What happened to my GS-D3's!!!

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
ercizm said:
I'm on my 3rd set of tire's in under 6000. The 2nd were the BFG drag radials.I didn't care for them for daily driving. Knowing ford i'm now curious about the alignment. The TC definatley sucks and almost killed me to. I shut it off with the predator. I can drive sideways better than I can with no power and the car bucking like a bronco. I drove a new F-150 and the TC was way better even in the snow. We got hosed with a junk TC we had to pay for. :rolleyes: :xpl:

You might seriously want to consider Nitto 555R 315s at 26 psi. My stock F1s lasted 6k with the stock power. I have since upgraded to around 600 rwhp and my Nittos are lasting on average between 6-8k of agressive driving and open track use. With my suspension I can barely spin them power shifting into second and from then on they will not spin. Part of that I believe my stock clutch was slipping enough to keep them from spinning.

hmwave

Established Member
toofast4u said:
I have felt that at the track when I run to little pressure in my rear tires. Actually one of my 555Rs had picked up a piece of steel on the track and aired down from 35 psi to 10 psi. It was not a good feeling going into a turn at speed when I really noticed it.
My rears are at 32psi and I check them every week.
I checked the outside tread again this morning and it's now nearly bald. Geez! Two days ago I could put my finger nail in the tread! Something is definitely wrong here as the tires are disappearing rapidly.

toofast4u said:
I think you need to seriously examine your rear suspension and make sure everything is in spec and does not look damaged. The first thing I would expect are the toe links since they are very weak stock and a toe change at speed which could happen especially when hitting road imperfections will cause the issues you are describing.
Yes, I'll get it into the dealer soon to take a look.

toofast4u said:
I wouldn't expect that, but you will get the one wheel spin which will cause issues especially with the power our cars are making. You can have the stock ones rebuild.
I do notice when turning out of a junction that the outside wheel is much more prone to spinning on dry or wet roads. I always assumed that was because I fitted 315's on a stock diff.

toofast4u said:
Trust angle compares the angle the front tires are facing in relation to the centerline of the vehicle. This can be adjusted to some point with the toe and should be as close to 0 degrees as possible. I have heard of some people having to move the IRS assembly to bring there thrust angle in spec.
A little confused here. You noted the TA as specific to the front tires but then said the IRS has to move.
How would moving the IRS change the fronts?
Or am I misreading this?

toofast4u said:
This url I just found will probably explain it better then I can.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/align.jsp
Thanks. That's a great article.

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
hmwave said:
My rears are at 32psi and I check them every week.
I checked the outside tread again this morning and it's now nearly bald. Geez! Two days ago I could put my finger nail in the tread! Something is definitely wrong here as the tires are disappearing rapidly.

IMO that is way to much pressure on the rear with 315s. I daily drive my 555Rs at 25psi and they are much narrower then your tires. If they wore that fast and you were not spinning them it seriously sounds like your toe is off. I have destroyed a set of front tire going through a good amount of tread in less then a week because my toe was screwed up.

hmwave said:
A little confused here. You noted the TA as specific to the front tires but then said the IRS has to move.
How would moving the IRS change the fronts?
Or am I misreading this?

My fault the trust angle is the angle of the driving wheels in relation to the centerline of the car. In our case it is the rear tires not the front.

hmwave

Established Member
toofast4u said:
IMO that is way to much pressure on the rear with 315s. I daily drive my 555Rs at 25psi and they are much narrower then your tires. If they wore that fast and you were not spinning them it seriously sounds like your toe is off. I have destroyed a set of front tire going through a good amount of tread in less then a week because my toe was screwed up.

So I probably have a combination of bad toe and higher pressure.

I would have expected much more center tread wear though with the higher pressure and that hasn't happened. The wear seems to be linear sloped from outside to in with outside the worst.

I did try your 'puddle' test a while back and it all looked fine.

Off to the dealer I go !

PhillyCobra

Established Member
I think the excessive negative toe you had in the rear before the realignment would cause excessive wear, particularly on the outside (as you noticed). It will also wear the whole tire, as on acceleration it is trying to turn each wheel in as you are going straight.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
hmwave said:
So I probably have a combination of bad toe and higher pressure.

I would have expected much more center tread wear though with the higher pressure and that hasn't happened. The wear seems to be linear sloped from outside to in with outside the worst.

I did try your 'puddle' test a while back and it all looked fine.

Off to the dealer I go !

If the center is not wearing faster then the sides that pressure might be fine with them.

hmwave

Established Member
Dealer checked the alignment yesterday and it's WAAAYYYYYY out from the specs I gave them.

Now it's negotiation time because they cost me an estimated $400 of tire wear plus the $140 I paid them to align it.
We'll see what I can do to recover my costs.

Users who are viewing this thread