What did you use to hold hood flaps open?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Soooo anyone want to explain the flaps folded back under the blanket idea? Is that with or without cutting?

<--"you'll have to excuse my friend, he's a little slow" :beer:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by mwaull
pictures??? under and over the hood . . .
COBRA_modded_liner_web.jpg

I cut the vents off, and have had no problems. I painted the trimmed edges of the liner with high-temp epoxy and have had no issues.

I put two folded towels over the vents when washing.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Day after I bought the car...
Before I removed the blanket...
Cut em off...
Helps create more negative air pressure behind the rad at speed... which helps to get air through...
Also even at lights and stop signs... with just the fan on, It makes it easier for the hot air to get out.... which makes it easier for the outside air to come through the rad...
I think it's a good idea...

Jimmy
:thumbsup:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by KNGOBRA
What do you do when it rains.... :shrug:
As long as you're moving, it's no problem. When stopped, the water drips between the crank pulley and radiator. Exactly the reason the flaps are there, to prevent ice from forming on the belts.

What you have to remember is the hood vents are open holes, any way you slice it. Do you want the water to run down over the belts, or run out all over the front of the hoodliner, thereby ruining it?

BTW: I have a second vehicle ('03 F150), so I've only been caught in the rain twice in two years/11,000 miles, so it's a non-issue with my car...

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Even Ford said the slits are for heat extraction, so opening them up is a plus, as long as ice isn't a factor as mentioned above.

akaeric

Established Member
I live in a sub tropical area there is at least 30% chance of thunderstorms everyday so I would have to leavethem on and be able to close them at any moment. Some kind of screen would be nice to keep dirt out of the engine department would be easy to do just have to blow it clear with air once in a while.

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Honestly, whats the big worry with rain? I drive my car every day, rain or shine, and ive never once had a problem relating to the fact that my hood vents are wide open. About the most major thing i notice after driving in the rain is some water spots on things under the hood, whooptie-doo.

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Originally posted by akaeric
I live in a sub tropical area there is at least 30% chance of thunderstorms everyday so I would have to leavethem on and be able to close them at any moment.

I think you are being a little too cautious.

I live in southeast LA, where there ARE thunderstorms everyday. Hell, we have a tropical wave coming in this evening from the Gulf. I have no problem leaving the flaps open. As I previously mentioned, I even cut them off. There is no reason for you to panic and have to rush out and fold the flaps back into place before it rains.

:beer:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Originally posted by beerkat
Flaps tuck under hood blanket.:p

So no cutting of the blanket, just stuffing back in? Thats probably the easiest solution for me :D

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I have never gotten belt squeel from rain or huge ass "Houston Flood Puddles"
It get more belt squeel from my 89 Squire wagon(from puddles)

Water spots.... Ok they are annoying
But not near as annoying as getting fiberglass stuck in your fingers from trying to clean near that blankety blank blank blanket

It's in the trash where it belongs :mj: :cuss: :fm:
I hated that thing!!!!

Jimmy:thumbsup:

MyT-Mouse

Established Member
Originally posted by 03 DSG Snake
So are you basically saying you folded the flaps back under the stock hood blanket without doing the cutting of the "hood mod"?

I actually cut out the blanket to match the opening.

Users who are viewing this thread