What happened to a significantly smaller and lighter 2015 Mustang?

50 Proof

Established Member
A sub 4000lb car with over 400hp is capable of doing way more than what anyone here can accomplish legally and safely on a public highway, which was what these cars were built for. I seriously laugh at anyone who calls these things heavy pigs that "need" weight reduction.

USV8PWR

Established Member
The new Mustang is bigger, not smaller? And there is no way it is going to lose significant weight if it has grown in size. Not going to happen from an economics standpoint.

Am I missing something.....

I thought I saw someone say something about 430lbs less...but that was on here in no official format.

Thats what I heard too was 200...but then someone on here said 430....I hadn't seen anything official tho. Either way 200lbs is 200 lbs. Every 100 is about a 10th faster right.

You all aren't missing anything, the 400lb+ weight reduction rumor was a pipe dream. Several "in the know" folks on here claimed the new car would be 400lbs lighter and I laughed at them. I said if Chevy couldn't do it with the 2 seater Corvette, Ford isn't going to do it with a four seater Mustang. But seriously though, any smaller/lighter and the car would have to give up a lot. Look around at what is currently available with today's technology and saftey requirements and that also comes in at 3,300 - 3,400lbs. There are two immediately I can think of, a C7 Vette and a base model Hyundai Genesis Coupe 4cy. And I sure didn't want a Genesis Coupe.

It will shock me if it's any lighter. I said that months ago when the consensus was the car was like 12" shorter. It will have the same components. What the weight comes from is still there.

Exactly! :beer:

That was debunked months ago, but people kept talking about it as if it were fact.

YUP!! :rockon:

This reminds me of the C7 Corvette. They did a lot to save weight, but added a lot back in with more premium components and content. It sounds like the Mustang may have done a lot of the same things. Plus, the Mustang got bigger (wider) and the Corvette did not. The end result was the C7 was roughly equal in weight to the C6. I don't see it being any different for the Mustang.

What would a 200lbs. reduction put the 2015 Mustang GT curb weight at, about 3,300 - 3,350lbs? I just can't see that happening when I look at what other cars weigh (i.e. Corvette).

AGAIN EXACTLY! See above at my two examples, the other being a Hyundai Genesis Coupe with the 4cylinder.

Any less weight and the car would not be a Mustang. It would have to give on something.

kingnut

Established Member
A sub 4000lb car with over 400hp is capable of doing way more than what anyone here can accomplish legally and safely on a public highway, which was what these cars were built for. I seriously laugh at anyone who calls these things heavy pigs that "need" weight reduction.

they are pigs and do need a weight reduction. a lighter cars stop faster, consume less gas, and handle better. your legally and safely comment is asinine.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
To sum it up, they added IRS, lowered the car, the interior is roomier and it is expected to have appx 450 HP and perform better or equal to the BOSS. All while possibly keeping the weight the same (perhaps slightly lighter) and likely better F/R weight distribution. Such a disappointment! LOL

I guess it is good that the Mustang "faithful" are so demanding. It must keep Ford on their toes.

tbi0904

Established Member
A ZL1 has a much heavier SC'ed LSA where a SS has a LS3. LS motors are pretty damn lightweight. A ATS is also a luxury sedan where a camaro is a sport car coupe. The Lincoln LS, Ford Thunderbird, etc all weighed like an iron block GT500 even with smaller motors than a Coyote, and the current GT is noticeably lighter that that for example. I can almost guarantee that a Alpha based Camaro will be noticably lighter than a current S197 Mustang.

I would love the new Mustang if I didn't know it was going to be easily bested by the next Camaro. I just feel it. Ford needed to start from a clean slate for the Mustang to compete with a Alpha based Camaro and they didn't. they did the same thing they did in 94.

You've got amazing insight for 1. a Mustang platform that hasn't been independently tested in any way. You have no idea what it can or can't do.
2. A Chevy platform that won't be available in a Camaro for two years. Boo hoo, Ford didn't release weight figures yesterday, they also didn't release any powertrain specs either. Guess it's not only a lead sled but underpowered as well. Right?

tommygun

Established Member
The company responsible for a lot of the weight savings is Henrob, they developed a riveting system which allows ford to use more aluminum and lighter materials. Even with a 200lb savings after adding a heavier IRS is phenomenal. The new F150 is going to have a huge weight savings as well, and this weight savings is going to increase fuel economy. I hate that we have to wait sooo long for the car to be released haha Id love to have one in the spring.

50 Proof

Established Member
they are pigs and do need a weight reduction. a lighter cars stop faster, consume less gas, and handle better. your legally and safely comment is asinine.

A heavier car gets bigger brakes and negates the physics of a heavier car, however on earth do trucks and big rigs ever stop efficiently? And just how much extra gas do you plan on saving per mile with 400 less pounds? Please dude, buy a clue. Handle better? Let me point you to the corvette forums where you can buy a nice sports car for not much more than a fully loaded mustang gt. The mustang already handles better than a lot of car which are much smaller and lighter than it. And you call my comments asinine? Whoa big internet warrior here.

BTW have you even driven a factory buily 400hp+ car? No seriously, have you?

Last edited:

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
A ZL1 has a much heavier SC'ed LSA where a SS has a LS3. LS motors are pretty damn lightweight. A ATS is also a luxury sedan where a camaro is a sport car coupe. The Lincoln LS, Ford Thunderbird, etc all weighed like an iron block GT500 even with smaller motors than a Coyote, and the current GT is noticeably lighter that that for example. I can almost guarantee that a Alpha based Camaro will be noticably lighter than a current S197 Mustang.

I would love the new Mustang if I didn't know it was going to be easily bested by the next Camaro. I just feel it. Ford needed to start from a clean slate for the Mustang to compete with a Alpha based Camaro and they didn't. they did the same thing they did in 94.

I think your giving Chevy too much credit for what hasn't been released yet. Same thing with this car. Chevy also still has to comply with emissions standards, new crash test standards, new fuel economy standards, etc. We havn't gotten any official numbers yet so just chill and wait. Also note, IRS has less dead weight than a solid axle so that is a huge benefit.

Ford has put alot into this new car and i think it is going to do well against the Camaro. Look how much Chevy had to do to the Z28 just to beat the Boss LS by 1 second.:eek:

xenodragon

Established Member
I need to stop reading these forums regarding the 2015 until more info comes out. You guys are depressing me.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
I need to stop reading these forums regarding the 2015 until more info comes out. You guys are depressing me.

LOL!! Don't let idiots depress you. More than likely, they are depressed and as most know, depression can be catchy :)

I don't think many here remember what I said before, long before anything was known. The Mustang will keep it's 107 inch wheelbase because it is OPTIMAL for it's class. Anyone thinking you can just cut inches off the overhangs and not touch the wheelbase is an idiot.

The new Mustang has a wider rear track (every inch in track is worth 2 in the tire), is 1/4 inch shorter and 1.5 inches lower.

What happens if the '15 loses weight? Without downsizing???? Which was a major concern. Low weight means little car...

What this is actually doing is putting the '15 Mustang right up next to the '14 Corvette. In turn, the Camaro will be left behind...

Many Camaro fans are realizing this now... There is just NO place for the Camaro, here, anymore...

So we get whiners and nitpickers with desperate attempts to either:

a.) People defending the Camaro's non-existance position over the Mustang

b.) People fearful of Mustang vs. Corvette cross shopping and comparisons

c.) People that generally fell in love with the S197 and will be hard to convince other wise.

This Mustang is smaller, just not in wheelbase (optimal) or track (even more optimal now). Will it be lighter???

All I can say is this... Has Ford raised the bar? Will weight be the only thing Ford can't deliver on???

Apologies in advanced to all the 5th Gen Camaro owners that are crying fowl now... I seen one post "IT LOOKS LIKE OUR CAMARO" then follow up with a "ITS UGLY"

I know your Camaro is ugly... but looking for a pound or an inch Ford couldn't pull out of the car, just to make you feel better is sad...

So put it back in the deck...

919654_616435295054906_439158801_o.jpg

Last edited:

50 Proof

Established Member
Apologies in advanced to all the 5th Gen Camaro owners that are crying fowl now... I seen one post "IT LOOKS LIKE OUR CAMARO" then follow up with a "ITS UGLY"

Despite how ugly the Camaro is, it unfortunately continues to outsell the Mustang, despite the Mustang being a much better car all around. Hopefully this all changes when the 2015 goes on sale.

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
Despite how ugly the Camaro is, it unfortunately continues to outsell the Mustang, despite the Mustang being a much better car all around. Hopefully this all changes when the 2015 goes on sale.

Considering they had years to hype it up, 2 movies, and the fact that the mustang went uncontested for 5 years or so. People jumped to something else because they finally had a choice, and to be able to own bumble bee. It just worked out that way, had the Camaro lived through 03, it might not have done what it is doing now.

4VFTW

Established Member
Having driven both I cant wrap my head around why the Camaro outsells the Mustang. I see 10 times as many Mustangs at the track as I do Camaros so its not enthusiasts buying them and the poor visibility and retarded trunk situation make them inferior from a daily usage standpoint.

i'm terribly vexxed.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Having driven both I cant wrap my head around why the Camaro outsells the Mustang. I see 10 times as many Mustangs at the track as I do Camaros so its not enthusiasts buying them and the poor visibility and retarded trunk situation make them inferior from a daily usage standpoint.

i'm terribly vexxed.

Sales are almost equal. The Camaro has sold a grand total of 4,000 more for the year. Mustang has actually outsold it the last two months in a row!

Taneras

Established Member
Considering they had years to hype it up, 2 movies, and the fact that the mustang went uncontested for 5 years or so. People jumped to something else because they finally had a choice, and to be able to own bumble bee. It just worked out that way, had the Camaro lived through 03, it might not have done what it is doing now.

I also think the transformers movies really helped boost sales.

JohnZ

Established Member
I am guessing here, but I think the fact that we do not have any information on the 2015 weight and 5.0 HP is for one main reason. The 2015 F150.

Announcing those figures now could steal some thunder from the announcement of Ford's big dog, which is supposed to have significant improvements in weight and fuel efficiency.

My bet is that after the F150 announcement of major improvements in these areas, Ford will announce me too but smaller improvements for the Mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread