What I saw in the new 2013 Mustang ad...

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
We've all seen it by now. So well done, it deserves a closer look. Not a frame by frame analysis but some interesting highlights...

Nom nom yum yum. They strategically worked the outfit to reveal more leg when she walked. Note how the dress is being pulled to her right. Everyone else was tinted a few shades grayer. The idea to suck in the average red blooded American male works.

M1.gif

Whoever chose her for this commercial deserves a big bonus.

M3.gif

Nom nom break. The car. Some interesting 'customization' choices by Ford. The chrome grille for one. Side gills. So noted. But why do Ford marketing people insist on using what are (in my opinion) the cheesiest quarter window louvers on the market (same cheesy appeal on Roush models as well). Ford has used these in their dealer brochures in the past and they were just as ugly. If the idea is a tie-in with the whole Mustang/customization theme that Ford has pushed, fine. But man, they are ugly!

M4.gif

It looks like the louvers were added digitally, as well. Again....ew.

M5.gif

Plenty of other Ford vehicles in the ad. As expected, the phone number on the side of the cabs doesn't work.

M6.gif

M7.gif

Out of nowhere, BAM!!! Tony Gonzalez, as a chef no less. And why? The tattoo tie-in, no less...

M8.gif

A very well done morph...

M9.gif

I can hear the marketing people plea for a spicy red hot illusion, ripe and chock full of ethnic draw (hence another reason for Gonzalez), from base to GT. Also note the black rectangular shadow just before the rear tire and under the rocker...

M10.gif

Are the same (lame) people that gave the thumbs up for the louvers (note the digitized add-on here as well) also trying to emulate the Boss exhaust on non-Boss vehicles? Some sort of mental seed being planted?

M11.gif

M12.gif

M11a.gif

WTF?:shrug:

Something else. New York plates on everything. But I see a number of substantial elevation changes and the streets are waaaay too clean.

M13.gif

M15.gif

Some kick ass Boss ZebraTron. Note the tacky louvers had yet to go poof!

M16.gif

The green looks far better than I thought it would.

M17.gif

And now the switch, the turn, into what makes this a heck of an ad. The cutest little ballerina on the streets oh 'NY' surrounded by men in dark suits, holding her hand to protect her, with the Boss approaching...

M18.gif

No refuse to be seen but plenty of Ford/Lincoln support...

M20.gif

A quick transition to pink to match the girl. I thought it would have lasted longer for some sort of Susan G. Komen homage. Maybe the latest controversy cut that short. Anyway, the Richard Simmons Edition cladding was shunned rather abruptly. Thank God.

M21.gif

M22.gif

You can almost hear the car underneath screaming "Get this gay crap off me!!!"

M23.gif

Phew. Sorry Perez.

Ford definitely enhanced the darkening of the wheels, for whatever reason.

M24.gif

Interesting that when she sees her 'dark' reflection that the dark suits around her lighten up and there is nobody holding her hand anymore...

M25.gif

My God, what a cutie!

M26.gif

Yup, Ford played with the darkness of the wheels. They also let some GM (do I see a Prius behind the S-10 too?) slip into the ad...

M27.gif

Daddy's little girl, eh? He has no idea...

M29.gif

A fitting way to end everything.

M30.gif

M31.gif

M32.gif

Ford covered the base Mustang, the GT, the Boss, and the GT500. They slipped in some multiculturalism, sexuality, typical gender stereotypes, as well as some deviant Freudian characteristics that exist in just about anything with a heartbeat.

Not a 30 second ad for the model we prefer but well done nonetheless.

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
this was interesting to watch you break this down. couple points:

1) the V6 looks damn good, amazing what you can with the base model
2) the 5.0 obviously was nice in white not a fan of the tribal but the note sounded good
3) I agree the green looks much better in the ad
4) the girl was adorable, when my wife saw this she said" that would be your daughter"

the gt500 is so sexy and sinister looking, i still want grabber with black stripes and it sounded good, maybe someone with good audio editing skills can take out the speech and song and enhance just the exhaust note?? just a thought

all in all a successful commercial and im expecting ford to drop a bomb commercial of just the gt500 right around release time...i hope :rockon:

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
I love that commercial. The little girl looks a lot like my nieces. Super cute.

alloy500

Established Member
Great breakdown of a very well done ad.
While GM seems to spend more time talking about the competition and slinging mud in their commercials, Ford is creating classy ads like this one, focusing on their product and the connection of people to the product.
Great looking cars and models coupled with fitting and catchy music with proper filming and some special efffects make for excellent ad with suductive edge, good job Ford, let the product sell itself.
Sure, the recent Fiat Abarth ad is suductive as well but how much time is the car actually in the ad? 10%, maybe? Leaving you thinking of the hottie more than the product after its over. Ok, maybe not fair since she is hot and the product not so much!!
Thanks for the post Tob!!

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Cool commercial. :coolman:

BTW, Tony Gonzalez is a GT500 owner. I heard him say once during a morning sports radio show interview. :rockon:

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Now that makes it even better. Gonzalez is a truly classy guy.

A quick Google shows you're right.

TgonzalezGT500.jpg

Wonder if he'll get a '13 after doing that ad...

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
TOB, I would not expect anything less from you. Well done!! I love the commercial and I played it for the wife, over and over. She loved the Shelby and the little girl helped me sell the idea to the wife. So I say THANKS!!!! To Ford and once again...........I can't wait for more info!!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thanks Scott. Hopefully this makes it easier to sell the idea of a '13 to the wife!

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I'm not usually into chicks of color, but that first girl is hot.

I agee, even the v6 is a win now. Good power, dual exhaust.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Thanks for the breakdown. I didn't notice Tony G and I am a huge Chiefs fan. My eyes were on the Mustangs and when the Boss showed up my jaw dropped. I really like that color. Then, the little girl and the GT500. That is one bad ass car and she knew it.

DRBSVT

Established Member
I love the Black Shelby with the silver stripes at the end of the commercial. Unfortunately, after reviewing the order guides today, the black/silver combo is not available. It appears that the only accents stripes available with black are white and red.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I love the Black Shelby with the silver stripes at the end of the commercial. Unfortunately, after reviewing the order guides today, the black/silver combo is not available. It appears that the only accents stripes available with black are white and red.

Very perceptive observation. I agree, that car at the end of the commercial looks splendid. Too nice to not offer that combination!

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Very perceptive observation. I agree, that car at the end of the commercial looks splendid. Too nice to not offer that combination!

i figrued they were likely flat black and since they edited other stuff they also edited the shade of the stripes...though if it is silver and not offer it why show it? :shrug:

GabeMarlin

V8/RWD Fanatic
Established Member
The Boss like exhaust you pointed out is the aero "spat" that is attached to the rear of the rocker panel on 11 and newer stangs. Good overview though.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
TOB, I would not expect anything less from you. Well done!! I love the commercial and I played it for the wife, over and over. She loved the Shelby and the little girl helped me sell the idea to the wife. So I say THANKS!!!! To Ford and once again...........I can't wait for more info!!

I played the ad for my wife on my laptop a few times and she was like ehh. I keep telling her I want a GT500 for my next car but she's not that crazy about the idea as she says "its just a mustang".

Then monday night we were watching daytona 500 and the ad came on and I had the volume turned way up and now she loves the car and stands by my decision to get one.

Users who are viewing this thread