What is the overall cost of a paint job?

birdmanbobsin8

Established Member
i have a 99 white mustang convertible and I was looking to get it painted either mach 1 azure blue or orange. What would be the ball park estimate of a good paint job of either of those colors? How hard is it do it on your own rather then taking it to a paintshop?

canibus

Established Member
If you have to ask about difficulty, then you are not qualified. It'll run you 7k to 10k for a professional job, under 3k at the lower end places.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
It requires a lot of work if you want to change colors and do it right. They'll have to pull the engine out, they'll have to pull the doors, trunk, hood, feders, lights, etc. off to spray the whole car... To do it right, you're looking at spending at least $6-7k.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
i have a 99 white mustang convertible and I was looking to get it painted either mach 1 azure blue or orange. What would be the ball park estimate of a good paint job of either of those colors? How hard is it do it on your own rather then taking it to a paintshop?

This is not a task you want to take on yourself with no experience. It's not like painting the walls in your house.

To change colors on a car is costly if you do it properly. Most of the cost will be in prep and labor.

You're looking at well over 4,000 on a complete repaint different color. And I think I'm being generous with that. I haven't had a car painted in 10+ years.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
If you have to ask about difficulty, then you are not qualified. It'll run you 7k to 10k for a professional job, under 3k at the lower end places.

+1

It requires a lot of work if you want to change colors and do it right. They'll have to pull the engine out, they'll have to pull the doors, trunk, hood, feders, lights, etc. off to spray the whole car... To do it right, you're looking at spending at least $6-7k.

+2

I do this for a living, and for a color change we start out at $6,500. For a quality job, you wont pay less than that + or - 1k. The cost of materials has sky rocketed the last 3-5 years. If you have a shop quote you 3k or something, enjoy having a sh*t job. While initially it might look good, 1-2yrs down the road it will look like terrible.

A good quality paint job will trump a factory spray 9/10 IMO in terms of quality, appearance and durability.

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
$4k for my rx7, but I had everything ready to go, sanded, stripped pretty much a rolling chassis, no windows etc.

I also painted the engine bay myself.

Franchi

Established Member
Wow, that's even more then I thought it would be.

There goes that idea of Grabber Blue....

Guess I'll just have to get a Boss in GB then. :)

LS2GTO

Established Member
They'll have to pull the engine out, they'll have to pull the doors, trunk, hood, feders, lights, etc. off to spray the whole car... To do it right, you're looking at spending at least $6-7k.

That depends if he wants to do a complete paint change or just the outside. I've seen cars with underhoods, door jams and trunks completely different colors than the outside. Not that I would want to do that, but it's not always necessary to do all that you mentioned.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
It costs A LOT. I switched from laser red to the best candy in the business. I believe the paint materials cost around $4000 and the job itself was 12K

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
lol and i bitched about what it is going to cost me to get my snomobile hood painted True Blue lol

Franchi

Established Member
/\/\

Lol I did that to a beater Blazer I had years ago. From green to Sonic Blue. For a $300 paint job, it wasn't too bad. No clearcoat, overspray everywhere but eh, I knew what I was getting.

rjs281

Established Member
What i am asking is a factory paint job considered really good,or below average or just average. Is a factory paint job like getting a $3000 dollar job or a $7000 dollar job?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
What i am asking is a factory paint job considered really good,or below average or just average. Is a factory paint job like getting a $3000 dollar job or a $7000 dollar job?
a factory paint job is like getting about a 4k paint job. not the best but certainly not the worst. I am gonna have to have my Mystichrome repainted at some point because I found a few places that are orange peeled. not horrible but enough so to piss me the **** off. THAT is going to be an expensive paint job.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
a factory paint job is like getting about a 4k paint job. not the best but certainly not the worst. I am gonna have to have my Mystichrome repainted at some point because I found a few places that are orange peeled. not horrible but enough so to piss me the **** off. THAT is going to be an expensive paint job.

Cant wait to see that bill hell I wish I could see the guys faces when you pull up and ask for a respray!

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member

Why not cut and buff it? That'll take care of any orange peel.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Why not cut and buff it? That'll take care of any orange peel.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
not sure that can be done with the mystichrome, it is certainly a thought tho

Users who are viewing this thread