What happened to a significantly smaller and lighter 2015 Mustang?

13GT5.0

Established Member
And a dohc 5.0 engine requires 3 extra cams and twice as many valves to make as much power as an lsx or hemi. I'm not sure I'm understanding your point. I personally prefer more power and torque down low. Having to rev an engine up to 7k to get any power and enjoyment out of it just sucks ass to me.

If you prefer pushrod buy a hemi or ls motor. I have had all three and they each of their highlights...for street racing a boosted coyote is my choice.

JP0814GT

Established Member
I would like to see a 400 inch coyote motor lol fords been making good power on small cubes. But I'd like to see fords new technology in a bigger cube motor ;) HP per cubic inch ford wins.

JP0814GT

Established Member
Mustangs are not great for rear seat passengers kids will work once there big enough to crawl back their and buckle them selves. If you got to do car seat its a pita.
If I were having to dd my car and had the money for that new 4 door twin turbo porche seen one spank a vette on i-20 in Columbia SC last week.

Last edited:

Lemers

Established Member
The back seats are useful to me for 1 reason

I had a 370z for my last car and sold it when I deployed. When I return to the states I get to buy a new car. Only 1 stipulation from the wife. It must have back seats. The kids will fit in a pinch and I'm not in the habit of driving a bunch of adults around.

So for me it's a to and from work car and date night car. We take the SUV for family trips.

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Established Member
And a dohc 5.0 engine requires 3 extra cams and twice as many valves to make as much power as an lsx or hemi. I'm not sure I'm understanding your point. I personally prefer more power and torque down low. Having to rev an engine up to 7k to get any power and enjoyment out of it just sucks ass to me.

And driving around lugging your engine around so you can brag about your 0-3000 rpm torque advantage sounds like a diesel or electric motor fetish to me. Mod motors are still hamstrung by their bore spacing. If it ever changes it will be clear which design is better. I would love to see a de-stroked over-square 6.2 with Coyote style heads with 8000 rpm potential appear but I doubt it will ever happen anywhere outside of a Ford lab.

darreng505

Established Member
Stop being a dum dum. The reduction in CI's can mean more space for thicker/stronger sidewalls, so if I can get the same power from a 302 road runner/coyote as a bigger CI LS3, I'm taking the coyote ALL DAY LONG.

the 5.0 coyote makes right around 445HP at 6600RPM see how high that engine has to rev to make its peak power.
reduction in cubic inches? are you kidding me? reduction from what was there in the first place to require a reduction? the mustang gained cubic inches over a 4.6l which displaced 281" a reduction in cubic inches doesn't mean stronger cylinder wall's. bore spacing, material's and how wide the deck's are will dictate that. look at the 6.2l ford uses in the raptor/superduty truck's 4 inch bore's that block is strong as hell even with an aluminum block that engine would still be strong.
yes the LS engines can use a tad more spacing but still those engines have the advantage on pushing MORE AIR and FUEL something the 5.0 will never be able to do. DUM DUM
...........................................................................................................

Reduction compared to the LS big bore motors. Duh.

Also, RPMS are not a liability. Race motors need RPMS. Indy cars rev to 18000 RPMS. I hope you're not claiming that its a liability to use high RPMS....:shrug:

darreng505

Established Member
Push-Rod engines are riddled with parasitic loss, thus, a larger displacement is required to contend with Over Head Cams. The reason pushrod engines cannot rev high is due to valve float and the inefficient action of the push rods themselves. Even the mighty LS7 has horrible valve float... OHV engines are basically forced to produce power at a lower RPM, they just lose power once the RPM's raise, friction from the push rods invite parasitic losses AND, the inefficient action of those rods translate to poor valve control and valve float...

Chevy needs to go DOHC... But they are stuck now after investing $820 million dollars into the LT1 program. They could have engineered a great 4.5-5.5 liter DOHC for the same cost... Even now, DOHC R&D cost have sunk below the OHV engines due to widespread, worldwide use.

The complexity of Variable Valve Timing in an OHV is also slightly greater than the TiVCT in a DOHC. This VCT technology is key to the survival of the V8.

Total valve area in a DOHC is twice the size of a 2 valve pushrod. Say a large 2.02 intake valve compared to the dual intake valves of a Coyote... The total area is almost 3 inches compared to the 2 of a heavy OHV. You have to shim some OHV heads because of this...

Engine weight: The Coyote 5.0 now weighs less than Chevy's new LT1. The Coyote is 429lbs wet, ready to run. The LT1 took on 30-40lbs over the LS3 (418lbs), about the same as the LS7 (450lbs). All advantages have been lost...

Exactly. And guess what? The new C7.R at Daytona 24 has overheating issues!! Your point about engine heat and longevity is proved.

Users who are viewing this thread