What makes a transmission gear non-synchronized?

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Someone mind explaining this to me? I have two transmissions that have non synchronized first gears, meaning you have to be at a stop before shifting into them. Im about to do a rebuild on one of them and it got me thinking on how it works.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
It means it literally does NOT have synchronizers in the transmission. Think of a synchronizer as a "mini clutch" that speeds the gear up to the appropriate speed to prevent grinding and aid smooth shifting.

10splaya22

Established Member
It means it literally does NOT have synchronizers in the transmission. Think of a synchronizer as a "mini clutch" that speeds the gear up to the appropriate speed to prevent grinding and aid smooth shifting.

Yea it's just a cone type clutch and they can be made out of different materials depending on the application but look on google because there is lots of good info and diagrams showing how it works.

Robert Francis

Established Member
Traditionally, it was thought by those in the auto industry that most people would not shift into first gear while in motion, but only from a standing stop. Therefore it wasn't necessary to have any form of synchronizer for first gear.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
It's good to hear the trans work it's magic. When i go from a high speed to 1st SLOWLY, you can hear the internals speed the hell up before it goes in easy.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Can't you just bring the RPMs up before shifting into first instead of this double clutching business?

That's what you're doing.

If you tried to go from 2'nd to 1'st gear, the clutch and input assembly are spinning too slowly for the gears to engage and they will grind until the speeds are equal.

You need to shift to neutral, let the clutch out, spin up the motor/clutch/input assembly, clutch in, get 1'st gear, and let clutch out slowly. Keep the motor revved so the engine speed and drivetrain speed match.

Synchromesh transmissions are pretty cool, once you see how they work you'll understand.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
My transmission will grind going into first at a complete stop unless i go into second first. Sometimes i have to double clutch since first will be locked out.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
That's what you're doing.

If you tried to go from 2'nd to 1'st gear, the clutch and input assembly are spinning too slowly for the gears to engage and they will grind until the speeds are equal.

You need to shift to neutral, let the clutch out, spin up the motor/clutch/input assembly, clutch in, get 1'st gear, and let clutch out slowly. Keep the motor revved so the engine speed and drivetrain speed match.

Synchromesh transmissions are pretty cool, once you see how they work you'll understand.

I do all that minus letting the clutch out and grabbing it again. Just blip the throttle up and engage the shifter into first and it goes right in for me without grinding and sticking.

Users who are viewing this thread