What is the most quiet exhaust?

Mowgli

Established Member
I've seen threads with folks comparing one or the other, and I've listened to wavs of each of these, but I can't tell which is the quietest of the bunch.

Looking to replace my stock system this week, but don't want something loud or that drones at highway speed. Also, need advice on wether to match up an X or H pipe with cats.

The contenders:
FR500
Borla
Bassani
Magnaflow

If there are any others that should consider (quiet, no drone, good flow) let me know, but these are the ones I've narrowed it down to.

Price is not really a concern, I'll pay for quality. Also, do any of these come with an O2 sensor bung already on?

donaisenbrey

Established Member
Of your "contenders" the FR500 is the quietest. One you might want to consider is the '01 catback (quiet, no drone, good flow). Works great on mine and is only slightly louder than stock.............Don

Last edited:

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
Dont buy Magnapacks if you want no drone.

The Steeda SS catback is a very good catback. Borla made it for Steeda.

Bassani and the regular Magnaflows are about equal in sound. W/ the Bassani a bit louder. You def. get a drone around 2000 rpms.

I have never driven a Cobra w/ a FR500, I have heard them and they do sound good.

You could also consider just a O/R X-pipe, a catted x will give you little sound diff. A lot less popping on downshifts.

In very close to buying a 03, right now Im tring to find the most quiet setup for the most hp gain.

Mowgli

Established Member
Thanks.

Does the 01 really flow better? After all I'm not doing it just for sound - I do actually want to free up the restriction.

BTW, donaisenbrey, did you have a problem with the 01 exhaust and clearance with the 03's IRS?

Last edited:

Mowgli

Established Member
I'll have to look into the Steeda SS. Hadn't heard it though. Know of any sound clips? How does it flow and sound compared to the others?

donaisenbrey

Established Member
Prior to installing the '01 CB I had them sitting next to each other and you could see the difference in bends (restrictions) the '03 looked like it was "bent" over someones knee and if it kinked.....OH WELL. The fit was perfect................Don

DYNO with the '01 CB.......395 (STD) with no other Mods. Was dumb and never did stock baseline DYNO so I have no idea how much RWHP I picked up..............Don

thedutt

Established Member
Hey Mowgli, Keep us posted on which ones you choose and the HP gains etc you see from them. I am also looking for quite exhaust setup which will gain the most HP.

nuxx

Established Member
DO NOT BUY AN FR500!!! I paid $599 for mine a few months ago, and with in the first 1000 miles one of the mufflers fell apart. Also a nice thing to note on this exhaust system, it has NO WARRANTY. Ford Racing basically told me to get ****ed... so yeah I'd buy Bassani.
-Peter

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've researched this a lot since I've been looking for a quieter aftermarket catback then the Magnaflow I tried. I've decided to give the Steeda catback a try. It is made by Borla and both (Steed/Borla and Borla) are supposed to be quieter than the Magnaflow with no drone. And they're all stainless steel. Not cheap, though. The Steeda set is $609.00 but you get a 10% SVTOA discount which helps. Amazon Racing sells the Borla catback with the new rolled edge tips. They're a bit more expensive than the Steeda system but Rick is trying hard to get Borla to lower the price. So I'd personally recommend either the Steeda/Borla catback or the Borla catback. If you're interested in the Borla unit give Rick at Amazon Racing a call. Either he or his wife Lynn can answer any questions you might have. Great folks!

wtw5974

Head Chef
Established Member
I have the Steeda X-pipe and Cat-back, and I like the sound a lot. It has a very different sound than most other system I have herd. Not very loud when everyday driving, but when your jumping on it and the rpm's are up it is loud and sweet.

Cheers
:beer:

Mowgli

Established Member
Originally posted by thedutt
Hey Mowgli, Keep us posted on which ones you choose and the HP gains etc you see from them. I am also looking for quite exhaust setup which will gain the most HP.

Will do. should be a good inidcator for you, we're pretty close in power stock, and my dyno day was "Texas-like".

I did the dyno last summer @ 1000miles on the odo. Bone stock, 92degree heat 74% humidity, literally straight off a 20 minute highway drive and up onto the dynom, in the direct sun - 356.9rwhp SAE.

So far have only added a K&N. Not worth re-dynoing, but once the exhaust goes on I will re-dyno and post the results.

Last edited:

Mowgli

Established Member
Originally posted by nuxx
DO NOT BUY AN FR500!!! I paid $599 for mine a few months ago, and with in the first 1000 miles one of the mufflers fell apart. Also a nice thing to note on this exhaust system, it has NO WARRANTY. Ford Racing basically told me to get ****ed... so yeah I'd buy Bassani.
-Peter
Thanks for the warning nuxx! Quality is important to me, and I know Bassni has it. I will steer away from the FR500. Where there's one bad story, there's ten more unposted...

Unfortunately, I know the Bassani is too loud, heard them in person (idle and behind them on highway) and they are not for me.

The search goes on...

Mowgli

Established Member
Thanks for the tip CobraBob, Dick 4 and wtw5974. Borla seems to be pleasing alot of folks.

davidmax

Established Member
I have a take off Borla with 5-600 miles on it for sale.E Mail for price and details.Dave S.
MINT!!!

Ricks2003Cobra

Established Member
I just installed the Bassani 03 x w/ cats and catback. It is not as loud as my 01 and looks great. I an not thrilled with sound in 1st and 2nd gear. It is real raspy. I have e-mailed bassani to see if the sound will change afer time. 3rd and 4th sound terrific. It has the 2000rpm drone but again, not as bad as the 01. All in all , not a bad piece. I wish I could have heard the Borla/Steeda setup though.

gcawad

Established Member
-Peter

No problems with my FR500; I have 4500 miles.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Originally posted by donaisenbrey
Of your "contenders" the FR500 is the quietest. One you might want to consider is the '01 catback (quiet, no drone, good flow). Works great on mine and is only slightly louder than stock.............Don

Hmm, I heard a guy with an '03 and the FR500 exhaust and it was louder than my magnaflows. Definantly sounded VERY nice though. Nice low gurgle.

~ever~

Established Member
I thought the FR500 had the Biggest gains in HP...
I read it in a Mustang Magazine.

Does anyone have Sound CLips ??

Users who are viewing this thread