What is ATT defective return policy?

Evenflow

Established Member
Bought the new Samsung Galaxy phone earlier today and tonight just noticed there is a dead pixel on the screen.

Will ATT be able to exchange this or will I need to go through samsung?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As a former AT&T customer I can almost guarantee you that if you bought the phone from AT&T they will exchange it for a new one. You should have a 30 day return policy on it anyway, again, assuming you bought it from AT&T.

mav_tu

Established Member
Within 30 days, if there is a manufacturer defect with the handset, AT&T will exchange the device (like-for-like) with no restocking fee. If you opt to switch to a different device, there will be a $35 restocking fee.

If you purchased the phone at an authorized agent, you'll need to take it to them. If you purchased at a corporate store, you can return to any corporate store to process the exchange. Make sure you have all of your original packaging, as the box will have your phone's IMEI on it.

Edit - Please not this is for in store exchanges. There is a 1 year warranty on the device, but after 30 days you have to go though AT&T's warranty department (over the phone), or though a warranty service center.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Within 30 days, if there is a manufacturer defect with the handset, AT&T will exchange the device (like-for-like) with no restocking fee. If you opt to switch to a different device, there will be a $35 restocking fee.

If you purchased the phone at an authorized agent, you'll need to take it to them. If you purchased at a corporate store, you can return to any corporate store to process the exchange. Make sure you have all of your original packaging, as the box will have your phone's IMEI on it.

Edit - Please not this is for in store exchanges. There is a 1 year warranty on the device, but after 30 days you have to go though AT&T's warranty department (over the phone), or though a warranty service center.

I guess my wife and I are pretty fortunate then with Verizon. She doesn't have insurance on her HTC Eris phone, which she bought back in early December of 2009. So it's almost 8 months old. It has been acting strange likely where she can't always make a phone call. We took it into our local Verizon store and they sent out a new replacement which we'll get today. That is great service. They're even going to transfer all of her phone data at the store so she won't have to mess with it. ;-)

Also, if you have an issue with your iPhone you don't have to go back to an AT&T store. You can go to an Apple store, which is what I always did with my iPhones. Much better service and whenever my phone had an issue Apple always gave me a new phone.

mav_tu

Established Member
I guess my wife and I are pretty fortunate then with Verizon. She doesn't have insurance on her HTC Eris phone, which she bought back in early December of 2009. So it's almost 8 months old. It has been acting strange likely where she can't always make a phone call. We took it into our local Verizon store and they sent out a new replacement which we'll get today. That is great service. They're even going to transfer all of her phone data at the store so she won't have to mess with it. ;-)

Even without insurance, almost every AT&T can have a replacement phone sent out to your home at no charge within the first year, given that the customer did not damage it. So I guess AT&T and Verizon do it the exact same way. Great service, I agree! And yes, AT&T can move just about all your PDA's info over to your replacement. AT&T and Verizon use the same Cellebrite machines to perform that swap.

Also, if you have an issue with your iPhone you don't have to go back to an AT&T store. You can go to an Apple store, which is what I always did with my iPhones. Much better service and whenever my phone had an issue Apple always gave me a new phone.

If you're having an issue with an iPhone, definitely take it to an Apple store. AT&T only provides the cellular service for Apple's device. Any technical issues not pertaining to the telephone portion of the device should be directed to Apple. Apple does not allow AT&T to do any warranty exchanges or service/fix the iPhone. It is always Apple's discretion whether to replace a defective phone with either a new or refurbished phone.

Users who are viewing this thread