what happens when you go too lean

CobraBoatDan

Water Snake
Established Member
Happened back in December. Its a pretty crappy feeling when the entire interstate behind you disappears. The really bad one with the hole was my #7. All the rest looked like the first 2 pictures though. Sorry for the bad iphone picture quality but I think they get the point across.

l_38fceaa2f57b4301a1c4d59f4fc79c55.jpg

l_da27b146f5e84364ab54e7a09b42922d.jpg

l_88fcd42ab3834c26ac29f5dbc722c7b7.jpg

l_d10440c91b0b487386f8dabb409d3f75.jpg

l_5884e8a91a16469d8c6a81d319ccef61.jpg

Last edited:

91svtcoupe

TTop SVT Coupe
Established Member
No I got it dyno tuned. When it was tuned It was about 90 degrees though. When It happened it was in the low 40's.

Thats so Scary for me....

So how do we get past that? I mean.....the guy who tunes my car is further south....so where I live its potientialy 20-30 degrees cooler...

Was your car on the edge?

Further more I am running a car in the NC Foothills that was tuned in the GA Sun...

should I worry?

It will all be retuned shortly but for now...should I lay off of it?

No I got it dyno tuned. When it was tuned It was about 90 degrees though. When It happened it was in the low 40's.

Don't feel so bad. Something like this can be hard to avoid even if your tuner tells you that the A/F is safe and conservative. Sometimes you're only insurance at preventing this is making sure you're injectors are flow matched. Even that doesn't guarantee this won't happen. You can always have an injector fail on you and get mildly clogged. There are even variations in the A/F when you get tuned on the dyno vs. the street. That too can always make a world of difference. Even a bad tank of gas can make your worse nightmare come true. And of course just too much abuse in too short of span of time. I'm sure you've heard all these things before. Unfortunately, regardless of how reputable the tuner is, there are always going to be variables that we can't control. Sometimes it just will come down to how much luck you have. Its just rhe risk that comes with these damn finicky cars.

Last edited:

CobraBoatDan

Water Snake
Established Member
Don't feel so bad. Something like this can be hard to avoid even if your tuner tells you that the A/F is safe and conservative. Sometimes you're only insurance at preventing this is making sure you're injectors are flow matched. Even that doesn't guarantee this won't happen. You can always have an injector fail on you and get mildly clogged. There are even variations in the A/F when you get tuned on the dyno vs. the street. That too can always make a world of difference. Even a bad tank of gas can make your worse nightmare come true. And of course just too much abuse in too short of span of time. I'm sure you've heard all these things before. Unfortunately, regardless of how reputable the tuner is, there are always going to be variables that we can't control. Sometimes it just will come down to how much luck you have. Its just rhe risk that comes with these damn finicky cars.

Yeah It happens. Gotta pay to play right? I was making 581/537 at the time, and when you start gettin those kind of numbers, those chances of bad things happening go way up. Only had around 44k on the motor. Im not gonna drive it near as much once the new motor is finished.

Yeah It happens. Gotta pay to play right? I was making 581/537 at the time, and when you start gettin those kind of numbers, those chances of bad things happening go way up. Only had around 44k on the motor. Im not gonna drive it near as much once the new motor is finished.

Hey if it makes you feel any better, i had an 01 Cobra that went through 3 motors. Only enjoyed my Vortech for about 5k before ruining one motor. Had another motor go bad from VT Engines. My tuner 'lost' my Vortech after I let him hold on to it for 10 months. Well you get the picture man. I know what its like to pay for playing. Hope this rebuild leaves you with a flawless motor my friend.

sc98cbra

Established Member
Seems like the OP didn't tell much about his mishap. He may have been doing a 5th/6th gear boost pull, or max out on his injectors....

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
My tuner as far as I can remember tunes really conservative with like a 11.1 A/F and that is usually just fine for colder weather.. although my car was tuned in like 55 degrees so its better than 90 degrees lol. typically its better to tune in cold weather not only for numbers but for safety.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was in 4th gear. I dont boost in 5th or 6th.
You're saying that you were in boost in 4th gear and that you always let off when you shift into 5th? :??:

I'd like to know more about your tune, fuel mods and what you were doing at the time the motor let go. Not enough info yet.

Users who are viewing this thread