What is your hood made out of?

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Harry, just because a magnet does not stick does not necessarily mean it isn't metal. Magnets will only stick to certain metals or alloys of those metals, usually Iron (most common) Cobalt, and Nickel. Of course, if it rusts, it has Iron in it (FeO), and in this case, we can probably just assume that if it's metal, a magnet will stick to it and if not, it won't, but the point still stands :beer:

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by Blades
psshaw brad.. that carbon fiber one is fuggin expensive bro..

psshaw, I broke into the garage and stole your cobra.. Im selling it to SHM for the price of their CF hood, 1600 bux.. end transmition!:loser:

Last edited:

Blades

Established Member
waaaaaaaaaaaah. hey wait a minute.. i bet you could sell that stock hood to a sixer or gt for at least 500!!! Keep ur hands off my car :mj: :D

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Ford is making composite material from ground-up old plastic parts. Part of their "environment-friendly green" image. So you hood could be made from an old Focus.....

Gumball

Established Member
Brad, is there a possibility that your hood is metal because it's a vert. I have the same car and my hood is heavy. Never tried the magnet thing, but it sure doesn't feel like a composite.

I'm glad you brought this up as it reminded me of all the "my hood is light and doesn't close very well" threads. Or maybe Ford sends metal hoods to all people in the Northeast because they know how well we all drive!!

Gumball

Established Member
Racerat, I was hoping you went to work so as to not disprove my genius theory, ha ha. I did see in your original post that yours wasn't metal. My other thought was that they made a change in the later run cars. Mine was a November build. However, I do think Brad got his car fairly early in the game.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
No fear! I'm always here to shoot down theories!! :burn: LOL

I find it very intriguing there is metal in his hood. I'd like to know the answer to this mystery.
I had a magnet all over my car last night. Kinda depressing to find out how little metal is actually in the car.

My car was one of the very first built...picked it up June 19 and it was there for at least two weeks.

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
You don't need a magnet guys... Just tap the hood and then tap the fender. NIGHT AND DAY. The trunk is also composite.

Mac03Cobra

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
Nawwwww you guys got it all wrong. I just read a mag where it says that Ford is getting the material for thier composites from old hand held female personal massage units. :)

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
My Cobra has composite hood and trunk lid.
Built 11-27-02.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Well i have had other cars and found out they are early productions doesnt matter if one has and one not. Engineering usually says use up the parts so some might and might not get them. I would bet that if his is a metal one his car might be worth something more when its traced out. On past one i owned I found it had a proto type Alum hood. never could fig it out why mine was so light.

KingSnake

Established Member
JUst went outside and put a magnet on the hood and it sild right off. Maybe its that awesome Klasse Sealant Glaze.:)

Users who are viewing this thread