What happened to a significantly smaller and lighter 2015 Mustang?

CAMMD97GT

Build in Progress
Established Member
From the latest that I have heard around these parts (South East Michigan, Ford Country), the new car will actually be heavier than the out going car. But with the new front and rear suspension, engines, and body will make up for it. The power to weight ratio will still be better than the old car.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Complete redesigns are typically when drastic improvements are revealed. In 2011 everyone was shocked and confused as to why the 5.0 mustang didn't get direct injection. Now as 2015 approaches, everyone is once again shocked and confused as to why the mustang isn't getting direct injection. If its not coming in 2015, you're not getting it in 2016 or 2017 either. What value would it add for ford to R&D a direct injection setup for a v8 that already gets 26+ mpg on the highway and has over 400hp? The Mustang has never been known to be a very technologically advanced car. It's just now getting IRS after much heavy criticism from most of the auto industry.

I'd have to disagree. In 1996 the cobra got a 32v 4 cam engine. It was the cheapest vehicle in production with that type of engine for it's time. In 99, and 01 the cobras got IRS, then again through 03-04. The engines from SVT for the cobras and GT500's are hand built, just like AMG Mercedes engines. The current GT500 has a carbon fiber driveshaft, I can't name any other factory vehicle to have that.

The live axle 8.8 has lived on, as the core mustang group have gripped about the reliability of the IRS. Ford used to be a big sponsor of FFW. They know their target audience. Hopefully the new IRS will be beefier than that offered on the Cobra's as those were prone to breakage.

50 Proof

Established Member
I'd have to disagree. In 1996 the cobra got a 32v 4 cam engine. It was the cheapest vehicle in production with that type of engine for it's time. In 99, and 01 the cobras got IRS, then again through 03-04. The engines from SVT for the cobras and GT500's are hand built, just like AMG Mercedes engines. The current GT500 has a carbon fiber driveshaft, I can't name any other factory vehicle to have that.

The live axle 8.8 has lived on, as the core mustang group have gripped about the reliability of the IRS. Ford used to be a big sponsor of FFW. They know their target audience. Hopefully the new IRS will be beefier than that offered on the Cobra's as those were prone to breakage.

Your point is moot considering that the mustang was built on top of a rickety pos Fairmont chassis that dates back to 1979 and the 2005 up is simply utilizing a repurposed luxury car chassis that wasn't even intended for a manual transmission pony car.

IRS and overhead cam engines are not by any means "technologically advanced", especially for the late 90's and early 2000's. Ford has always been incredibly slow to adopt new technology with the mustang. That's not meant to be an insult. The mustang is still bad ass without utilizing bleeding edge technology.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Your point is moot considering that the mustang was built on top of a rickety pos Fairmont chassis that dates back to 1979 and the 2005 up is simply utilizing a repurposed luxury car chassis that wasn't even intended for a manual transmission pony car.

IRS and overhead cam engines are not by any means "technologically advanced", especially for the late 90's and early 2000's. Ford has always been incredibly slow to adopt new technology with the mustang. That's not meant to be an insult. The mustang is still bad ass without utilizing bleeding edge technology.

I agree.

Ford decided to up the cubic inches, install non restrictive heads, a set of nice cams, shorty headers, and a nice intake on the coyote engine. No wonder it makes power, it has the right recipe to make power. The coyote engine is not some magical design or anything out of the ordinary.

darreng505

Established Member

I disagree. The coyote 4 cam, 4v VCT motor is way ahead of other manufacturers still running iron block old pushrod motors technologically....I run at tracks where '05 and up corvettes are losing their motors left and right....one event last year THREE stock corvettes in the garages with me blew motors over 2 days....

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

They utilized 4valve technology in 96 not the late 90's. What was Dodge and Chevy doing back then? The Fairmont came out in 1978. The Lincoln LS was a very good handling sedan for its time. I believe that in some advertising Ford/Lincoln used it outhandled an equivalent 5 series BMW.

The current 5.0 is 4 valve with twin independent cam timing. Pretty impressive technology. How many other manufacturers have that in their V8 engines? Maybe Ford should build some cam in block setups for ya, like the cross town rivals?

The only thing that has been lacking from a technology stand point is the rear diff setup. The problem with many on this board/thread is they want cutting edge technology and a world beating car for $30K, they lose their minds hearing of $40K+ mustang GT's. If you want cutting edge and the best interiors purchase a C63 or an M3. But prepared to cut a check for $60-70K.

Voltwings

Established Member
I dont want direct injection. This coming from someone who has first hand experience with it, its awesome, until you run out... On my mazdaspeed3, the use of E85 was EXTRAORDINARY, because E85 has an effective octane of around 160 in DI applications. We were able to max out our cars with only 25% E85 per tank (including my 500 whp car), it was incredibly effective. Now that was great until the injectors were maxed. DI is still new, and the mustang / corvette are larger platforms so maybe replacement injectors will come sooner, but right now plug and play injectors are not an option. In the mazda / cobalt / GTI, basically any DI car that needed more fuel, we had to run a separate fuel injector(s) in our intercooler piping, with a stand alone controller spliced into the MAF. Luckily i tuned myself, but i was having to tune two maps simultaneously, and it was a huge pain in the ass. Theres also a second high pressure fuel pump (driven by the intake cam, on a V8, there could very well be two pumps) which could need upgrading if the car is not capable of keeping the fuel pressure needed (1600+). Theres also injector seals that are prone to blowing out with enough power, which can be detrimental to engine health ... DI is great, but it comes with a lot of headaches, and until i can pop injectors out and pop fresh ones in like PI i dont want it.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I dont want direct injection. This coming from someone who has first hand experience with it, its awesome, until you run out... On my mazdaspeed3, the use of E85 was EXTRAORDINARY, because E85 has an effective octane of around 160 in DI applications. We were able to max out our cars with only 25% E85 per tank (including my 500 whp car), it was incredibly effective. Now that was great until the injectors were maxed. DI is still new, and the mustang / corvette are larger platforms so maybe replacement injectors will come sooner, but right now plug and play injectors are not an option. In the mazda / cobalt / GTI, basically any DI car that needed more fuel, we had to run a separate fuel injector(s) in our intercooler piping, with a stand alone controller spliced into the MAF. Luckily i tuned myself, but i was having to tune two maps simultaneously, and it was a huge pain in the ass. Theres also a second high pressure fuel pump (driven by the intake cam, on a V8, there could very well be two pumps) which could need upgrading if the car is not capable of keeping the fuel pressure needed (1600+). Theres also injector seals that are prone to blowing out with enough power, which can be detrimental to engine health ... DI is great, but it comes with a lot of headaches, and until i can pop injectors out and pop fresh ones in like PI i dont want it.

This. A couple of guys have added injectors and fuel system to the Ecoboost 3.5 as it runs out of fuel. So far no aftermarket DI pumps or injectors. And how much of a PITA would it be to swap injectors on a DI engine?

Voltwings

Established Member
This. A couple of guys have added injectors and fuel system to the Ecoboost 3.5 as it runs out of fuel. So far no aftermarket DI pumps or injectors. And how much of a PITA would it be to swap injectors on a DI engine?

Not very, granted we had to take our intake manifold and fuel rail off, i could have it done in around 2 hours or so to replace injector seals for folks. That being said, PI injectors take what, 20 minutes? DI has its place, and it is the future, i just dont want it *YET*.

50 Proof

Established Member
I disagree. The coyote 4 cam, 4v VCT motor is way ahead of other manufacturers still running iron block old pushrod motors technologically....I run at tracks where '05 and up corvettes are losing their motors left and right....one event last year THREE stock corvettes in the garages with me blew motors over 2 days....

Variable cam timing is nothing new. OHV Pushrod motors were first introduced in the mid 1900's. OHC motors have been around since the early 1900's. The DOHC engine design has been used by many car manufacturers for much longer than the pushrod motor has. Best you learn a bit about engine history before you go ranting about pushrods being older. The only thing older about the pushrod 302 when compared to the 4.6 and 5.0 dohc engines is that ford built their ohc engines after the ohv engines. That does not make pushrod engine technology "older" by any means. One design is also not better than the other any more than you can prove that ford is better than Chevy or vice versa. Different strokes and it all gets the job done. Fords dohc engines are far from new technology. Don't mean to burst your ford bubble. Sorry dude.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Variable cam timing is nothing new. OHV Pushrod motors were first introduced in the mid 1900's. OHC motors have been around since the early 1900's. The DOHC engine design has been used by many car manufacturers for much longer than the pushrod motor has. Best you learn a bit about engine history before you go ranting about pushrods being older. The only thing older about the pushrod 302 when compared to the 4.6 and 5.0 dohc engines is that ford built their ohc engines after the ohv engines. That does not make pushrod engine technology "older" by any means. One design is also not better than the other any more than you can prove that ford is better than Chevy or vice versa. Different strokes and it all gets the job done. Fords dohc engines are far from new technology. Don't mean to burst your ford bubble. Sorry dude.

Calm down, its OK if the Coyote is a superior engine to what the cross town rivals offer. Its not a big deal, it's not the end of the world.

50 Proof

Established Member
Calm down, its OK if the Coyote is a superior engine to what the cross town rivals offer. Its not a big deal, it's not the end of the world.

Inferiority complex much? I appreciate all makes of cars. I've owned mustang cobras, 2v GTs, pushrod 5.0's, 5.7 hemis, 6.1 hemis, etc. I've yet to own a coyote 5.0. They are all bad ass in their own way. my only point being is that theres nothing technologically advanced about a coyote engine. Ford has proven over the years that they dont need to use bleeding edge technology for the mustang to be bad ass. If you want to believe that the coyote is bleeding edge and made by the hand of god, by all means. I got nothing to prove. The only one touting coyote > * is you. I used to say ford >* just like you, then I grew up.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Inferiority complex much? I appreciate all makes of cars. I've owned mustang cobras, 2v GTs, pushrod 5.0's, 5.7 hemis, 6.1 hemis, etc. I've yet to own a coyote 5.0. They are all bad ass in their own way. my only point being is that theres nothing technologically advanced about a coyote engine. Ford has proven over the years that they dont need to use bleeding edge technology for the mustang to be bad ass. If you want to believe that the coyote is bleeding edge and made by the hand of god, by all means. I got nothing to prove. The only one touting coyote > * is you. I used to say ford >* just like you, then I grew up.

You are rather sensitive, you're getting really riled up there.

I'll likely never own a Coyote powered vehicle btw, so you have me read all wrong.

50 Proof

Established Member
You are rather sensitive, you're getting really riled up there.

I'll likely never own a Coyote powered vehicle btw, so you have me read all wrong.

Umm no actually I'm quite calm. Just having an amusing conversation with someone who "thinks" they're getting me all worked up. I kinda thought you were the sensitive one...I'm not too into role playing lol

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

so you're saying that a DOHC twin variable timed V8 is not superior time to a cam in block OHV design? And name another DOHC VVT V8 vehicle that can be purchased NEW for $25K after rebates?

50 Proof

Established Member
so you're saying that a DOHC twin variable timed V8 is not superior time to a cam in block OHV design? And name another DOHC VVT V8 vehicle that can be purchased NEW for $25K after rebates?

First off, you're changing the argument. No one here is talking about superiority. That's a matter of opinion. One could argue that ford needs four whole ****ing cams and 32 valves just to make as much as HP as a 6.1 hemi with only one cam. Keep drinking that holier than though ford cool-aid.

Second off, rebates don't mean jack and are not available to everyone in the public. Just because you get offered certain incentives that reduce a vehicle to several thousand below MSRP doesn't mean that I will qualify for those same incentives.

Look I'm not bashing the mustang. I love mustangs. I don't get what your issue is.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
First off, you're changing the argument. No one here is talking about superiority. That's a matter of opinion. One could argue that ford needs four whole ****ing cams and 32 valves just to make as much as HP as a 6.1 hemi with only one cam. Keep drinking that holier than though ford cool-aid.

Second off, rebates don't mean jack and are not available to everyone in the public. Just because you get offered certain incentives that reduce a vehicle to several thousand below MSRP doesn't mean that I will qualify for those same incentives.

Look I'm not bashing the mustang. I love mustangs. I don't get what your issue is.

How's that changing the argument? Technology wise a 32V VVT V8 is superior to cam in block? yes or no?

Why does dodge need 1.1 cubic inches more with its far superior HEMI heads?

BTW, this is the car that is only availble to ME.

New 2014 Ford Mustang GT (Silver Car) | Serving Houston, Pearland & Katy Texas | AutoNation Ford Katy

Pssst.....they actually have a couple at that price. How much can you get a 392 Challenger for? They run equivalent 1/4 times.:beer:

50 Proof

Established Member
How's that changing the argument? Technology wise a 32V VVT V8 is superior to cam in block? yes or no?

New 2014 Ford Mustang GT (Silver Car) | Serving Houston, Pearland & Katy Texas | AutoNation Ford Katy

Pssst.....they actually have a couple at that price. How much can you get a 392 Challenger for? They run equivalent 1/4 times.:beer:

You've proven my point exactly. Ford gets the job done with four cams and 32 valves, dodge gets the job done with more cubic inches. Superiority is nothing more than a matter of opinion. If you want to sit here and argue who's opinion is better, by all means go for it. I personally don't see the point. Wtf difference does it make what either of us think is superior? Are you an automotive engineering major that can vouch for the engineering that went into the hemi and the dohc 5.0?
If your preference is an overhead cam engine, cool dude. The 5.0 is a sweet engine. I'd drop one in my 65 coupe if I didn't have to hack up the engine bay to make it work. But then again the hemi and lsx engines are bad ass too. I didn't realize I had to swear an allegiance to a single brand.

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member

Man I did not realize the price had dropped that much.

Users who are viewing this thread