What happened to a significantly smaller and lighter 2015 Mustang?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
No weights have been released except rumours have 400lb loss to 200 lb gain, so who knows
...and Edmunds is responsible for both those rumors... Careful, there is still some misinformation circulating.

It looks like the 5.0 GT will be almost the same weight as the 110 inch wheelbase, M4. The M4 is larger than the GT wheelbase wise and actually appears to be very similar in size.

The GT will weigh 3380lbs...

50 Proof

Established Member
The GT will weigh 3380lbs...

And then you woke up...
Think about it, if the Mustang had a drastic weight reduction, Ford would be bragging about it by now but they're not bragging about because the weight reduction is minimal and they don't want fans to be pissed off about it.

You know what might weigh 3380? The 2.3 turbo model with no drivetran.

Last edited:

BigBen408

Established Member
The 2015 is to the Foxbody as the 1973 mustang was to the 76 mustang 2. The 2015 is WAY TO BIG FORD. Don't care if its "European competitive". Don't care if it has "ball joint" suspension. Don't care about many other things. It has to be AMERICAN, it has to be always "V8 rear wheel drive". That IRS crap better take 6,000rpm clutch drops with slicks cuz the people will find its weakness.

JP0814GT

Established Member
I've been complaining about the IRS since i heard about it.. That's the main reason i leaped and got the 14 was due to it being the last year of the proven 8.8 live axle. They can keep their IRS.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Did anyone think the F150 would drop 700lbs? Is the Mustang already using the same materials as the new F150? Because Ford stated that the F150 is probably just one of many of their vehicles that will see such uses in materials which indicates the Fusion, Taurus, Explorer, and possibly Mustang could see weight decrease in upcoming models.

04svtsnke

Established Member
I've been complaining about the IRS since i heard about it.. That's the main reason i leaped and got the 14 was due to it being the last year of the proven 8.8 live axle. They can keep their IRS.

Many sports cars use an irs and don't have problems. Ford knows they messed up in the past. Waiting for one to actually be tested and put through the ringer would be the only way to jump to any logical conclusions about the irs.

nicksender

Established Member
I would like to see both a decent increase in power and a significant reduction in weight. Unfortunately; Ford seems to be dancing around both right now which is probably smart at this point.

However; I think we'll only see a minor uptick in HP/TQ and a minor reduction in weight on the GT.

It it was my choice I would take a few hundred lb. weight reduction instead of any power increase; but that's fantasy.

Onslaught 001

Established Member
What's wrong with comparing it to the BRZ? A coworker of mine has one and it's an awesome handling car, just very underpowered. Could you imagine a car like that with 400+ hp?? It would be amazing and the mustang would destroy the BRZ. Just push the tires a bit further out to the ends of the car and make the car shorter as a whole so it's not so damn big.

BRZ - 101" WB, 60" TW, 166 x 70" body

03 - 101" WB, 60" TW, 183 x 73" body

11 - 107" WB, 62" TW, 188 x 74" body

15 - 107" WB, 65" TW, 188 x 76.5" body

So yeah, the mustang used to have the same wheelbase and trackwidth as the BRZ, but it was 17" longer overall. Do you consider the 03 Cobra a tiny car like the BRZ? Now the mustang has grown 5" longer and 3.5" wider from back then. Pretty drastic change.

It's like Ford, Dodge and Chevy are seeing who can make their muscle/pony car the biggest over time...

I must also agree. I autocross my new edge very often, and its a damn big car to thread between the slaloms. I don't think of the toyobaru as particularly small, since its still quite bit larger than a miata. One of the guys here as a BRZ tricked out with delrin bushings and motion control coil-overs and extra sticky rubber. That's incredible performance.

At the moment I still confidently expect good performance from the S550, but it's not going to be earth shattering radical performance.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Umm the 2015 model was supposed to be the drastic improvement to the Mustang.

it was a complete redesign

but stuff like direct injection, making it lighter, etc. i would suspect you leave as upgrades for subsequent year models.

gotta have somewhere to improve.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
If this car follows along with Fords other flagship vehicle, the F-150 the Mustang will be lighter. I will surprised if the curb weight isn't at least 150 pounds less than the current model. Just a wishful enthusiast I guess.

specizripn

Established Member
The Camaro is outselling because it just started producing again so there is a void to be filled but that will come to an end soon. And anyone doubting the weight loss, look at how much weight the new F150s lost with all of the aluminum construction (700+ lbs). I think if they do the same thing with the mustang 200+ lb weight loss certainly seems reasonable. Just my .02

Jroc

Established Member
The Camaro is outselling because it just started producing again so there is a void to be filled but that will come to an end soon. And anyone doubting the weight loss, look at how much weight the new F150s lost with all of the aluminum construction (700+ lbs). I think if they do the same thing with the mustang 200+ lb weight loss certainly seems reasonable. Just my .02

That's only if Ford isn't telling us that they are constructing it out of aluminum. I find that doubtful though seeing as how a Mustang is a unibody car.I mean they might can do aluminum doors, or roof or something. Hell the hood is already composite. I know it has aluminum front fenders, but I personally have never had a problem handling old steel fenders as they are not that heavy.

50 Proof

Established Member
it was a complete redesign

but stuff like direct injection, making it lighter, etc. i would suspect you leave as upgrades for subsequent year models.

gotta have somewhere to improve.

Complete redesigns are typically when drastic improvements are revealed. In 2011 everyone was shocked and confused as to why the 5.0 mustang didn't get direct injection. Now as 2015 approaches, everyone is once again shocked and confused as to why the mustang isn't getting direct injection. If its not coming in 2015, you're not getting it in 2016 or 2017 either. What value would it add for ford to R&D a direct injection setup for a v8 that already gets 26+ mpg on the highway and has over 400hp? The Mustang has never been known to be a very technologically advanced car. It's just now getting IRS after much heavy criticism from most of the auto industry.

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The mustang will not receive the same aluminum intensive treatment the F-150 did. The mustang could absolutely drop a few hundred pounds from it but then your looking at an expensive base model. A small increase in price in the mustang will deter buyers more than the same increase in price in a truck i would think. I could see 100 pounds shaved off at the most. It is disappointing but there is much less to work with than on the F-150. Both in budget and in the amount of material that can be changed to a lighter material. A smaller car will benefit from lighter materials less than a bigger one. It will still benefit, just will be a less drastic change in weight.

The c7 does weigh pretty much the same as before. But it already had extensive use of aluminum and fiberglass. There isn't much room for them to drop weight anymore without going to really exotic and expensive materials or significant changes in dimensions. But at a 60K entry price, they can use much more aluminum than the mustang can.

Ever increasing safety standards and wanted tech features and creature comforts will continue to add weight and size to vehicles. Its an unfortunate fact of life that we have to accept.

JP0814GT

Established Member
Many sports cars use an irs and don't have problems. Ford knows they messed up in the past. Waiting for one to actually be tested and put through the ringer would be the only way to jump to any logical conclusions about the irs.

I agree but for my use the 8.8 has worked just fine in the past. I'm not looking for refined ride in a Mustang if I we're I wouldn't buy a Mustang. IRS may turn out good but I wasn't willing to gamble with 1000+ rwhp turbo plans.
However I do like the looks of the new "15" I think they did a pretty good job on the styling.

Last edited:

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
If not applied to the GT right away, I would speculate the expensive weight saving materials be used on the hot rod version.

As it stands today, Pericak says "weight has been lost." And he mentions they're still using the time to work on that.

Sounds good.

Mistang 6g has the interview.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Complete redesigns are typically when drastic improvements are revealed. In 2011 everyone was shocked and confused as to why the 5.0 mustang didn't get direct injection. Now as 2015 approaches, everyone is once again shocked and confused as to why the mustang isn't getting direct injection. If its not coming in 2015, you're not getting it in 2016 or 2017 either. What value would it add for ford to R&D a direct injection setup for a v8 that already gets 26+ mpg on the highway and has over 400hp? The Mustang has never been known to be a very technologically advanced car. It's just now getting IRS after much heavy criticism from most of the auto industry.

You really don't want DI one a car you're going to extensively modify for more power. You end up having to add an extra injector to provide more fuel. The DI injectors are limited on the amount of fuel they flow much more so than traditional MPI injectors.

The mustang will not receive the same aluminum intensive treatment the F-150 did. The mustang could absolutely drop a few hundred pounds from it but then your looking at an expensive base model. A small increase in price in the mustang will deter buyers more than the same increase in price in a truck i would think. I could see 100 pounds shaved off at the most. It is disappointing but there is much less to work with than on the F-150. Both in budget and in the amount of material that can be changed to a lighter material. A smaller car will benefit from lighter materials less than a bigger one. It will still benefit, just will be a less drastic change in weight.

The c7 does weigh pretty much the same as before. But it already had extensive use of aluminum and fiberglass. There isn't much room for them to drop weight anymore without going to really exotic and expensive materials or significant changes in dimensions. But at a 60K entry price, they can use much more aluminum than the mustang can.

Ever increasing safety standards and wanted tech features and creature comforts will continue to add weight and size to vehicles. Its an unfortunate fact of life that we have to accept.

There are several reasons it makes more to go to an aluminum body on the F-150 instead of the Mustang:

• The relative increase in CAFE is much great if it comes from F-150.
  • Starting with a vehicle with a steel ladder-frame is much simpler as the body does not have to support the suspension pick-up points or carry the majority of the stress experienced by the vehicle.
  • The sales vs vehicle price diagrams are opposite for the two vehicles. For the Mustang you simply have pyramid shaped graph with most of the sales concentrated in the cheaper models. With the F-150 it's an inverted pyramid with sales being much greater in the expensive models than the base models. This allows expensive base features to be paid for the bulk sale of premium models.
  • Etc.

I agree but for my use the 8.8 has worked just fine in the past. I'm not looking for refined ride in a Mustang if I we're I wouldn't buy a Mustang. IRS may turn out good but I wasn't willing to gamble with 1000+ rwhp turbo plans.
However I do like the looks of the new "15" I think they did a pretty good job on the styling.

If you willing to do the modifications to get the car to make 1,000+ rwhp a solid axle swap would not be too much of an extra step. There will be kits available.

Users who are viewing this thread