What kind of problem does this tread wear show?

4.6+5.0

Established Member
The ride has gotten harsher and i'm due for some new tires but when taking a look at them yesterday the wear looked odd. I got a tire pressure gauge to check and all 4 tires were 28-30psi and the wear caves in at the middle of the tire only on the fronts, the backs looked nothing like the front wear.

This is the drivers front

This is the passenger front

4.6+5.0

Established Member
Still looks like overinflation to me. Surprised it's not the same in the rear. Were the tires rotated recently?

Yep prolly bout 2-3 months ago at discount tire store. Not sure how many miles that is but I do drive quite a bit. So it points to over inflation and not a suspension problem like struts?

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Yep prolly bout 2-3 months ago at discount tire store. Not sure how many miles that is but I do drive quite a bit. So it points to over inflation and not a suspension problem like struts?

I don't see any signs of strut wear. Does look like some shoulder feathering, though. If that's happening even with frequent rotations then your toe might be off a bit.

Grant808

Established Member

That explains it. I wouldn't worry about your struts or suspension.

2012GTCS

Established Member
agreed on over inflation...now you have me worrying...

What would classify as over inflation? would 40PSI be over inflation on a tire that says max 51?? (Falken F452's on 19" RTRs) A shop did all 4 tires to 40 and I used to have at 33-35.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Pretty sure the door sticker says 32. Not a good plan to go to the max printed on the sidewall.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
agreed on over inflation...now you have me worrying...

What would classify as over inflation? would 40PSI be over inflation on a tire that says max 51?? (Falken F452's on 19" RTRs) A shop did all 4 tires to 40 and I used to have at 33-35.

You're supposed to go by the door sticker, not what the tire is rated at.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
+ whatever towards overinflation.

FWIW, I always ran my truck 3-4 psi over Ford reccommended psi. Only on SUPER HOT Texas summer days and driving highway speeds (70-80) on black asphalt did I see my psi reach tire max psi. That was only twice too...

Probably do the same on the Mustang. Typically 34-35 is a number I like.

4.6+5.0

Established Member
No brake stands here and they are still the factory tires with 35k-ish miles on them.

Swetrid

Established Member
35k on the tires? Thats pretty normal out of the stock Pirelli's. I would say normal tire wear/maybe over inflated especially if they were on the rear for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread