What happened to races on the street?

NAPERCOBRA

Established Member
I remember back in the day getting busted drag racing cop was trying to scare us had us all against the cars and basically said who won the race? Nobody answered and he said if I don’t get answer u are all going to jail and if u tell me the truth I’ll think about letting u guys leave. We just said the mustang won so he says very nice now I’ll make a deal with u guys if if the mustang beats my squad u guys can leave laughing. So we raced and he lost and we were off back to another hangout in different town

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
car scene is nothing like what it used to be

I don't know if it is the youngsters that I know but none of them have an interest in cars.

My nephews have no interest. They all own shitty pick up trucks but have zero interest in anything auto. Honestly I do not think they have much of an interest in anything.

One of them is in college and does not even have his license. My dad gave him a pretty nice car and he never even registered. I took it back and sold it.

When I was that age all I could talk about was cars.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't know if it is the youngsters that I know but none of them have an interest in cars.

My nephews have no interest. They all own shitty pick up trucks but have zero interest in anything auto. Honestly I do not think they have much of an interest in anything.

One of them is in college and does not even have his license. My dad gave him a pretty nice car and he never even registered. I took it back and sold it.

yep same here. race tracks closing and all the bullshit about electric cars killed the hobby completely. I'd say ~2015 is when I noticed times changing.

850SNCobra

Established Member
Good thread, I never really thought about this until I saw this thread.

I think I was around 17-18 when I had my 95 GT 5.0, used to go to the local car meets that were held every Thursday night in a big ass old strip mall parking lot. It was called "Tuner Thursdays" but you saw all kinds of cars out there. You just either post up by your car and kick shit with your buddies or you walk around mingling and chit chatting it up with random people about their car or if they wanted to run it.

I'll never forget my first street race out there, I had just gotten a cold air intake installed in my stang, thought I was hot shit and wanted to run another GT stang but his had the Cobra intake upgrade. Dude beat me and I remember not even turning back to go to the parking lot, I drove straight back home lmao.

Damn those were the good ol days.

LS WUT

Established Member
It truly is sad to see where this generation is headed. When I was younger all I would think about is how cool it would be to have a 1995 Mustang GT. My brother in law owned one and took me to school in it. I’ve been around mustangs, and such my whole life with my Godfather and brother in law. My Dad got me into motorcycles, not so much cars. Before my time he had a 1968 Corvette, a Gremlin, and a bad ass Boat Cadillac.

By the time I got around to getting my license, and car and such it was around 2009 or so. My first car I built was a 2001 Mustang GT. Had a Vortech V2 S Trim blower with a 5.1L stroker I had built. Back then it was so much fun even with low boost racing my car buddies, and such. Back then the baddest thing was either a C5 Z06, C6 Z06 and the GTR when it came out. All around the 500hp mark. You never casually saw these wild HIGH HP cars around. Car meets weren’t filled with idiots doing burnouts and such. It was just a cool place to meet people with similar interests. Now it’s about stance nation, some clowns idea of a shitbox with $7,000 in speakers in it, and who can get stuck going over speed bumps. I enjoy cars and coffee because it’s mostly older guys who appreciate cars, and will talk to you about their experiences, and such. Not some cuck who just repeatedly says wanna run it? Don’t get me wrong I love racing, but I don’t care about racing some turd.

I also completely agree that driving something slow fast is a hell of a lot more fun than driving something fast slow. I love the hell out of my foxbody. She makes all of 230 crank and I love it. It’s just so much fun, and all the people who know about them give a thumbs up. I miss the old days.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member

My 23yo engineer son and my 20yo in college daughter are bucking the trend. Son was very seriously considering a new Dark Horse but he really wants something a bit more unique that he can take to car shows and cruise ins and such. If he found the right deal on a coyote swapped fox body, or 65-69 mustang, he'd be all over it.

Daughter currently driving a 14' focus hatch in race red. It's about worn out, and I've been informed that she'd really like a mustang. I'll try to find something 4-5 years old and she will be absolutely thrilled.

She's a good kid, and planning on attending dental school after she graduates in 25'. Maybe she'll give me the mustang back after she gets a job. HAHA.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Just like the general population, the younger crowd into cars is a minority. And I'm talking about the ones that actually modify their cars. To be honest I think there's more options to make a fast car out of nowadays. You just have to know where to look. My kids grew up around Mustangs and fast stuff. My son now has a GS300 with a single turbo swap and a GTI with some minor bolt ons. Both move pretty good and we have yet to start leaning on the GS. My daughter has an ecoboost Mustang. She really wanted a newer Bullitt, but it wasn't in the budget. She's not a wrencher like me and my son, but she'll do her own maintenance and any mods she might want to do.

As for the crowd my son hangs with, they all have fast stuff or are working on it. One of them has a big turbo GTI that walked my buddies Hellcat and gave me a helluva run. It's currently in for more upgrades. He's hoping for 600-650whp. Another just picked up a C6 Vette and is trying to decide on headers and a cam. There's a couple more turbo cars in the mix. Most aren't stock.

Do I tease them for not having V8's? Of course. But I give them respect for working on their stuff and keeping the hobby going.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
IMG_8821.JPG

Shit like this has happened. Men have become so damn sensitive and take everything to their feels.

Tun Tavern was America’s first gay bar.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Current gen is more interested in "stance" and the backfire/popping tunes during decel than they are about going fast. Oh, and bouncing off the rev limiter, can't forget that.

And let's be honest, they are crappy drivers. I have no interest in being beside one of them while they try to learn how to drive.

Current gen simply aren't as interested in actually working on their cars. By the time I was 16 (1986) a buddy and I were already wrenching on our own cars. Just after high school, I did a v8 swap on a mini truck I had. Also helped my buddy build a tubbed 66 Chevy truck, frame off, backhalfed four link, yada yada yada.

Point being, when was the last time you saw a current 20yo doing something to a vehicle other than adding lights?

Heck, a new Honda accord is faster than most sports cars from twenty years ago. Guess they don't have to tune/work on them to make them fast.
Actually my 20 yr old grandson is into cars, ricer stuff but cars at least. He’s also working at a Honda dealer and they are putting him through an apprenticeship

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
My 22 year old nephew is into cars. He’s already owned a couple of wrxs, a camaro, and a frs. Now a 350z he’s building. All manuals. Hes now coaching some semi pro teenage kart racers. they’ll be going on national tour soon.

My 22 year old daughter wants a wrangler. Shes not really into cars but has her favorites. Her 25 year old boyfriend doesnt even have a car. He has a skateboard…

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

robvas

Established Member
My 22 year old daughter wants a wrangler. Shes not really into cars but has her favorites. Her 25 year old boyfriend doesnt even have a car. He has a skateboard…

My buddy was telling me he was going to visit his daughter last weekend, had to take his toolbox. Daughters car needed the brakes done and her husband doesn't even own any tools...

Meanwhile his other daughter got married to a guy who's family owns an aftermarket suspension company...

Bullitt1448

Established Member
We used to race stop light to stop light most Friday and Saturday nights. Mind you that was with 12-13 second cars and Many were slower than that. Also there is a lot more traffic everywhere now so hard to find the space to run.

trueblue03gt

Established Member
Lots of complaints about Gen Z here. Being part of that generation, a lot of people are now into corner carving. They think that any sort of straight line speed is boring and for old men. Anyways, where we live, the only people that you can race are people in hoopty Dodges or Infinitis. Thought I'd throw in my two cents. People are still into cars, my friends and I have a car club for our high school, but a lot of the kids that show up are pretty dorky.

Blown 89

Established Member
The auto industry killed off street racing by making everything amazing and fast. Kids have no incentive to buy and modify cars when damn near every car on the road runs 11s and your 60 year old grandma can eat everyone’s lunch in her Tesla. On the rare occasion you do find a likeminded bonehead to race you’re well past jail territory and into realm of recklessness that nobody wants to experience before the race even starts.

Cars have become a game of how much can you spend at the dealership and has taken the pride out of modifying cars and testing them against others on the street.

All of that plus the fact that kids don’t give a shit about cars anymore. Cars represented freedom to explore the world for us. The attention we got in bad ass cars has been replaced by social media where kids don’t need to get off the sofa to accomplish the same thing.

ajaf1656

Established Member
Lots of complaints about Gen Z here. Being part of that generation, a lot of people are now into corner carving. They think that any sort of straight line speed is boring and for old men. Anyways, where we live, the only people that you can race are people in hoopty Dodges or Infinitis. Thought I'd throw in my two cents. People are still into cars, my friends and I have a car club for our high school, but a lot of the kids that show up are pretty dorky.
Are these people who are into corner carving doing autocross, track days, or just saying that like every kid with a slow car in the 2000's? lol

Ryan2KRedL

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Back in the day I did my share of street racing..... still do from time to time.
But with the population explosion, housing subdivisions everywhere, and generally more traffic on the roads, it's difficult to find a good "race spot".

My daughter (16) has zero interest in hanging out in my garage or tinkering on my cars. I gave her a nice 2003 Explorer when she turned 16 and she won't even clean it, like zero interest.
So of course I detail it on Sundays in addition to being in my garage and tinkering.
I have nephews that are able to drive and have no interest in hot rods, high horsepower cars, etc. It's crazy as their dads are into cars like I am. I clearly see this as a generational leaning.

If I was a 16 year old kid and my dad had something like this back then, you wouldn't be able to drag me out of the shop!

Users who are viewing this thread