What socket do I need for doing brakes?

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Rears are just a 13mm and 15mm then you need the piston tool to screw them in, fronts just depend on if it is brembo or regular. Don't believe there is a torx needed.

Riptide

Established Member
Ford makes you have a special tool to do brakes? lol

Where can you get this thing?

cobraboss

Established Member
Just about any parts store. I got mine at Advance Auto. Lisle makes them.

99arboC

Established Member
Caliper spreader?

If you are changing the rear you need the brake caliper tool that will rotate the piston back into position. Do not try to use a c clamp or just push it back in it has to rotate.

01GTB

Established Member

cheeser

Established Member
Do you simply turn close club clockwise to turn the piston while using the left or right tool from the kit? I purchased the freight harbor kit as well.

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
Special tool??
Weird, I've had my rear brakes apart multiple times and never needed any special tools.

01GTB

Established Member
Have you ever put pads on it? Simply pulling the caliper doesn't require a special tool. It's when the piston needs to be pushed in that you need it. The piston needs to be turned as it's pressed in due to the parking brake.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
The rear caliper tool is nothing new, Ford has been using the Varga calipers on the rear of Mustangs since at least 1994. I think it is the Ford Five Hundred where the rear caliper pistons turn in to the left.

evanjp

Established Member
I used a block tool from Napa. I just did my rear brakes two days ago. You really had to get your body into it- rotating the piston clockwise while pushing it in. I had to go get the tool after I got my first rotor off. Luckily I had a car to drive to get it with. It worked though but frusterating.

I used a 3/8 drive ratchet with an extension and the block tool on the right pattern. There's 6 different patterns on the thing and the one with two circle knobs the farthest apart was the one that worked. It was easy to lose grip while pushing in and rotating but it worked out good enough.

Last edited:

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Have you ever put pads on it? Simply pulling the caliper doesn't require a special tool. It's when the piston needs to be pushed in that you need it. The piston needs to be turned as it's pressed in due to the parking brake.

Not on this car. I've been doing my own brakes since highschool though.

Users who are viewing this thread