What size tires can I use on 18x9 cobraR

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
I just designed a flash based website for this guy, and he gave me a set of 2000 18x9 Cobra R rims for the job. These are the aftermarket rims with a 24mm offset.

I was wondering... What is the largest or best width to put on this size of a rim. I would like to go with 285/35x18 in the rear, and 265/35x18 in the front. Tirebrand? I was thinking about the Nittos, the seem to be a pretty good tire for the money. Any thoughts on best bang for the buck tires?

Thanks!

Rick

dmark101

dmark101
Established Member
the cobra r's came with bfg comp t/a kd tires. i think it was 275/40/18 on them as well.

i like both of your choices of tire sizes. personally, i planned on getting some cobra r wheels and putting either some pirelli p-zero tires on them, but i've seen them with kumho ecsta supra 712's as well. kumho also just released a new drag radial, the ecsta mx, which is supposed to be comparable to the nitto nt555r. goodyear eagle f1's are supposed to be good too.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by raider187
I just designed a flash based website for this guy, and he gave me a set of 2000 18x9 Cobra R rims for the job. These are the aftermarket rims with a 24mm offset.

I was wondering... What is the largest or best width to put on this size of a rim. I would like to go with 285/35x18 in the rear, and 265/35x18 in the front. Tirebrand? I was thinking about the Nittos, the seem to be a pretty good tire for the money. Any thoughts on best bang for the buck tires?

Thanks!

Rick

I would think you would do better to put the same size on all four wheels so that you could rotate front to back if you needed to.

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
I was thinking about that... The 00 cobra R has 265x18 on all fours. I want most traction that I can get from a street tire. The cost savings is not as important to me. I'm only driving my car 3k-4k per year. I know the suspension plays a key role in traction, but I was told that larger tires do help. I don't want to overkill this, I was looking for proven methods.

RICK

GTJim

Established Member
I put the Nitto555 275-35-18's all the way around and it handles great. I thought it would be a little fat for the front, but it sits about even with the wheel well. I'm lowering the car this weekend, so we'll see if the front will rub or not.

dmark101

dmark101
Established Member
i just ordered some 2000 cobra R wheels this afternoon. i should have them by tomorrow. :)

since the place that was selling them offered kumho ecsta supra 712's installed as an option, i went ahead and got some in 275/35/18. i have these tires already on my other car in 235/45/17 and they are pretty good. we'll see how they are on the cobra! :)

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
GtJim... I would like to know how the 275s work for all four wheels. That would be pretty nice it they fit "flush" or close to it.

This weekend I'm putting on my "dense charger" I received for a x-mas present. I should be getting my Steeda Triax soon, would like to do that this weekend too. Ater that's done, it's time to buy the Tires. Are your wheels the 18x9 or 18x9.5?

GTJim

Established Member
My wheels are 18x9 Cobra R replicas on which the 275's fit perfectly. The rear tires fit snug in the wells but not "flush". You could get some 1" spacers from Maximum Motorsports and they would be close to flush, but you would have to roll the fenders if you lowered the car any.

The fronts almost exactly flush. No rubbing, but like i said, I'll be installing shocks/springs this weekend which will lower the car about 1.5" or so, and I see if they rub afterwards.

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
GtJim My bad... I didn't mean"flush" per say... I just don't want the ricer look. If my wheels stick out past my wheel wells, (a little is OK) my buds will dog me out.

FriedRice

Established Member
I got some of those Kumhos in 275 on the stock 17x8's and they suck donky balls. No launch at all just spins. on a side note a also used the H&R 1 3/4 wheel spacers with that combo and it looks pretty cherry. The car is also lowered with the H&R race springs with no rubbing. Not that it matters any more. See post No more cobra for Dave.:bash: :bash: :bash:

dmark101

dmark101
Established Member
sorry to hear about your cobra dave. i saw the post that you made and the other one on the probe board.

i beg to differ on the kumhos though. i use them on my pgt with much success. i think the spinning you speak of is attributed more to your launching than anything else. i autocross with these tires and they perform very well.

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
That's a good question... I think they're around 30 pounds each, but can't be for sure. They're Chrome, so they will weigh more than the painted versions... Let me see If I can find out.

You know of any "Light Chrome Rims"? 18x9 less that 25 pounds?

Rick

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
You still putting on the 275 in the rear too? I also found out that most wheel vendors do not reccomend putting anything lager than 18x9.5 rim and 275x35x18 tires on any 99+ Cobra...

The Saleen and Roush upgrades are using 295s on the rear... I guess it's another sacrafice you have to make when you have the IRS... I'm ok with it :D

Rick

dmark101

dmark101
Established Member
yup.

all 4 wheels have 275/35zr18 tires. i don't really need them that much larger in the back, even though they look nice.

the wheels themselves are beautiful. i had them shipped to my work and everyone here loves 'em. they can't believe what i paid for them. :D

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
I'm putting 275s on mine too... Glad to hear that your happy with the setup... Make me feel better when I buy my tires.

Thanks!

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
I have a set of the 2000 Cobra R's (Ford 18x9.5 Chrome) and I have to agree that you have to put 265's or 275's on them to fill to the outside lip of the rim. I wanted to run 245's on the front, but the wheel was too wide. The sidewall wasn't touching the lip of the wheel. I had to put 275's on them and I probably could have gone wider in the rear. I had no idea that they would demand that much rubber.

William

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
A few guys that work with me, stressed the importance of having a good traction, and having a good quanity of contact area on the road. This is probably one of "my" most important upgrades.

It's great to get feedback from fellow owners!

:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread