What happened to my GS-D3's!!!

hmwave

Established Member
I fitted a brand new, $650 set of rear 315 GS-D3's in October '04 and they are now near down to the wear bars!!!

My previous 315 GS-D3's lasted me a year through a whole winter and hot summer (with plenty spirited driving/cornering).

This new set has seen rain most of the time so I've been daily driving the car for the most part. Same route, same driving style.

I can't believe they've worn down so fast!

hmwave

Established Member
They have been slipping a lot but I didn't think that would wear them as they are slipping?

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
if they were slipping in the rain, that would be better than slipping on the street due to the fact the rain will have less resistance to the rubber wearing away......I dont see why they would be worn down already......

rick

hmwave

Established Member
ChicagoMike said:
Slipping eats rubber. Also get your alignment checked.

The dealer aligned the rears six months ago, the tech is a good guy who knows what he's doing.

However the tires are very low on tread on the outsides with at least 4mm left on the inside. Tires are supposed to wear more on the inside first right?

Seems the camber is way off on the rears.

hmwave

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
leave the traction control on for a week and you'll see how much you were spinning away your tires

But then I'd be dead. That thing is a death trap and isn't needed if you drive the car properly.

TC is permanently programmed off on my car as its pretty useless.
Has been for two years now so was off with my last GS-D3's that lasted over 12K miles. The new tires lasted around 5K miles.

I never found TC to help with straight tire slip, doesn't it only activate when the car yaws (which agreed can be caused by wheel slip delta between the wheels).

93Snake

I agree I think the traction control can be deadly sometimes, sounds stupid I forgot to shut it off in the mach a few times before and the car was like a sled

hmwave

Established Member
Just visited a highly reco'ed alignment shop and based on wear they think the rear alignment is way off.
I'll have them measure it and if it's way out of the spec I gave the dealer I'll be visiting the dealer to ask for some compensation, at the very least a refund of the alignment cost.

Damn, just had to drop another $650 on another set of rears.

hmwave

Established Member
SA SNAKE said:
Try Nittos they stick pretty good and will last longer. imo..

They'll last forever as the car will be in a ditch upside down!
See, it's kinda raining a lot here, for six months at a time. :cryying:

I've heard too many stories of people reversing along the hiway at 70mph to try Nittos in the Winter time in the PacWest.
I'm considering them for the summer though.

SA SNAKE

Established Member
hmwave I hear what you are saying but as long as you take it easy in the rain you should be fine. I have two sets of Nitto DR's my car is a daily driver. Now snow or ice that is a diffrent thing. I just feel for you $650 is alot to spend every 3 or so months.
Good luck.

Gil

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
hmwave said:
They'll last forever as the car will be in a ditch upside down!
See, it's kinda raining a lot here, for six months at a time. :cryying:

I've heard too many stories of people reversing along the hiway at 70mph to try Nittos in the Winter time in the PacWest.
I'm considering them for the summer though.

I'm using the RII's, same soft compound, more and deeper tread. Read my review in Terminator Talk.

MTI LS1

I have 315GSD3's on my car for the last 5K miles and I have TONS of tread left? I like to let it lose to. Thats really weird. I guess it could be alot of things?

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
if you're driving the car properly on the street, it doesnt kick on in the first place :bash:

hmwave said:
But then I'd be dead. That thing is a death trap and isn't needed if you drive the car properly.

TC is permanently programmed off on my car as its pretty useless.
Has been for two years now so was off with my last GS-D3's that lasted over 12K miles. The new tires lasted around 5K miles.

I never found TC to help with straight tire slip, doesn't it only activate when the car yaws (which agreed can be caused by wheel slip delta between the wheels).

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
hmwave said:
The dealer aligned the rears six months ago, the tech is a good guy who knows what he's doing.

Sounds like he wasn't as good as you thought. If it is wearing that bad it is probably inflation problems or bad alignment.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Wearing on the outside more then the rest of the tread face is normally due to positive camber. The positive camber can be caused dynamically by hard cornering or statically by being aligned poorly. Either way you should dial in more camber I run max negative camber I could get on mine which I believe is -3 degrees. I also have Delrin bushings and MM tie-rod end which dramatically reduces the dynamic camber change during cornering.

CharlieCobra03 said:
I'm using the RII's, same soft compound, more and deeper tread. Read my review in Terminator Talk.

They have the exact same tread design and tread depth as 555Rs. I run 555RII on the front and 555R on the rear.

Last edited:

hmwave

Established Member
Toofast,
I had the tech align to the specifications you suggested a while back.
My favorite street settings (need cc plates) for the 17x9f & 17x10.5r setup-
L R
Front
caster 4.5 4.5 (anymore and your car steers like a bus in city traffic)
camber -1.5 -1.5 (I like 1.8 on the street but I replace tires often)
toe- 0 (could go up to 1/16th out to cure any rolling egg effects)

Rear
camber -1.0 -1.0 (-1.5 on the track, -1.2 on the strip)
toe in 1/16 1/16

Thrust Angle- 0 (make the alignment person earn their money)​

Would you expect these settings to cause over 100% increased tire wear on a daily driver that has been on slippery roads for a good part of the time since I fitted the new GS-D3's?

Below is the data from the printout he gave me after the alignment.
Does this look out of whack to you?

I'm having a highly regarded alignment shop measure the settings on the car as it is now to compare them to the settings I asked the tech to dial in. If it measures significantly different than what the tech printed for me below then I'll know the reason for the wear.
If not I'm worried these settings are the reason though I'd expect not.

AlignmentSpecs.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread