What is your hood made out of?

Brad

Banned
I was messing with the hood today taking that shield thing off the underside. Now that shield rubbed away a little of the paint, and right near the heat extractor vents there is a little rust. My hood is pretty damn heavy if you ask me, and when you close it, it drops with the fury. Also a rock flew up and hit my hood a few weeks back, and I did some touch up work on it today, and the chip was rust colored, I cleared the rustiness away and applied the touch-up paint. Now with the above evidence you would assume it was metal right? Well seeing I save all published documentation about the 03 cobra, I cracked open the spec book with the yellow cobra convertible on the cover. It says, “The cobra is equipped with a light weight composite hood.” Since when does a light weight composite hood rust and weight the same as the hood on my explorer? Anyone have some input here?

Brad

Banned
Kinda a weird question, but does it seem heavy? I think ford stuck a metal hood on my car! Does any 03 have a metal hood? Has there ever been a metal 03 hood, this is so werid, what the hell. :nonono:

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by HotRodHarry
Just put a magnet on your hood to see if it sticks...if it does..its metal. If it doesnt..composite.

Also....maybe that red rusty color you are seeing is primer?
Just another thought

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
www.Nitrous.com

did that.. it sticks everywhere except from the vents back to the windsheild of the car. :dw:

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
You mean the hood vents back. So just the front area sticks? Maybe they have metal in that area for the hood latch?

Interesting......

I just went an checked mine....magnet doesnt stick anywhere on mine...composite for sure.

Hmmmmm.......is your car a first run car?

Harry

Last edited:

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by HotRodHarry
You mean the hood vents back. So just the front area sticks? Maybe they have metal in that area for the hood latch?

Interesting......

I just went an checked mine....magnet doesnt stick anywhere on mine...composite for sure.

Hmmmmm.......is your car a first run car?

Harry

yeah

HotRodHarry

Established Member
Jumpincactus....is yours a first run car too?

Just trying to figure something out...I will have to check my dads 03 Cobra . His is a first run..mine is a second run.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
I just tried a 3"x4" flat refridgerator magent. The hood and trunk are all composite. No sticky any where, even near the latch, from the outside. Scoops too. It just slid like it's on a kitchen counter. YDH1 car.

It stuck to the fenders no problem.

Sounds like you have a metal hood with composite scoops. This was after you took the blanket off? The blanket has metal in it and on it.

Weird. I have heard others complain about the weight of their hoods. I always wondered why they said that since mine is no heavier than my 94's was. Maybe theirs are metal too.

Last edited:

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
My entire hood is composite, as is the trunk lid, scoops, and all panals and beems around the windows, both side and back.
Hood seems heavy to me though, must be heavy duty composite material....
Late first run car...

HotRodHarry

Established Member
Maybe Ford ran out of composite hoods and used metal hoods with a composite top? We have seen stranger things happen with these cars.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
2003 Dark Shadow Grey Cobra (20 lbs of boost)

socalcobra03

Established Member
When I took my car in for service, one of the guys working on the car hit the side of the hood and chipped it while it was up. Im getting a new hood in a couple weeks but I can see composite/fiberglass material inside, its not metal

Brad

Banned
Well do you think they would give me an all composite hood? maybe ill just order a carbon fiber one.. eh.. to hell with it:-D

Users who are viewing this thread