What size tires can I use on 18x9 cobraR

TcM-668

I weighed my '00 Cobra R rims the other day, and they were 31 lbs a piece...That helped make my final decision so I ordered a set of Steeda Ultra-Lites in 18x9 for my '00 R.

I have 2 sets of the '00 R rims, one set with original BFG Comp T/A KD in 265x40x18, and one set from FRPP with BFG Comp T/A KDW in 265x40x18. The KDW tires actually seem to hook a little better than the KD tires that shipped on the car...

I am putting BFG Comp T/A R1As on the Steeda Ultra-Lites...The R1As are 265x35x18. I plan on getting a couple sets of those for auto crossing/track use...

BFG Comp T/A KD 265x40x18 Treadwear 100
BFG Comp T/A KDW 265x40x18 Treadwear 300
BFG Comp T/A R1A 265x35x18 Treadwear 0

Pretty scary, I seem to remember that Jello had a treadwear rating equivalent to 15 or so, so the R1As worse than jello ... heheheheh

Don.
'00 R # 152
'93 GT Conv
'93 LX Coupe
'92 Honda Accord Wagon
'89 Isuzu Imark Hatch SunSport

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
You know, I remember when I received my 2000 R's and I couldn't believe how heavy they were. I figured, an 18" wheel that is also wide should be a little heavy. I can't say that I have noticed a difference while driving. I didn't think to look into the Ultra Lights. I imagine they are nice.

William

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
My Cobra R's weighed in at 31 lbs also.... I put Michelin Pilot Sports on... I received a really good deal on them... 275/35/18

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
I still can't get over the weight on the R's... They're not that bad, but I was hoping to have light rims. I thinking about the Steeda's now... :D

-Rick

TcM-668

The Steeda Ultra-Lites in 18x9 are supposed to weigh in at 18 lbs for the satin finsh...chrome would be a bit more, I suppose...

That is why I went with the Steeda's for my race wheels.

They were about the same price as the '00 R wheels from my local SVT dealer, and could not get much better price on the '00 R rims on the WEB, so I figured I would try the Steedas and see if the weight difference would be worth it...

Just my $ .02 worth...

Don.
'00 R # 152
'93 GT Conv
'93 LX Coupe
'92 Honda Accord Wagon
'89 Isuzu Imark Hatch SunSport

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
I thought that the Cobra R would have lighter wheels. Weight is always a concern with a speed vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I think the wheels are great looking. I like the way it makes my Cobra look. I wonder has anyone noticed a difference in weight of a heavy wheel as opposed to a lighter one.

William

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Well considering the Steeda ultra light wheels are about 10 pounds less than the 00R wheels, that is 40 less pounds of rotational weight. Anytime you can lose rotational weight you are helping the acceleration and deceleration of the car. To what extent I can't say.
Example: Consider having a carbon driveshaft and aluminum flywheel on your car. The engine will rev easier due to having less rotating weight to turn. To the tune of about 20 pounds. It will accelerate a little quicker. This is a better bonus for road racing though. However, it is still much easier for the engine to turn a 22 pound wheel versus a 31 pound wheel.
Another good example is drag racers that use Weld wheels. They are lighter and easier to turn. The front wheels are also much skinnier. This reduces rolling resistance along with being much lighter.
Granted these are both rudimentary examples, but they do illustrate how a lighter wheel can help some.

roushcobra

Established Member
My silver (painted) 00 Cobra Rs weighed 24 lbs each... could the chrome plating weigh 7 lbs per wheel? These are my autocross rims so I didn't spend the extra for chrome.

I have 275-40-18 BFG R1s (Tirerack had them on special for $99 each) on them and they don't rub with the Eibach ProKits on the front.

I have 295s (street tires) on the back with my Roush rims, will try for 315s when these wear out.

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
Roushcobra, You can get away with a larger tires size because you don't have IRS. I don't believe the chroming would add that much weight. Our rims were probably made by different manufacturers?

I really dig their looks, Steedas look just as good and lighter, can't go wrong there... IMHO

dmark101

dmark101
Established Member
you know, i had thought about the weight issue when i was thinking of buying the R wheels. i did weigh mine after i got them and the weight was around ~50 lbs with the wheels mounted and inflated. it was a bit more than stock, but i was willing to sacrifice a little weight for some added traction.

i installed the wheels last wednesday and had the car aligned on friday. it made a HUGE difference when i was at the SVTOA event held at Cal Speedway. of course, the biggest adjustment was to the nut behind the wheel. ;)

the steeda's look fine. i thought about them, but after i saw a couple of R's at my club's meet, i was hooked. i had to get a set and i also bought them from GEF. they had the BEST prices anywhere for the genuine article.

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
I can't wait to try out my new tires... I have been practicing launches with the old ones :D

My friends and I rented Milan Dragway in April for three hours. 20 of us will have the entire track!!! I will be racing my 01 for the first time. The 275s will help my time...

I'm so geeked, less than one month out!!! :burnout:

-Rick

hantzis

Established Member
Hi all. I just ordered a set of 18X9.5 FORD Cobra R rims. I drive a 97 mustang cobra and am now worried that the front rims will stick out past the wheel wells. What do you guys think? I'm going with 275/35/18s in rear and 255/35/18s up front. Will the rims bulge out up front making them look ridiculous? I know for you 99+ guys, it isnt' an issue, but I don't have those nice wheel well flares you guys do.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread