What did you do to your foxbody mustang today?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks, unfortunately, I inherited the car a little over 2 year ago (was dad's). The mesh wheels were just some junk I had lying around to go to the paint shop. (might have come off a 90's Grand Marquis). According to shop, they don't have a lot of guys that want to work on the older stuff, so car sat outside for months before it got done. Kudos to you guys that can align doors (especially a 4 door), would have taken me months.

The 5 spoke white wheels are AR, but made in Germany or Italy, IIRC.

20180514_191002.jpg

Couple more pics of odds and ends

Long block

IMG_1166a.jpg

HB

IMG_1250.JPG

sag for HB

IMG_1246.JPG

Dual catch cans. One can goes to gutted PCV, the other, is T'd together from "PVC" fitting/lines off each valve cover. Nothing goes back into intake.

IMG_1240.JPG

LSC 8.8

2014-04-21_17-45-06_468.jpg

With my Capri, will detail that car some other day.

2011-07-14_20-00-46_930.jpg
Like Andy said, that's the definition of a real sleeper!

Thanks for the additional info on the wheels, and sharing pics/info on the mods. Your dad would be proud to see it as it sits now.

That a nice Capri, too. They're a rare sight nowadays. So nice to see one again. Back then, I actually preferred the Capri over the Mustang, but never got to own one.

OX1

Established Member
Like Andy said, that's the definition of a real sleeper!

Thanks for the additional info on the wheels, and sharing pics/info on the mods. Your dad would be proud to see it as it sits now.

That a nice Capri, too. They're a rare sight nowadays. So nice to see one again. Back then, I actually preferred the Capri over the Mustang, but never got to own one.

Thanks again. I got the Capri due to an early form of ADM on Mustangs. I drove an 86 5.0 LX that had a couple options, but wasn't even a GT. Ford dealer wanted right around sticker.

Summit NJ Linc/Merc had 3 Capri's in the back lot, all sunk down in the mud (spoilers weren't even on them, as they came in the hatch from factory and were dealer installed), no one wanted them.

Capri was loaded (only option I didn't get was cruise and auto of course). Mercury dealer knocked off $950ish (which was a lot back then, on a car that stickered for $13,551). Ford dealer even tried to convince me motor in Stang had more power than Capri. I didn't know either way, but Capri advertisement said same HP. And the rest is History.

Think I posted this before, but here it is again just for kicks.

CAPRI%20ORIGINAL%20RECIEPTa.jpg

OX1

Established Member
Awesome back story. So you're the original owner. Awesome!

Yes, my first new car. Still my favorite too, lotta memories. I remember a car full of "kids" going skiing, the first time driving those gatorbacks in the snow. Not a fun day.
Got a set of eagle mud and snows for the rear the next winter. The third winter I got a BII, Capri never saw rain or snow again.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Now THAT is a rarity. You being the original owner of not only a Ford/Mercury '86 muscle car, but a Capri. I can't remember the last time I saw a Capri. I'm sure your family loves it, and the memories with it.

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
An LTD and Capri, very nice! Can't even remember the last time I saw either one on the road. These is just something about these old cars that make them fun to drive. The new cars do everything so well and effortlessly, it takes some of the character away.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Very fast shipping from Steeda. I didn't install them yet. I'm going to order up new hardware for the headlights. My seals are pretty worn and missing some nuts.

I feel they might look good on this dark blue. We shall see.
874d99f1b12eef985155d445b78e8964.jpg
a62b1a3980ab7f7abc14fef04f5cc9ae.jpg
e14f6262279e06c3b43c356098d19a7c.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Mustang5L5

Established Member
I'm actually surprised Steeda still sells that style. I haven't seen them for sale in a long time from the other vendors.

I had a set on my car that I bought 10+ years ago. Ultimately I ended up removing them for a set of OEM clear lights. I did like how they look, but there were some angles of the car where they looked like a dirty brown.

1644513707503.png

I actually have a full set of NOS headlights in boxes. I was going to install those until i started seeing the crazy prices they sell for. A set just sold for $3K on ebay. I'll stick to my LMR $120 stock oem headlights and let those sit in the boxes for now.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm actually surprised Steeda still sells that style. I haven't seen them for sale in a long time from the other vendors.

I had a set on my car that I bought 10+ years ago. Ultimately I ended up removing them for a set of OEM clear lights. I did like how they look, but there were some angles of the car where they looked like a dirty brown.

View attachment 1737602

I actually have a full set of NOS headlights in boxes. I was going to install those until i started seeing the crazy prices they sell for. A set just sold for $3K on ebay. I'll stick to my LMR $120 stock oem headlights and let those sit in the boxes for now.
Those actually look good.

Yeah I seen those on eBay. Honestly that makes me think of removing the mint ones on my 93 reef blue hatch and storing them. And just buy some reproduction ones from LMR.
1c7a8fea5c199a951af39d9f14fdde4d.jpg

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Yeah I seen those on eBay. Honestly that makes me think of removing the mint ones on my 93 reef blue hatch and storing them.
Why? You have a nice original car, I would keep it that way. If you uber worried about a rock chip, PPF the car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Very fast shipping from Steeda. I didn't install them yet. I'm going to order up new hardware for the headlights. My seals are pretty worn and missing some nuts.

I feel they might look good on this dark blue. We shall see.
a62b1a3980ab7f7abc14fef04f5cc9ae.jpg

Well what do you know. Brady, I've got that exact same Husky cart. I use it as my car washing station. Holds all of my washing supplies.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
Yeah I seen those on eBay. Honestly that makes me think of removing the mint ones on my 93 reef blue hatch and storing them. And just buy some reproduction ones from LMR.

I have no complaints from my LMR repros, but I also don't drive the car at night, in the rain and store it in a garage. Easy to keep something in nice shape when you don't use it I guess.

I bought the OEM lights with the intent of using them (i had the smoked at the time) but after seeing a few sets sell for $1K i decided to just squirrel them away. $3K however is just nuts.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have no complaints from my LMR repros, but I also don't drive the car at night, in the rain and store it in a garage. Easy to keep something in nice shape when you don't use it I guess.

I bought the OEM lights with the intent of using them (i had the smoked at the time) but after seeing a few sets sell for $1K i decided to just squirrel them away. $3K however is just nuts.
Yeah my cars don't get driven much at night anymore. Definitely don't see any rain.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Finally after a long wait, my hatch is back in my shop. Cleaned all the dust off, but I'll definitely want to do a paint correction at some point. It has a lot of fine scratches.

Also replacing the door striker bushings. Got drivers side done and ran out of time. I'll be back there tonight.
e595c028cbadb25a50ea3177c4ce7410.jpg

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
When you say your hatch is back in your shop, where WAS it? I know you were talking about cleaning it up using a wetless wash system. Where did you have that done? You didn't want to take it out on the winter (salted) roads, right?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
When you say your hatch is back in your shop, where WAS it? I know you were talking about cleaning it up using a wetless wash system. Where did you have that done? You didn't want to take it out on the winter (salted) roads, right?
It been at a repair shop next to my shop for two months! I told him to take his time, he's always busy. I could have done the work myself. But it needed a complete coolant flush to get the red coolant out. And that would require a garden hose and make a mess of things in my shop. I don't have a drain in the main area. And it's winter, otherwise I would have done it at my house. The water pump was bad as well. And for some reason it had 160" t stat in it.

I could have waited until spring and fixed it myself. Next time I will. At least it's done. I'll be installing new Flowmaster catback exhaust on it at some point.

On a side note, tonight I continued working on cleaning the seats. Hopefully soon I'll start working on the paint.

And new plates!
f64d1928d1535708f2c2c7bde7c2b2d2.jpg
d0d89a7d0e9c42c62639de6588dcce02.jpg
84b3e703fb02a52c98578dff5d3f86bc.jpg
f0a20147eb2846d39f449b982ee6eb75.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread