What is the cause of gear whine?

chuckstang

Established Member
I just started experiencing what I believe is gear whine.

I had FRPP 373s installed by my Ford dealer over the winter.

What is or could be the cause of this? What affects does this have on the car, rear end, performance, longevity and so on? Can the driver instigate gear whine...?

Would I have any recourse if I took it back to my Ford dealer?

Thanks, looking for any info you all may have

Sounds like I have a lil blower behind me now hahaha Not cool though :bash:

1FSTHRSE

Established Member
whine

I would ask them about looking at it. I just had 373s put in, took him 4 attempts to get them right. then after ~300 miles they have started to whine. The tech went for a ride with me yesterday, and agreed it is very noticable. They are going to do another set up again next week.
mike

cobracote

cobracote
Established Member
I have about 400 miles on mine now with a very bad whine at cruising speeds and deaceleration.Just had mine warranteed by installer and does the same thing again .Installer told me its a drive shaft problem?Mine got worse as i drove it and when i did uca and qa1 shocks it got louder.does this sound right??

breoland

Established Member
from what i understand, once the gears are installed improperly and have the whine, there is no fixing it with out another set of new gears. its from the way they mesh together.
alsways try and find a great shop to do gears, you get what you pay for

davidhuff

Established Member
Drain the gear oil from the rear end and if the gear oil looks like metal flake paint the gears were set up wrong and the gears will have to be replaced.Good Luck!

R1Lello

Established Member
Gears should be done right, and done right the first time period!!! The guy should get them into spec...... .008-.012 the first time and they'll be fine. if they tried 3,4,5 + times.........they are very inexperienced so you took it to the wrong place.

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
Gears are not that easy to install. I have done around 80-100. Its an art. Not just anyone can install them. If it was quiet befor and now noisy, It is most likely a result of the gear not being broken in properly or driven "too hard, too soon." When this happens, the gear oil breaks down and the resulting temperature inside the differential causes the face of the gear to wear away exposing the softer metal underneath. When this happens the gear will wear down more and more until the gear completely fails.
All new gear sets require a break-in period to prevent damage from overheating. After driving the first 15 or 20 miles it is best to let the differential cool before proceeding. I recommend at least 500 miles before long highway drives.
Now Whirring noise only while decelerating at any or all speeds is most likely caused by bad pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload, and almost never by bad ring and pinion gears.

A howl or whine during acceleration over a small or large speed range is usually caused by worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set up.

cobracote

cobracote
Established Member
Very good shop never had any issues at all with them.They said ford racing had some problems with some gearsets and that was the problem.The new set went in with no problems and the mesh was excellent.Put it all back together and took it for a roadtest and just as loud as before.They think it is the drive shaft (stock).The car has 2k miles on it and has been to the track once with the gears in it.I just dont see how it could be drive shaft.Maybe have to order a one piece and cobrajet 9 inch????

Last edited:

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
Ford has also changed manufacturers. in the past FRPP gears were made by Ford. Well not any longer. You may have also heard of other brands being more prone to whine.

You could try and get the fluid changed and add a bottle of friction modifier from Ford for the clutch packs but it also helps reduce the whine. I had it consistently with a set of aftermarket gears. They wore pretty well and I had no issues other than the whine.

Last edited:

Sprspt

Established Member
Very good shop never had any issues at all with them.They said ford racing had some problems with some gearsets and that was the problem.The new set went in with no problems and the mesh was excellent.Put it all back together and took it for a roadtest and just as loud as before.They think it is the drive shaft (stock).The car has 2k miles on it and has been to the track once with the gears in it.I just dont see how it could be drive shaft.Maybe have to order a one piece and cobra 9 inch????

Pop your spare drive shaft in Cote.....I wouldn't rush out and buy a 1 piece because you go and spend 750 on a driveshaft and pop it in and the noise is still there you ain't going to be happy...all be it a once piece drive shaft is inevitable but when your ready.

cobracote

cobracote
Established Member
I hear you sean i just hate driving it with all that noise.You know its loud when the shaker 1000 is cranking and you still hear all the whinning!!!

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
My 4.10s had whine on accel and so do my 3.73s. Not that loud so I just deal with it. When I added my UCA is when it got more noticable.

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
For proper break-in, Richmond Gear recommends 5 to 10 miles then a 30 minute cool down. They state this should be done a total of 3 times for street use.

I would probably take it easy for the next few hundred too.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
from what i understand, once the gears are installed improperly and have the whine, there is no fixing it with out another set of new gears. its from the way they mesh together.
alsways try and find a great shop to do gears, you get what you pay for

It was a level 5 dealer, best in my area

roush dealer as well and mods many cars

:shrug: whats a paying customer to do

chuckstang

Established Member
I asked and they said no break in, drive it like you stole it.

It was winter so I don't recall doing anything crazy so I dont think it was driver error but who knows

UPDATE:

noise seems worse at times and sometimes non existent. Is this possible if it is gear whine or am I hearing something else perhaps?

I feel like but I could be wrong, I hear the noise after I have been driving for a bit, so once it heats up, but right when I pull out of my garage, it is quiet, takes a little bit of time to hear it. More noticeable on the highway. Sound comes from middle of the car to the back, impossible to point and be sure as noise gets transmitted through different parts of the car

manOwar

Established Member
Mine whine through the Roll Bar!!! When if bothers me, I just speed up or slow down as needed!! I'm not giving up this set up!!!

BTW... I'M HOME AND DRIVING MY BABY!!!! Tuned her down to ~700 and she's still a hole lot of fun!!!

Thanks JL!!

Streetkiller

Established Member
I had 3.73 Ford Racing gears installed 3 days ago and watched them being installed (helped when I could). The process is slow and painful, but when installing we measured the back lash in several different positions and got between .008 - .010 back lash. No noise from the gears yet, and I drive like a jackass. I have 700-720 rwhp (2.9 whipple @ 18.5lbs boost.) The mechanic also used a special paint on the ring gear to see how they made contact with the pinion. I would have them done over - most likely an improper install.

Users who are viewing this thread