What keeps you in a GT?

Stanger00

Established Member
I wish I had gone a coyote build with a T56 magnum over my current 2 valve. For me it's sentimental value. I've had my GT for 10 years! It's a beast these days but still not complete.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
You forgot the drive train, suspension, brakes, seats, dash cluster and the 'little things' that actually make the Cobra an upgrade from the GT.

Lol, trust me I know what makes a Cobra. You also forgot to mention the rear suspension anti-moan brackets that are stamped "Cobra" on real Cobras. I'm talking for about 99% of the population that is fooled by a v6 with a Cobra badge on the side... I get what you are saying though, there are a million things and I've never seen a clone done 100% correctly ever especially the 5.0 SN95s. Anyway tomato tomato, as I said, same body, everything is interchangeable and the 4V Cobras command a ridiculous premium whereas you can get a 2V of the same year for next to nothing especially a NPI.

There is something about having a clean looking 2v compared to a clean cobra that is double or triple the price. I plan on getting a kenne bell and keeping almost stock look. Want people to laugh and think I have a stock 2v vert then put the hood and be like what lol love the underdogs!! ;)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I challenge anyone to find a Cobra that is cleaner than my GT. Not saying there isn't one out there that isn't as nice but mine is rust free with a mint interior and factory paint that is still 9/10 after 15 years of being a garage queen.

98mustang001.jpg

2012-06-23_19-16-20_530.jpg

Last edited:

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
Lol, trust me I know what makes a Cobra. You also forgot to mention the rear suspension anti-moan brackets that are stamped "Cobra" on real Cobras. I'm talking for about 99% of the population that is fooled by a v6 with a Cobra badge on the side... I get what you are saying though, there are a million things and I've never seen a clone done 100% correctly ever especially the 5.0 SN95s. Anyway tomato tomato, as I said, same body, everything is interchangeable and the 4V Cobras command a ridiculous premium whereas you can get a 2V of the same year for next to nothing especially a NPI.

I challenge anyone to find a Cobra that is cleaner than my GT. Not saying there isn't one out there that isn't as nice but mine is rust free with a mint interior and factory paint that is still 9/10 after 15 years of being a garage queen.

98mustang001.jpg

2012-06-23_19-16-20_530.jpg

Exactly man I agree. Everybody tells me to get a cobra but I would be very hard pressed to find one with less miles and in mint condition. Mine is factory paint too and probably 9/10 & never seen salt so rust free as well. Here is a few photos. We need to get these cars together!

20121007_173815_zpsbe56e1ba.jpg

20120915_173353.jpg

20121007_172717_zps454f70f2.jpg

scottydsntknow

Established Member
That one is silly clean. Lol an Ohio and NJ car that are rust free, that has to be some sort of paradox...

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
Clean cars!

I'm a mustang enthusiast period. Ever since I was a kid I remember wanting to own one and I've always been partial to the 99-04 new edge styling. I'm one that actually likes the looks of the hood scoop/side scoops or so called saddlebags!

03/04 Cobras as said above are easy to mod. They are fast from the factory and you can slap some small fuel upgrades along with a small pulley and be over 500 with ease.

One thing that I've never really understood is the 4v swap craze. Personally I've always thought these were a waste of money unless it's built with a power adder. Stock n/a 4v isn't anything crazy to me. If I was going to do a 4v swap it would be a built 4v or at the very least an 03/04 cobra short block. Only problem with that is low compression. Anyways, I just don't get the craze I guess. I've never had the urge to go 4v.

I bought my GT new in early 05 for under 20k (6500+ off sticker!). I couldn't pass up the deal vs the 13-14k the dealer was asking for lower mileage used GT's at the time. Being the original owner to a 50k mile GT is what keeps me in mine. I can also say that along with a good buddy we pulled the original motor and assembled/built the new motor ourselves. I've had just about every part off of this car during the swap.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Clean cars!

I'm a mustang enthusiast period. Ever since I was a kid I remember wanting to own one and I've always been partial to the 99-04 new edge styling. I'm one that actually likes the looks of the hood scoop/side scoops or so called saddlebags!

03/04 Cobras as said above are easy to mod. They are fast from the factory and you can slap some small fuel upgrades along with a small pulley and be over 500 with ease.

One thing that I've never really understood is the 4v swap craze. Personally I've always thought these were a waste of money unless it's built with a power adder. Stock n/a 4v isn't anything crazy to me. If I was going to do a 4v swap it would be a built 4v or at the very least an 03/04 cobra short block. Only problem with that is low compression. Anyways, I just don't get the craze I guess. I've never had the urge to go 4v.

I bought my GT new in early 05 for under 20k (6500+ off sticker!). I couldn't pass up the deal vs the 13-14k the dealer was asking for lower mileage used GT's at the time. Being the original owner to a 50k mile GT is what keeps me in mine. I can also say that along with a good buddy we pulled the original motor and assembled/built the new motor ourselves. I've had just about every part off of this car during the swap.

My buddy got an 04 in late 04 for like $21k, black GT 5 spd with the anthracite bullit rims, charcoal leather, gorgeous. I convinced him to not do the dronemasters he was set on and get a Magnaflow catback, shop in Dover, DE did it for $360 installed. Those were the days... I also convinced him to get a Tri-Ax and you know that car was pretty damn fast for back in 04 and being stock... Like I said I do love me some new edges and if the 98 I got was not so clean with 0 rust and the PI motor swapped into it I would probably have kept looking for a new edge. I think for a DD I would like to sell my CSVT and find a nice V6 New Edge vert auto, then swap the rear/PI motor in my 98 into it when I get my built Teksid and IRS into the 98.

And yeah I don't get swapping in a 4V at all what with the 2V stuff being so cheap/readily available and all the aftermarket stuff out for the 2V now. Not to mention they still make brand new 2V heads and the supply of good 4V Revised heads is getting a little scarce...

Because Race Car

I'm hoping to pick up a SN95 Cobra sometime in the next few years.

I had a 95 and it was nice and nice to have a real Cobra... but I found that it just wasn't worth the premium I paid for it. I could have got a GT just as nice for around $6k and I paid $12k for the Cobra. Granted it had 40k miles in 2003 and was garaged all its life but still... Lesson learned.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
That one is silly clean. Lol an Ohio and NJ car that are rust free, that has to be some sort of paradox...

Thanks man yours is too! I know right I haven't drove mine on a over a week cause of snow and salt on roads and more coming! Miss driving it already lol we need to get these cars together. Painted sub frames is a cool feature that makes it really clean underneath lol

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Mine hasn't been out for like a week too and now with this snow tomorrow who knows. Maybe next week to work if its suppossed to be nice all day... Its going to be down for a little while after tax season when the t45 comes out to get rebuilt. I can't shift quick without a grind. Blah...

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
Mine hasn't been out for like a week too and now with this snow tomorrow who knows. Maybe next week to work if its suppossed to be nice all day... Its going to be down for a little while after tax season when the t45 comes out to get rebuilt. I can't shift quick without a grind. Blah...

Yeah snowing more now. Another 4-5 tonight lol and I have auto so no issues there lol but got a bunch of suspension stuff I want to do to make it ride like perfect so I need to start getting that together and decide if I want to drop the money on a kb

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I've got suspension from the PO but it is not exactly world beating... makes the car look good tho. Will be upgrading in the future but after the trans I'll be doing a Tork Tech and then sorting the suspension out.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
I've got suspension from the PO but it is not exactly world beating... makes the car look good tho. Will be upgrading in the future but after the trans I'll be doing a Tork Tech and then sorting the suspension out.
yeah im going suspension before i get blown. i already got a control arm bushing out but i guess thats what happens when a 10 year car only has 48k miles and sits every winter lol so i got control arm bushings, ball joints, bump steer, bilstiens f & r and lower control arms to do for spring and hoping it makes it ride nice

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I've got BBK springs and Tokicos lowered with MM CC plates and I have Steeda LCAs out back. I'm actually reversing what I said earlier and will probably get the suspension done and then just build up a boost motor with the teksid I have to drop it all in at once. I'll keep the PI motor though, at that point will be on the lookout for a clean New Edge V6 vert auto that needs a motor. I can't see getting very much more than $1k total for the motor/rear/wheels/used suspension and if I can find a nice New Edge to put them in that can be my DD.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
I've got BBK springs and Tokicos lowered with MM CC plates and I have Steeda LCAs out back. I'm actually reversing what I said earlier and will probably get the suspension done and then just build up a boost motor with the teksid I have to drop it all in at once. I'll keep the PI motor though, at that point will be on the lookout for a clean New Edge V6 vert auto that needs a motor. I can't see getting very much more than $1k total for the motor/rear/wheels/used suspension and if I can find a nice New Edge to put them in that can be my DD.

Yeah I got eibach pro kits but doesn't sit quite low enough. And I'm going with bilsteins I believe. How are the steeda control arms? I heard hotchiks were better then steeda so I might try those.

And yeah you could probably get one for dirt cheap that needs an engine

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

scottydsntknow

Established Member
The steedas are OK... The max motorsports ones I had in my cobra were nicer tho. I would go with mm again if I was keeping the SRA.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread