What other damage should I be looking for?

arc00ta

Established Member
So I finally got around to getting the blower off of the car today, it was running surprisingly well when I parked it about a month ago to get it taken apart to replace the power steering pump. Anyways, got the blower off and removed the intercooler (naturally breaking two of the bolts) and found it looking like this:

2012-04-28_14-01-57_129.jpg

2012-04-28_14-02-05_176.jpg

2012-04-28_14-02-13_504.jpg

Lots of little dents in the IC so is it safe to assume the motor has ingested some metal pieces? Should I go ahead and take the heads off now and see what the cylinders look like?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Were you physically able to remove metal fragments? The rotors looks like it was exposed to some minor pitting and abrasion but I don't see signs of major damage from foreign matter. What type of air filter are you running? .............let me guess, K&N!

If your engine did ingest any metal its probably been blown out the exhaust valve long ago. Do a leakdown test if your concerned but it sounds like your motor was running fine before you pulled the blower off.

arc00ta

Established Member
Were you physically able to remove metal fragments? The rotors looks like it was exposed to some minor pitting and abrasion but I don't see signs of major damage from foreign matter. What type of air filter are you running? .............let me guess, K&N!

If your engine did ingest any metal its probably been blown out the exhaust valve long ago. Do a leakdown test if your concerned but it sounds like your motor was running fine before you pulled the blower off.

Slivers of metal came out like powder when I flipped it over, I couldn't get a picture of it because it all went in the coolant bucket. I guess you can't tell from the picture but the edge of the rotor has actually dug into the other side significantly. They've probably been touching like that for a long time.

SlowSVT

Established Member
That doesn't sound good. I would pop the blower inlet off and see how far forward the abrasion damage occurs. If its right at the leading edge of the rotors chances are that is from grit being ingested getting past the air filter which is unclear at this time what you are using. I would post more pictures showing the extent of the rotor, case and possible bearing damage. If you were getting metal slivers I would not re-install the blower until you get this resolved. How many miles are on the engine?

Post more pics.

arc00ta

Established Member
That doesn't sound good. I would pop the blower inlet off and see how far forward the abrasion damage occurs. If its right at the leading edge of the rotors chances are that is from grit being ingested getting past the air filter which is unclear at this time what you are using. I would post more pictures showing the extent of the rotor, case and possible bearing damage. If you were getting metal slivers I would not re-install the blower until you get this resolved. How many miles are on the engine?

Post more pics.

Thanks for the help.

Yes I will get more pics this week with a real camera and not my cell phone. I have to the shop to get some though. The filter/airbox is stock, it did have the K&N on it when I bought it but it was packed with dirt so I replaced it with a stock one. My next effort is to get the valve covers off, the original problem I am trying to fix is the timing chain guides are very badly worn but I think I may end up pulling the heads now as well.

Users who are viewing this thread