What gears are ya runnin, or wanna run??

What gears are ya runnin?

• 3:31

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • 3:55 (stock)

Votes: 79 62.7%
  • 3:73

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • 3:90

Votes: 15 11.9%
  • 4:10

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • 4:30

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sin

Established Member
Wanted to know the opinions of a gear swap. Who's done it? Who's going to? Why not to? and everyones results....Im aware it can be for different reasons but I wanted to pick some brains to determine if its a good thing. The stock 3.55's are great but is anyone lookin for something different?????????????????????

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
agreed. i also have a 8.8" 3.73 as well as a 4.30, but i don't think i'll be using them (leftover from my old 99 cobra). The 3.55 is a great every-day gear. The only alternative i would consider is the 3.73, but the price-to-performance ratio of the gear swap isn't worth it to me (unless you do it yourself, then its work-to-performance ratio :)).

-Brian

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
well, it all depends on what type of racing you will be doing. If you are at the drag strip all the time you might want 3.73-4.10, but these cars make so much tq you don't need alot of gear anyway.

But for me, the 3.55 is perfect. Most of the races here are from a roll so I don't need anything higher.

fryingricecobra

Crappyservice=Nocustomers
Established Member
I have been running the 4.10s for a week now. I have been to the track two times since having them installed. I don't like them for the track. They are hurting my times. In the 1/4 I am deep into 5th (while on the juice) by the time I cross the line. Traction is almost non existent with these when you really get on it.

On the highway they are a blast but if you are planning on running at the track much stick with the 3.55's

---Frying Rice---

Nino

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
How about the 3.90s? Anyone running those? I wouldn't mind more gear with sticky tires.

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
I still have the 3.55's but I think that a 3.73 or 3.90 would actually be a lot better for running around the city with. a bit easier moving it off the line when driving easily. I find that with the combination of heavy car, high first gear and light aluminum flywheel the clutch/gas engagement is a bit more delicate than some other cars.
Gord

juicedgt02

Established Member
I just haad 3.73s installed on my 02 GT, so far I love them and can't wait untill this Saturday, when I get a chip and my car will be tuned, than I will run the juice ans see how it does feel. I can't wait :cryying: :beer: :beer:

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
I ran 4.10's in my 97 & 99 Cobra. That was mandatory and made a huge improvement. I feel 4.10's would be to much for the 03 Cobra. I can't see changing to a 3.73. Better off to mod in other areas. It all comes down to what you are doing with the car. The stock gear all around is great.

Silver 03 Cobra

I run 3.90's now after I replaced the 4.10's I started out with. To tell you the truth I ran on average better with the 4.10's at the track. I am at 6200 rpm in third at the line in the 1/8 and the same in fouth in the 1/4.

fryinrice, what times and traps are you getting to be in fifth? WIth 4.10s I was a little over 7k rpm in fouth at the line. What rev were you shifting at?

juicedgt02

Established Member
I feel 4.10's would be to much for the 03 Cobra. I can't see changing to a 3.73. Better off to mod in other areas. It all comes down to what you are doing with the car. The stock gear all around is great.
If I had the 3.55s I wouldn't even touch the gears, but going from 3.27s to 3.73 is a big improvement and I love this "mod":beer: :beer:

MooseWS6

another f-body guy
Established Member
Originally posted by fryingricecobra
11.25 at 125mph is the best so far. Thats while I am on the bottle.
Off the bottle I am pegging 4th at the line at about 7000rpms.
I am running a very small shot.

What size tire are you using? maybe try a 1" taller to get you through.

davidmax

Established Member
I run a 410,my theory is that with a 7500 RPM redline I want to use as much of it as possible and still keep everyday driveability.I know every day is great and she will see the track in 2-3 weeks(NOT SOON ENOUGH).Dave S.

Rwick7

Established Member
I just put in a solid rear with 3.73's, I'll let you know how much they helped as soon as I get to the track

Users who are viewing this thread