What did you use to hold hood flaps open?

Stang2WRX

Established Member
Hey guys I did the hood mod..

My hood was fully painted so I left the liner off...

As far as the flaps, I used the 3m plastic velcro stuff that you get to keep your EZpass on your windshield...

I don't know if the "hinges" are going to wear out by openning and closing them, but the car will rarely if EVER see rain. I just close them to wash it (not that it's water tight).

Problem is I noticed, when the engine bay gets hot the plastic velcro must soften too much because when I pop the hood, the flaps are both down.

Any suggestions?

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
I use the industrial strength velcro. Im not sure if its got a higher heat rating or what, but its held my vents open with no problem.

MyT-Mouse

Established Member
Put the hood blanket back on and keep the flaps under it. You really don't need to close the vents to wash it. I have had mine tucked under for 2 months now and there are no issues with water...

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
Yeah, either tuck them under the blanket or remove them all together... there is no water issues with it.. the only reason they have the traps is for climates with ice, if you were to leave them open, there would be a chance of ice forming on the belts...

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Originally posted by MyT-Mouse
Put the hood blanket back on and keep the flaps under it. You really don't need to close the vents to wash it. I have had mine tucked under for 2 months now and there are no issues with water...

So are you basically saying you folded the flaps back under the stock hood blanket without doing the cutting of the "hood mod"?

akaeric

Established Member
What are you suppost to get out of having the scoops open? With a closed air intake other than maybe letting out some heat and the holes are backward I don't see the what it can help. I'm asking from being curious not trying to be smart are anything like that.:rockon:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Originally posted by akaeric
What are you suppost to get out of having the scoops open? With a closed air intake other than maybe letting out some heat and the holes are backward I don't see the what it can help. I'm asking from being curious not trying to be smart are anything like that.:rockon:
every little bit helps.

FKing1

Established Member
Originally posted by akaeric
With the hood closed, put your hand over the vents with cut off or folded back flaps and you will see. Much heat!
Fred K.

:sleeping:

Users who are viewing this thread