What is this and do I need it?

97_CobraSVT

Established Member
The black box with the white tape on the end. I moves it a little and it cracked in two. can I just replace it with a piece of hose? Sorry for the newb question but what can I say... Im a newb :banana:

dscf3273c.jpg

Helomech74

Established Member
Remove it and just use a straight hose. Mine has been off the car for years. I might have a spare in my shop if you'd prefer to install the factory piece.

Last edited:

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
wondered that myself. looks like some kind of small vacuum reservoir and/or coupler from one size to another.

CJK440

Established Member
Its a silencer for the IAC. You can replace it with a straight piece of hose.

old yellow

Established Member
you dont need it just run straight tubing, that black box is to reduce air noise to theidle air control from what i understand

Helomech74

Established Member
Basically a noise filter is all it is. There is a little piece of foam inside of it, not sure what the foam is for, but it's in there. Mine has been off for a long time, never noticed any increased sound or anything like that.

Cobra52898

Muscle/Performance car junkie
Established Member
Its a silencer for the IAC. You can replace it with a straight piece of hose.
Makes sense, I've always wondered what it is/does but removed it years ago when trying to clean up the engine bay. I replaced it with a piece of SS braided hose that I rerouted down near the front of the engine and up to the IAC from around the drivers side of the engine. It looks a lot cleaner and didn't seem to affect how the engine idles/runs. If yours has a crack then you'll definitely want replace or get rid of it else unmetered air could be drawn into the engine through the crack.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread