What kind of boost should I see?

juskol18

Established Member
Ok guys I'm sure this question has been beat to death but I can't find my answer! I have a 2003 with a Steggy stage 4 port. 2.9 upper pulley, 6# lower. I'm only seeing 12-13 lbs out of it and that seems low to me???

juskol18

Established Member
I just bought the car and wasn't told it had cams and the exhaust is straight! (Which is changing as soon as my mufflers come in) What are the odds that the boost bypass mod was already done, and when I did it again I swapped it back to stock?

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
This isn't on a stock boost gauge that hasn't been modified? Usually you don't have to do the boost bypass mod if your tuner set it up right.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
What problems could cause this? What should I look for?

The obvious is belt slip. Double check you really have a 6# lower as your numbers are right inline with a stock lower. Remember boost is a measure of restriction so if your motor is flowing all that air you'll see lower boost numbers but more HP. Has the car been dyno'd? If so where's it at? If you have long tubes, cams, ported heads etc. that will all flow the air and lower your boost too.

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
Measure it. Just cause its an aftermarket Metco lower kit doesn't mean its bigger then stock. 9.10" is the size of a 6# lower
You could have a ton of belt slip.
you could have a boost leak. Look over all your hoses, and again double check you are running the boost bypass correctly.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I Just measured it it appeared to be anywhere between 8.75 and 8 13/16"

I don't know stock size by heart but I have a stock lower laying on the garage floor I could measure for you tomorrow if no one has answered by then.

cj428mach

Established Member
Metco has all the sizes listed on their site under the belt size guide. I believe stock is 7.60

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
As already pointed out the obvious culprit to rule out is belt slip. If your lower pulley measured closer to 8.6" you may have a 4lb lower instead of a 6lb. We need to know the exact pulley combo (as in sizes of every single pulley including idlers) and what size belt you're running.

What boost bypass mod did you do?

Users who are viewing this thread