What oil do you use?

Nineonesix

Established Member
96-04 4valves all take 5-30 synthetic (6 qts for the mach) doesnt matter what the dip stick says.. 6 qts is full... (our dipsticks are off) t3650 should only use dexIII (which is nonsynthetic only) 3.0L... the diff oem fluid is synthetic 75-140 but eaton says to use nonsynthetic..

I know the argument between 5-30 and 5-20 but to say it like its all fact is a little misleading. Since the oil cap says 5-20 I would put a little faith into the ford engineers

cobra916

Established Member
I know the argument between 5-30 and 5-20 but to say it like its all fact is a little misleading. Since the oil cap says 5-20 I would put a little faith into the ford engineers

cafe standards for automobiles... that is the only reason ford went with 5-20

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member

Yea the ongoing argument. I put in 5-20 because thats what it recommends. If Ford didnt believe the weight wasn't enough, they would have adjusted it. Its also what the owners manual says as well.

cobra916

Established Member
Yea the ongoing argument. I put in 5-20 because thats what it recommends. If Ford didnt believe the weight wasn't enough, they would have adjusted it. Its also what the owners manual says as well.

81958548.rUywd6IH.youanleadahorsetowat.jpg

Last edited:

Nineonesix

Established Member

With this in mind, i would have to say if 5w-20 is so bad for the engine, would leave me questioning if my car has been fine since 03/04, that 5-6 years later its still running fine, how exactly much can it be bad for our cars. How many miles does it take? between people with supercharged/turbo charged and race/street driven it would be a little more widespread.

Im just saying in the end of it all, to say the words. DO NOT use 5w-20 of mod motors, but yet so many have for YEARS and the issue is still debatable. I just see some doubt.

cobra916

Established Member
With this in mind, i would have to say if 5w-20 is so bad for the engine, would leave me questioning if my car has been fine since 03/04, that 5-6 years later its still running fine, how exactly much can it be bad for our cars. How many miles does it take? between people with supercharged/turbo charged and race/street driven it would be a little more widespread.

Im just saying in the end of it all, to say the words. DO NOT use 5w-20 of mod motors, but yet so many have for YEARS and the issue is still debatable. I just see some doubt.

if you actually read the link i provided ..and know all the names that have been quoted..and you still want to use 5-20..then by all means do :beer: also no one is saying your motor will just fall apart with 5-20 either.

Nineonesix

Established Member
if you actually read the link i provided ..and know all the names that have been quoted..and you still want to use 5-20..then by all means do :beer: also no one is saying your motor will just fall apart with 5-20 either.

What I got from that link, is that the second I use 5w-20 my motor will self destruct. Again There are a few threads about this almost everywhere on the net (m1r) and so many mach1 guys use 5-w20 and have for years. 6 and 7 years now. From what I figure the damage is caused after 5-7 years, otherwise they would have a hefty bill replacing all these engines under warranty, would they not? It just dosent add up for me, they say I should take the word of a guy who has blown so many mod motors using different oils? After how many simulated miles...it just comes does to how these test were performed which the article makes no mention of. Its just the opinion of one guy (the other makes no mention, just the cafe standards). A car company cant just go cheap on something so essential and just pay the costs down the road under warranties?...Im just saying.

Last edited:

YLDHORSE

Established Member
I always use 5w20 synthetic and have switched brands a few times. Started with Ford as that is what came in it new, then Royal Purple, and Mobile 1.
I am trying out Castrol Syntec at the moment. They all seem to do the job well as long as you keep it changed regularly.

Note on 5w20, I beat the heck out of my car at the 1/4 mile track, and had the engine apart last year as I got cams/springs put in. They said the engine still looked new with little to no wear. Just saying! :) I have had the car since new and change the oil regularly.

Last edited:

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
5w-20
6 qrts TOTAL
motorcraft filter( primed with about 1/2 qrt )

full syn of some kind. I've gone through motorcradt, mobil 1, pennzoil and now valvoline. They all seem the same, really.

Users who are viewing this thread