what oil is everyone using?

98gtstang

www.snma.net
Established Member
Originally posted by 95oRANGEcRUSH
Castrol GTX 10w-30.

Been debating on whether or not I should switch to Mobil 1, myself. I just don't think that at the stage my car is at w/ 72,ooo miles, that it will benefit. Sure, it may free up some HP, but nothing of signifigance.

Maybe I'm wrong? :shrug:
Thats what im using right now. Any of you think I should change to Mobil 1?? My car has 59,000 miles, and if I should is it synthetic or what? Thanks

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Originally posted by 98gtstang
Thats what im using right now. Any of you think I should change to Mobil 1?? My car has 59,000 miles, and if I should is it synthetic or what? Thanks

Go ahead a use Mobil 1. It's good stuff.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
royal purple from 24000 miles and now have 53000 and it gets better gas milage. i love the stuff:beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
IMO there is a definate advantage to a full synth oil, several really,
#1 protection, actually impregnates pores of metal surfaces,IE very slippery
#2 takes incredible heat w/o breaking down
#3 gets where it needs to be on cold starts faster than dino oil
#4 because of #1 you will also benefit from more avail. power or if you choose not to use the power, better mpg.
a word to the wise however don't get stupid w/ drain intervals and don't muck around w/ different weights. a 20w50 synth won't cycle as many times as a 5w30 synth(you're recomended weight)therefore it can't remove as much heat from your rod bearings, heat removal is a very important funtion of the oil. damn! what a freaking long winded old bastard sorry guys!

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 95oRANGEcRUSH
So I should go with Mobil 1 5W-30 for my car?
There is nothing wrong with that choice, but there are better oils. Do a search on the username Cobra'03 and search for oil or synthetic or whatever. Lots of good info in his posts.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Do you plan on keeping it for a while? Do you care how long all that swingin
and spining stuff lasts? if the answers are yes and yes then the answer is yes! Run a full synth that you know you will be able to always get a hold of when it's time. Run what you can get in your area. I'm a gear head and I used to work with a guy who is now at royal purple, so that is what I run. plus Ive read the dyno tests on the stuff. but mobile one is more readily available your call

98gtstang

www.snma.net
Established Member
Thanks for the link bro :d There are a few shops in town that sell RP I might have to try it out on the next oil change comeing up.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I look at it like this, I could get Amsoil or RP but I'd have to order it. On the other hand, I can get Mobil 1 just about any where. So if your 300 miles from your house and a quart low what are going to do. Mobil 1 is a very high quality oil that is redialy avalible(sp) and it gets my vote.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Is it a good choice to switch to a full synthetic now that I'm at high mileage? I'm at almost 72,ooo miles and everything is good so far. I'd hate to switch and mess it all up, especially since things have been great to date.

Also, why 5W-30? I'm using 10W-30 Castrol GTX now; why woud I switch to less of a weight? Shouldn't I be getting 10W-30?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
98gtstang I checked for you it's available at
Maximum Performance
3350 Pinks Place
Las Vegas NV 89102
702-220-5262

MCR Corvettes
5115 South Industrial Road
Las Vegas NV 89118
702-736-6954

98gtstang

www.snma.net
Established Member
Thats bro I am probably going to try RP:D But like 95ORANGECRUSH said I also have Castrol 10w-30 so why should we go to 5w-30. BTW like he also asked about mileage I have 59,000 is it ok to switch? Thanks fot the help.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
95orangecrush you can switch at any mileage. the sooner the better.I switched my old 5.0 wagon @130k once i had my leak issues resolved
by a new pcv screen. Just try try to to stick with what you pick don't go changing back and forth cause when you drain it, it never all comes out and i have heard of some additives reacting to each other in a 5 or 6 oil back to back dyno test ,

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
as far as the weight goes correct me if I'm wrong but isn't 5w30 factory fill?
5w30 on a dyno would or should make more power less parasitic drag, not to mention heat removal which belive me is no small deal. see previous post

Users who are viewing this thread