What is the best supercharger for a 97 Cobra?

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
i had both the kb 1.5, and a vortech s trim on my car.. i would deff, go with the kb for a street car.. the vortech sounded great.. but you have to realize your not going to make good boost until higher rpms.. the kenne bell will reach full boost by 2500rpm, and hold it all the way up the rpm range.. im thinking about buying the new 2.1kb for my car, and running it with meth..

Great thing about 96-98 cobras is how well they can be matched with 4.30's and a centri car. KB vs a centri car with gears same boost.. you know who wins any race everytime, the first race the Kb better take it as it's only dropping power after that with the damn heat vs the a / a intercooler. Don't get me wrong, I love the PD blowers, just on 03-04 cobras, sn95's are just my choice for the centri. :beer:

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
last outing with about 60 less hp i ran a high 11 I havent tried with my new found power but im guessing low 11's and im playing with the idea of some nitrous as well should be a 10 sec street car

Is the car full weight? Big n littles? What was your mph and was this in good air or this summer shit right now?

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
Is the car full weight? Big n littles? What was your mph and was this in good air or this summer shit right now?

a little weight reduction i have a tubular front, full suspension front/rear and 18" drag radials i havent ran yet with my big/littles and was around this time last year

i hopefully will make it out to the track sometime in oct. i will try my 18's and my big/little setup to see the difference. All in all its super fun on the street the torque is just sick at so low in the rpm range

Last edited:

newfie bullet

Established Member
So after reading everyones comments the Kenny Bell sounds like the fit for me. Which KB would be good for a 97 cobra?But I have an eye on a newer car.

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I've stayed out of this thread for a while but was bored so I decided to see what the deal was and I am, as predicted, frustrated. I'm not going to engage in a "what supercharger is better" squabble as I have done this several times and it just turns into a pissing match. OP do YOUR OWN research on the several different brands and types of supercharger. Remember that there are centrifugal superchargers, positive displacement superchargers(twin screw and root screw) and a newer addition, a rotorex supercharger which is very similar to a centrifugal but spins at a much higher blower speed. For 96-98 Cobra's your options are very limited. Use google to search for the specs on Procharger, Vortech/Paxton and Kenne Bell. There is also a sticky in the Blower Bistro that covers the differences in the superchargers. After you have done the research yourself and decide what it is you want out of your car then you can make a good decision. I fear you will get a 1.5L KB and be very disapointed when it only makes 340rwhp.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
I've stayed out of this thread for a while but was bored so I decided to see what the deal was and I am, as predicted, frustrated. I'm not going to engage in a "what supercharger is better" squabble as I have done this several times and it just turns into a pissing match. OP do YOUR OWN research on the several different brands and types of supercharger. Remember that there are centrifugal superchargers, positive displacement superchargers(twin screw and root screw) and a newer addition, a rotorex supercharger which is very similar to a centrifugal but spins at a much higher blower speed. For 96-98 Cobra's your options are very limited. Use google to search for the specs on Procharger, Vortech/Paxton and Kenne Bell. There is also a sticky in the Blower Bistro that covers the differences in the superchargers. After you have done the research yourself and decide what it is you want out of your car then you can make a good decision. I fear you will get a 1.5L KB and be very disapointed when it only makes 340rwhp.

mine makes 100 more lol its all in how you do it lol

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
440 rwhp and that weight and only 118.. means you were on a generous dyno. My p1sc on 11 psi trapped 96 in the 8th on a shitty 1.9 60ft in summer air, full weight vert Dyno'd mid 400's

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
440 rwhp and that weight and only 118.. means you were on a generous dyno. My p1sc on 11 psi trapped 96 in the 8th on a shitty 1.9 60ft in summer air, full weight vert Dyno'd mid 400's

lol come up here at 5500 ft and 8000+ density alt and tell me what you think:lol1:

and 118 mph traps are good for mid-low 11's i also ran many 95-97mph 1/8 with 97 being my best. I say 120-122 mph traps are now in my grasp and low 11 with my bigs n littles.

Last edited:

harvboi05

Established Member

i was thinking the exact opposite; thats fast for 440whp IMO.

the dyno i was on said i made 374whp, and i trap in my sig at full weight. hows that for a conservative dyno? dyno numbers are junk, trap/weight is where its at.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
i was thinking the exact opposite; thats fast for 440whp IMO.

the dyno i was on said i made 374whp, and i trap in my sig at full weight. hows that for a conservative dyno? dyno numbers are junk, trap/weight is where its at.

thats what i say many guys put down 600+ but only manage 11-12 sec and some guys are only putting 300 and doing the same. I think its how to put the power down dyno numbers mean nothing:beer:

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
It has a lot to do with suspension and traction to run good et's as we all should know but the mph is where the power is in most cases. Most 03-04 cobras with eatons making 44x are running upper to mid 11's with 118-124 traps and weigh 3600 lbs or more, for comparison. You altitude though is crazy, so that would be pretty fast at sea level!

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
lol come up here at 5500 ft and 8000+ density alt and tell me what you think:lol1:

and 118 mph traps are good for mid-low 11's i also ran many 95-97mph 1/8 with 97 being my best. I say 120-122 mph traps are now in my grasp and low 11 with my bigs n littles.

It has a lot to do with suspension and traction to run good et's as we all should know but the mph is where the power is in most cases. Most 03-04 cobras with eatons making 44x are running upper to mid 11's with 118-124 traps and weigh 3600 lbs or more, for comparison. You altitude though is crazy, so that would be pretty fast at sea level!

Thing about dyno numbers in higher altitude is that they are almost always over represented with a FI car. The dyno has the ability to take in account the elevation change and adjust the numbers accordingly, in a n/a set up. With a FI set up you are providing your own compensation for elevation and the dyno doesn't recognize it. Thats why you see ridiculously over inflated dyno numbers from cars in higher altitudes.

harvboi05

Established Member
Thing about dyno numbers in higher altitude is that they are almost always over represented with a FI car. The dyno has the ability to take in account the elevation change and adjust the numbers accordingly, in a n/a set up. With a FI set up you are providing your own compensation for elevation and the dyno doesn't recognize it. Thats why you see ridiculously over inflated dyno numbers from cars in higher altitudes.

only with turbo cars are the numbers inflated. a supercharger spins the same speed regardless of elevation bc it is tied with engine speed. Bc turbos run off pressure, a turbo at elevation will have to spin faster to achieve the same amount of pressure than it would at the same pressure at sea level.

Users who are viewing this thread