What kind of boots do you wear?

W6330

Will
Established Member
I wear the Nike combat boots they are comfortable and very light. You have to go to Nike.com to order them.

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
Oakleys... had the same pair since 09 and have done everything in them, Robin Sage, Airborne and numerous rucks with out a single blister and they are very durable. Finally getting another pair. I only use them in the field since they are worn. I wear old school tan jungle boots in garrison.

Ande99SVT

Lazy Ass Rifleman
Established Member
If you can get away with wearing these in the field, they're hard to beat. They obviously won't fly in garrison due to the reinforcement crap on the sides. I have a pair of mids that are the most comfortable boots I've owned. Lowa Desert Zephyrs.

lowa_high_top_desert_zephyr.jpg

The price on those is unbeatable, I may have to snag a pair for deployment.

Oakleys... had the same pair since 09 and have done everything in them, Robin Sage, Airborne and numerous rucks with out a single blister and they are very durable. Finally getting another pair. I only use them in the field since they are worn. I wear old school tan jungle boots in garrison.

I've heard nothing but bad things about Oakley boots. A few buddies who are in line companies and bought them for Afghanistan said they fell apart in two months.

Last edited:

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
I've heard nothing but bad things about Oakley boots. A few buddies who are in line companies and bought them for Afghanistan said they fell apart in two months.

When they first Oakley used to make 2 grades of the oakley boots. One that had glued on soles with stitching only in the front and back, and another that had stitching that went all the way around the outside of the sole. The glued ones fall apart, now they only make the ones that are completely stitched. Never had a problem with mine, and I'm a big fan of them.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I bought a pair of Oakley boots about 3 weeks ago. The first ruck march was great. 8 miles with zero blisters. The next ruck march, developed hot spots and small blisters. Another ruck march and the blisters are worse. This past Monday I did a 10 mile ruck march and my feet were tore the **** up.

It's pretty frustrating having a boot that is getting worse every time. I'm wondering if it's because I've only had 5-6 days between ruck marches and therefore my feet are still tender? But it does feel as if the boot is moving around more and not fitting quite as snug, which is pretty obvious that it's getting broken in. So maybe I got a pair a half size too big.

With that being said I ordered a pair of the Nike SFB's last night and should get them by tomorrow. Next weekend I have a 30 mile march so I'll up date on how that goes with the Nike boots.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
I bought a pair of Oakley boots about 3 weeks ago. The first ruck march was great. 8 miles with zero blisters. The next ruck march, developed hot spots and small blisters. Another ruck march and the blisters are worse. This past Monday I did a 10 mile ruck march and my feet were tore the **** up.

It's pretty frustrating having a boot that is getting worse every time. I'm wondering if it's because I've only had 5-6 days between ruck marches and therefore my feet are still tender? But it does feel as if the boot is moving around more and not fitting quite as snug, which is pretty obvious that it's getting broken in. So maybe I got a pair a half size too big.

With that being said I ordered a pair of the Nike SFB's last night and should get them by tomorrow. Next weekend I have a 30 mile march so I'll up date on how that goes with the Nike boots.

Are you wearing nylons under your socks? From one infantry man to the next, try it. It was actually suggested to me by a 13A Army (USMC 0311 myself). The first time I did it guys in my platoon were making fun of me, calling me gay and shit for wearing knee highs, after 3 marches in 3 weeks I didn't have a single blister in standard issue boots. 4th week every single person in my platoon including our O wore them out.

jliddle

Established Member
Are you wearing nylons under your socks? From one infantry man to the next, try it. It was actually suggested to me by a 13A Army (USMC 0311 myself). The first time I did it guys in my platoon were making fun of me, calling me gay and shit for wearing knee highs, after 3 marches in 3 weeks I didn't have a single blister in standard issue boots. 4th week every single person in my platoon including our O wore them out.

I'll have to keep this in mind. Is there a certain kind to buy?

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
Smart wool makes great socks or fox river. I like smart wool better because the soles of their socks have rubber in them for extra cushioning and their liners seem to do a better job of wicking moisture away from the foot and evacuating it out the top of the sock.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
I'll have to keep this in mind. Is there a certain kind to buy?

Honestly I just went to the PX and bought a pare of womens knee high nylons. Sounds gas as hell, but it worked. You can feel your foot slide inside your sock, but it doesn't burn. Kind of hard to describe.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

I use the nylon dress socks as liners and they do help a little. I also wear Fox River socks, which are the best boot socks I've ever worn. However, I'm trying to get away from using the dress socks as liners because you are not allowed to use them at SFAS.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member

Something else you can try is using Tincture of Benzoin. It basically glues your socks to your feet reducing the friction between the sock and your feet. It is alos good to "glue" blisters back to your skin after you pop them. It will initially hurt like hell on an open blister but will help in the long run. I have used this this technique since 1990 when I marched in Nijmegan, Fort Bragg and has a Battery Commander leading ruck marches. (about 15 years of ruck marches) I have tried the nylons and about anything else you can imagine but this is has always worked for me. Just a suggestion.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
So a little update on the Nike SFB's. FANTASTIC! The best boots I've ever owned hands down. I bought the boots and wore them for a few days to try to adjust to the boot because it used the Nike RunFree technology/approach. The adjustment period was needed because at first it felt like the boot might have been too narrow but in the end it broke in and now it feels perfect.

On day 4 of owning the boot I went on a 3 mile run with them on. The first mile was to adjust to the boot and re-tie. 2nd mile was timed, and I actually managed a 6.21 1 mile in boots! Pretty damn impressive considering I typically run a 5.50-6.00 with running shoes on. The third mile I threw in some Parkour and the boots performed flawlessly.

Today, I did an 18 mile ruck march in the Grand Canyon with a 60lb ruck. So this ruck march had it all, steep up hill and down hill, soft sandy areas, flat solid rock areas, gravel, large loose rock, and I crossed a small stream and submerged the boots. All said and done not a single blister! I didn't do any foot prep either. I didn't apply any mole skin to known hot spot areas, didn't wear sock liners either. Just the Nike SFB's and Fox River socks. I never thought I would ever have boots this good. I'm buying 2 more pairs with my check on the 15th. Again, best boots I've ever owned.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I just switched to the Danners about a week ago since my Summer boots finally gave out and gotta say, they feel great on my feet. But ever since I started wearing them I've had TERRIBLE shin splints. I mean almost fall down, curl into a ball, and CRY shin splints, lol. I come home and my wife laughs at me trying to get up and down our stairs.

Users who are viewing this thread