What exactly is the "stalling" problem w/03's??

mike99

Established Member
I've read some post refering to the "stalling problem"... Does anyone have the scoop on this? I have to be careful when I take off from a stop or the car will stall? Is this the issue? I thought it might be because of the stiffer clutch gripping too well stalling the motor. If there's a fix for this I'd like to do it though...

fakesnake.com

Established Member
I'd like to know myself. I did a search and found your thread after my call stalled today midway through a right hand turn at 25 miles per hour. Kinda scarry as I lost all power and had to turn hard so as not to hit medium.

This has never happened before.

Last edited:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Try a search, but here is a summary:
There are 2 types of stalling.
1) You are approaching a stoplight, slowing, and dump the clutch - the car RPMs drop to about 500 - if the engine catches, the car steadies idle and does not stall. if it doesn't, it dies. Starts right up again.

2) Some have reported the stall in turns, but I am not convinced it is any different than #1, just scarier cause you lose power steering!

There is a service message, and I am going to have my car reflashed this week.

16293 2003 MUSTANG COBRA - STALL ON DECEL
SOME 2003 MUSTANG COBRA VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT AN ENGINE QUIT CONDITION ON DECELERATION. THE ENGINE WILL RESTART IMMEDIATELY. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE CALIBRATION OF THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM). TO SERVICE, VERIFY CONDITION & REPROGRAM THE PCM WITH THE LATEST CALIBRATION AVAILABLE VIA THE JUST IN TIME PROCESS IF YOUR WDS COMMUNICATES WITH FORDSTAR. CALIBRATIONS ARE ALSO AVAILABLE ON THE PROFESSIONAL TECHNICIAN SOCIETY (PTS) WEBSITE - SELECT 'WDS' THEN 'PCM REPROGRAMMING' AND CLICK 'INSTRUCTIONS' FOR DOWNLOADING. THE CALIBRATIONS WILL ALSO BE AVAILABLE ON WDS RELEASE B21.3.

Oasis #3933

fakesnake.com

Established Member
Choice #1 is exactly what happened to me. I wonder if it has anything to do with me putting in densecharger and resetting computer 2 weeks ago by disconnecting battery.

10k miles and this is the first time it has happened.

03cobravert

I've put 2k miles on my cobra, and it has "stalled" on me about 6 times. It did it b4 Densecharger, and after, so I don't think it is the CAI. I've not reset my computer, nor have had it flashed. I'm thinking I will, but I hate to take it in. I'm not sure what I will do, but it is a PITA! :cuss:

f4sfed

Established Member
I have heard that SVT is asking people if they've installed an oil based air filter. If so, they are suggesting to check the MAF for any "chunks" that might have TRIED to get past the little wires inside, but didn't. If there are any little presents stuck on the MAF wires, it could throw off the reading it passes to the computer.

With that said....I'm not sure how many people had THIS issue cause the stalling.

HTH

f4sfed

Established Member
Actually my car started stalling after I installed the chip. As it turns out, that was causing my stalling issue, and is being reburned as I type. :)

SB 03

Established Member
does it matter if it is a first or second run cobra? Its cold here now, and on clear days I will drive the car, but when the car is cold it hesitates a little, but once warmed up no problems

Aharon

Established Member
You can reproduce the stall!! I was able to reproduce it on demand, and threatened to video it every time and bring it into the dealer ;)

It will stall most when the engine is cold, directly after starting up.. Pull out of your parking space, gun the car, then jam on the breaks (to the point the abs kicks on).. Make sure the A/C is off, and make sure you are pressing in the clutch while braking.

If you dont have the latest PCM code installed, YDHO or better, your car should stall.. Atleast mine did.. Got it to stall like 20+ times that way.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> With that said....I'm not sure how many people had THIS issue cause the stalling.

K&N drop-in. No issues with stalling. After MagnaFlow Tru-X w/ cats & cat-back...Now that is another story. Driven 100+ miles since install - Should be enough for ECU to adjust A/F. When letting off clutch in 1st (normal driving), RPMs drop below 500 before recovering. Anybody else experiencing this?

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by ox03
> With that said....I'm not sure how many people had THIS issue cause the stalling.

K&N drop-in. No issues with stalling. After MagnaFlow Tru-X w/ cats & cat-back...Now that is another story. Driven 100+ miles since install - Should be enough for ECU to adjust A/F. When letting off clutch in 1st (normal driving), RPMs drop below 500 before recovering. Anybody else experiencing this?
Disconnect your battery for 15 minutes. Mine doesn't stall anymore. Not that it stalled that many times before, but it hasn't stalled for the last 1100 miles. I put my Magnaflow system on at 1320 miles. How's that for coincidence? I have about 2200 now.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
If I did that each time i pulled out of a parking place??? What???

If it hurts, dont do it again.
I have 2200 and some change, never stalled, no pull to either direction, no problems.. NO vibration at any speed..
life is good...:lol:

good luck

:beer:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> If I did that each time i pulled out of a parking place??? What???

03DOHC is referring to a one-time reset (per mod) which I will try first thing tommorrow.

03DOHC

Established Member
> If I did that each time i pulled out of a parking place??? What???

03DOHC is referring to a one-time reset (per mod) which I will try first thing tommorrow.
You got it.:thumbsup:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Disconnected battery for a day. Drove around the block. Car stalled. Did not start up RIGHT AWAY. Started on second crank. This is a serious problem! I'll post a new thread.

03DOHC

Established Member
Disconnected battery for a day. Drove around the block. Car stalled. Did not start up RIGHT AWAY. Started on second crank. This is a serious problem! I'll post a new thread.
Drive it for a while. Mine stalled once after I reset the computer. Give it a few drive cycles to "learn", then if it still does it you have a problem.

bender460

Established Member
I could reproduce it every time also. Mine did it with cluch in coast over 30mph, stalled every time. Reset the computer hasn't done it since.

lebda

Established Member
I took mine in yesterday for the same stalling problem. They said there is a new factory re-burn for the PCU. I haven't got the car back yet, but this was their solution. Post reply or PM me in a few days for more feedback. I tried reseting the computer in every way and it didn't help. I have the Densecharger installed, but not the chip yet. The chip I was told will NOT solve the problem.

[sky]03cobra

Established Member
any of u guys getting your check engine light on for any of these problems... Mine keeps coming on after having reset it several times, however its not lacking in performance.

Users who are viewing this thread