What the f**k is wrong with my car!!!!!

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Can anybody tell me what the problem is? I installed a 4 pound lower and 2.93 upper pulley, on my 04 cobra. No MAF, no BAP, and I have a diablosport delta flip chip. two custom settings(mail order tune). I have not dynoed the car yet to check for proper A:F ratio and so on. I get this VERY noticeable hesitation, not just slight that some of you guys are experiencing. From 2nd to 3rd, and sometimes 3rd to4th, the power is good to about 4,000 or so, then it feels like I hit the fuel cut-off, and power stops(kind of like having the traction control button on accidentally, when trying to floor it.) Even blower whine comes to a silent halt for a couple seconds, then it kicks in again. I'm thinking its the tune, from reading similar posts. Maybe I'll throw away my diablo flip chip and get an SCT hand held unit and take it to someone that knows what they are doing, and have them dyno it. Does anybody know any good tuners in the Michigan area?

Last edited:
Most likely it is the tune...I would get a handheld and datalog some of your paramiters....That will give you a real good starting point on how much more you will need to buy to get the beast stable....My guess is you are maxing out the MAFS!!!! A MAFia solved my problems!

JMD0346

Established Member
It may be the tune. I can tell you this though. I would say with 99.9% confidence that you are running out of MAF and fuel above 4000. Your car hates you. Do you have any exhaust mods? You need a BAP and MAFia.

YellowCobra28

Established Member
I have no exhaust mods, all stock, but I am thinking about a catback very soon. I agree with you on the MAF, maybe I am close to pegging it, so I will be ordering a mafia within the next week. But the BAP?? I thought I'd have to run more than 500 rwhp to use that. My eaton is not ported, and I have no plans of doing that to my cobra. I am thinking about ZEX all the time. My car will love me, ZEX will be good for her. She needs some healing. :pepper:

Last edited:

JMD0346

Established Member
Well you may be ok on the BAP. If you do go with an exhaust system I would datalog the pumps just to be sure. I think you will need it. Also IMO you are looking at this way wrong. Putting a 2.93 and 4lb. on a unported blower is not smart. It just builds too much heat. If you really want to take care of your car get the blower ported or take off the lower. I wouldnt think of shooting N20 to it with out the fuel mods.

YellowCobra28

Established Member
When my clutch goes, which should be real soon, I will do the LDC cooling mod, and upgrade to a heat exchanger. I'm not too worried about my car overheating right now. I don't race all the time, just the odd punk corvette that wants to race me at a light. I was told with the Zex wet kit, that I would be fine, I don't need to worry about anything else. If its tuned properly before the NOS, then I'm okay. I think too that the spray has a natural cooling effect on the system. I'm just not into porting, I guess its like marriage, its not for everyone. :rockon:

xchief1320

Established Member
I'm with the others and say it's the tune causing the MAF to peg. It's seeing load alot faster with the new boost which in turn can cause the Maf to max out alot sooner.

With a proper tune the stock MAf should be o.k. with the HP levels you are at now. I have tuned a few stock blower with smaller pulley 03/04's that made close to 500 RWHP and the Maf didn't come close to pegging. It's all in the tune..

Paul at PHP in Michigan is real good with the 03/04's..

Steve

YellowCobra28

Established Member
And the saga continues..... Today I was in 2nd gear approaching 3000rpms, and wham bam, the car felt like it hit the fuel cut off, and actually felt like the car braked on me. The battery died out as I was driving. The tripmeter blanked out on me, showed this --------- (dashes) right across the tripmeter screen. I pulled off to the side, and restarted the car no problem. This all started after installing the pulley mods and the diablochip(mail order) programs. Has anybody had these problems? Maybe I will do the boost by pass, perhaps the tuner forgot to disable it. :shrug:

JMD0346

Established Member
I had the exact same thing happen. Are you getting any trouble codes? Have you messed with your Throttle position sensor? Thats what my problem was. I re-installed the TPS incorrectly. My car did what you are describing. Dashes on the odo. Wouldnt start untill I reset the PCM. I installed it correctly and havent had a problem.

YellowCobra28

Established Member
I had a mechanic put in the lower pulley. Not sure if he tampered with the TPS. How would I know if he did tamper with it? I'll give her a look see though and maybe I can spot something out of the ordinary. If I take the car to Fords, they will charge me, because my warranty is void after doing the pulley change. Actually my warranty was void from the time I put on the K&N filter charger kit, no joke. They are really hardcore here in Canada.

Last edited:

YellowCobra28

Established Member
I did a search on TPS, and now I know what to do. I'm going to get me a voltmeter first. Turn the key, but I shouldn't start the car. Then I'll check to see if I'm at 0.99v DC current right? If not, I have to loosen the screws and turn clockwise or counterclock wise a bit, to get it where I want. I hope that this is the problem, because I really don't want to pull the chip out to re tune it. Not that its difficult to do, but its a bitch. Then I have to mail the chip out and wait for it to come back, and install the bitch again, crossing my fingers and hopeing that the tune is good this time. I wish I had a SCT xcal2 though, I got a get er dun soon eh? :beer: Canadian beer, oh yeah real alcohol eh?. :wf:

Last edited:

wangdoodle1740

Established Member
Just sell the chip and get a predator handheld tuner. I've had great luck with mine. When you want a custom tune, just call and tell them your mods, and they e-mail it to you. Most of them we have recieved and then ran on a dyno were perfect. A few required a little adjustment but only because it was tuned rather conservative. Thats just my opinion though... :beer:

tv's 03

Established Member
YellowCobra28 said:
And the saga continues..... Today I was in 2nd gear approaching 3000rpms, and wham bam, the car felt like it hit the fuel cut off, and actually felt like the car braked on me. The battery died out as I was driving. The tripmeter blanked out on me, showed this --------- (dashes) right across the tripmeter screen. I pulled off to the side, and restarted the car no problem. This all started after installing the pulley mods and the diablochip(mail order) programs. Has anybody had these problems? Maybe I will do the boost by pass, perhaps the tuner forgot to disable it. :shrug:

Pull the negative battery cable off, then pull the chip and clean the contacts and reinstall

Report back in the morning

YellowCobra28

Established Member
I had a mechanic today check the TPS voltage and he wasn't sure what I was talking about when I said the voltage should be at .99 He starting probing the connector wires and came up with 4.8V and also zero volts. He did the middle and bottom wire, and wasn't sure what was bottom either. I could go to Fords, but they are *ssholes. They want to charge me $100 just to diagnose it. They said if its due to an aftermarket part they will charge me. Of course its due to an aftermarket part. I'd rather take my car to someone with no clue, honestly.

Last edited:

YellowCobra28

Established Member
As far as taking the chip out and re-installing it, that will never happen. If I take that chip out, its staying out, and I'm going with a predator hand held and have James at RWTD do the custom tunes. Screw that.

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Well guys after a few weeks of driving on the same setup, the problem has gone away on its own. No hesitation when driving, the battery doesn't die on me after 3000rpms, everything is great. Maybe it takes a a couple of weeks for the car to get used to the tune. Whatever it was, I'm glad I didn't fork up unnecessary dollars like a MAF, BAP and a tuner/tune. Some people on here work with vendors, and try to get you to buy things that you don't need. I have a buddy making close to 600RWHP with nitrous, and he has stock everything, except for a BAP. Everything else is stock, and his tune is set so the MAF does not peg. The injectors are working hard but are fine for the occasional road/weekend race. Most people on here would disagree, then again, they probably have some kind of affiliation with a vendor or possibly the vendor trying to make a quick buck off of mustang drivers. Sift through the bullsh*t on here as best as you can, and buy what is necessary for your car. Unless of course your rich, and your planning to swap out everything anyways. Thats my 2 canuck cents, cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread