharge my AC in the cobra, the needle on the AC Pro I bought started going back and forth between red and green so I stopped. Walked to the driver side door to turn the car off and hurt and loud pop. The AC hose completely blew off and lost all the refrigerant, now I don't know if I need a new compressor or not. I noticed when the AC was on max, the compressor would turn on for 2 seconds, then stop, then turn on again and stop so I guess that means it's bad. Refrigerant went everywhere and looked like this, so I'm guessing it's time to replace the compressor, what do you guys think?

Did the compressor do that BEFORE or AFTER you hooked up that A/C Pro?

My guess is you over charged the system causing too much pressure. The high pressure is what caused your line to pop off AND caused your compressor to turn on and off for 2 seconds. The compressor has a built in pressure switch and when it is to high it will not turn on.

Since the system was open I would say replace the Receiver/Drier and maybe the expansion valve. Depending on your mileage it "might" be a good idea to replace the compressor, but based on what you said I don't think you will need too as it was turning on.

Once all that is done the system will need to be vacuumed out for about 45 minuets. Then hold the vacuum for 15 minuets and see if the vacuum holds. If it does that means there are no leaks and then the system can be charged with the recommended amount of Freon.

MUSTANG
1997-2004 All Engines R134a 34.00 PAG 46 8.50

That's 34 ounces of R134 refrigerant and 8.50 ounces of #46 PAG oil. However, that's for an empty system. You will probably only need to add the 34 ounces of R134.

http://www.techchoiceparts.com/refrigerant-and-oil-capacities/ford

Hope this helps. I'm no trained expert. However, I have done this to my cars as I enjoy learning this type of stuff. So far I fixed the A/C in my 1999 Contour and my 2006 Ford Five Hundred. Go on YouTube and you will see videos on how to do this. You will need an A/C system vacuum and an A/C pressure gauge set which is also used to add the R134.

mikesMG

Established Member
Holy cow man! I went with a 3" upper to be more on the safe side. The car did 607/548 on 17lbs. I'm guessing my torque numbers are lower due to the larger pulley. Do you know the duty cycle of your pumps? Mine was like 85% I think. Has me wishing I would have upgraded the pumps instead of doing a BAP
I'm not sure of the duty cycle, but I am sure that I can find that out from the tuner.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I'm not sure of the duty cycle, but I am sure that I can find that out from the tuner.
I am in the process of switching to a 2.3 TVS but i had a 2.3 whipple with a BAP and 60s. I was about about 85% duty cycle also for over 2 years now car runs strong. Im holding out on making changes until i just do a full return system.

Dimitri318

Established Member
Did the compressor do that BEFORE or AFTER you hooked up that A/C Pro?

My guess is you over charged the system causing too much pressure. The high pressure is what caused your line to pop off AND caused your compressor to turn on and off for 2 seconds. The compressor has a built in pressure switch and when it is to high it will not turn on.

Since the system was open I would say replace the Receiver/Drier and maybe the expansion valve. Depending on your mileage it "might" be a good idea to replace the compressor, but based on what you said I don't think you will need too as it was turning on.

Once all that is done the system will need to be vacuumed out for about 45 minuets. Then hold the vacuum for 15 minuets and see if the vacuum holds. If it does that means there are no leaks and then the system can be charged with the recommended amount of Freon.

MUSTANG
1997-2004 All Engines R134a 34.00 PAG 46 8.50

That's 34 ounces of R134 refrigerant and 8.50 ounces of #46 PAG oil. However, that's for an empty system. You will probably only need to add the 34 ounces of R134.

http://www.techchoiceparts.com/refrigerant-and-oil-capacities/ford

Hope this helps. I'm no trained expert. However, I have done this to my cars as I enjoy learning this type of stuff. So far I fixed the A/C in my 1999 Contour and my 2006 Ford Five Hundred. Go on YouTube and you will see videos on how to do this. You will need an A/C system vacuum and an A/C pressure gauge set which is also used to add the R134.

I honestly have no idea if the compressor was doing that before I tried to recharge it. I talked to a local AC shop and they said they'd only charge me $40 to check everything over and see exactly what's wrong with it. I can do the work myself but just wanted them to take a look at and make sure I don't need a new comprsssor or if it's just a receiver,drier. The car only has 55k on it but the previous owner swapped the motor and told me there was only about 30k on this motor but who knows. I'll see what the shop says and let you know and we'll go from there i guess

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I talked to a local AC shop and they said they'd only charge me $40 to check everything over and see exactly what's wrong with it. I'll see what the shop says and let you know and we'll go from there i guess

Yeah, if they can look it over for only $40, then I say that is your best bet to figure out exactly what the problem is.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
it made 603@6400rpm on 93 with 18* timing. I honestly don't beat on the car that often but I did make sure that it was safe and he told me yes confidently.
It's not my car so you can do as you please. I know my previous tuner wouldn't touch anything over 18lbs on 93. I don't beat on my car a whole lot and I'm running e85.

Your running as much boost as some of us on e85. One bad tank of gas is all it takes. I test all the ethanol that goes in my tank. But no one ever tests regular fuel.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
It's not my car so you can do as you please. I know my previous tuner wouldn't touch anything over 18lbs on 93. I don't beat on my car a whole lot and I'm running e85.

Your running as much boost as some of us on e85. One bad tank of gas is all it takes. I test all the ethanol that goes in my tank. But no one ever tests regular fuel.

I agree, better safe than sorry when you really have no clue what you're pumping into your tank (with the exception of pump side testing of ethanol).

I mean you could allow some wiggle room running 20+psi pump gas, but that would mean the tuner would most likely take out a BUNCH of timing. I'd rather run 17-18 psi and get that timing back. Or best yet....spin that sucker to 22 psi on E85 with MEGA timing bwahaha

kallen

Established Member
cobra garage.jpg
Cleaned it up a bit, waiting on a shipment from auto geek so I can address some of the fine scratches. Tried the diluted woolite on the alcantara, seemed to work pretty well but the seats weren't bad anyway. Dropped in some new Cobra logo floor mats as well.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
View attachment 93057Cleaned it up a bit, waiting on a shipment from auto geek so I can address some of the fine scratches. Tried the diluted woolite on the alcantara, seemed to work pretty well but the seats weren't bad anyway. Dropped in some new Cobra logo floor mats as well.

What car cover is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNISTR1

Established Member
No pictures but over the weekend I did new rotors and pads all around. Whilst doing the back I discovered I was blessed with a GT rotor on the driver side. I also had quite the conversation with the emergency brake spring. Still have to get that confounded thing back in.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
its a Covercraft, only for indoor use. Fits the car pretty well and covers the wheels also without touching the ground.

That's likely why you have the fine scratches. Same thing with mine. The PO thought he was doing the car justice by covering it in his attached garage. I hate car covers with a passion if it's not out in the sun or something. All they do is scratch the paint

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
That's likely why you have the fine scratches. Same thing with mine. The PO thought he was doing the car justice by covering it in his attached garage. I hate car covers with a passion if it's not out in the sun or something. All they do is scratch the paint

I would say if the car is clean before you put it on and you have a quality cover you should be fine. I personally want one because mine sits in the garage and accumulates dust on it. Especially for winter as well as I got two young kids that run around out there. One knows better the other doesn't.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I put a Kenne Bell fuel rail pressure sensor disk on mine tonight that I ordered. Had to make sure there was actually a hole in it lol. Takes 5 min and I'm a mediocre shade tree mechanic at best

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I put a Kenne Bell fuel rail pressure sensor disk on mine tonight that I ordered. Had to make sure there was actually a hole in it lol. Takes 5 min and I'm a mediocre shade tree mechanic at best

Do you have to bleed of pressure to do this? Or can you just put it on?

Users who are viewing this thread