What tires to run for 2014 GT500

Damingus

Established Member
Hey guys. Somewhat new here. Just picked up a 2014 GT500 and looking to replace the tires. What are you guys running? Toyo, Nitto, MT’s? I want something to hook in the back but not looking to break the bank either. I need front and back?
I was thinking r888r’s..but all around? Thanks!

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Hey guys. Somewhat new here. Just picked up a 2014 GT500 and looking to replace the tires. What are you guys running? Toyo, Nitto, MT’s? I want something to hook in the back but not looking to break the bank either. I need front and back?
Michelin Pilot Super Sports up front, Mickey Thompson ET streets for the back if you're keeping stock Wheels.

Michelins all around for DD.

Tezz500

Established Member
Damingus, I actually have a set of Mickey Thompson ET Street SS tires I bought for my 2013 which I am selling. I was debating tossing them on my 2020 Shelby... But I think im going to get a different set of wheels for a Drag set up. PM me if your interested. I might be looking to sell them. Brand new, Never mounted.

305/35R20s.

Damingus

Established Member
The 888 will give you all the traction you need for the rear within reasonable temps, above mid 50’s even in stock OEM wheel size.
Run whatever in front unless you’re into corner carving . If you’re heavy into twisties, put them on front too.
I want to be able to have traction in both situations. That’s why I’m not sure of the DR’s in the rear. Are the side walls stiff enough? I mean, it’s not like I’ll be running it at WG or anything. Probably more straight line traction than anything. Those Toyos are sweet but the price kills me.

Tezz500

Established Member
Oh snap, I didn’t even know a 305 would fit on the factory 9.5 rims. Is it because Mickey runs smaller?

They fit like a glove.

Image1676895600.412185.jpg

Damingus

Established Member
Damingus, I actually have a set of Mickey Thompson ET Street SS tires I bought for my 2013 which I am selling. I was debating tossing them on my 2020 Shelby... But I think im going to get a different set of wheels for a Drag set up. PM me if your interested. I might be looking to sell them. Brand new, Never mounted.

305/35R20s.

Honestly not sure if it’s because I’m new and can’t PM. Or I’m just not that smart…lol. Can you PM a price and location? I’m just outside of Cleveland. Thanks!

Tezz500

Established Member
I want to be able to have traction in both situations. That’s why I’m not sure of the DR’s in the rear. Are the side walls stiff enough? I mean, it’s not like I’ll be running it at WG or anything. Probably more straight line traction than anything. Those Toyos are sweet but the price kills me.
I ran them on my white 14 for years. Road Tripped out to Kansas, 2400mile round trip, Drenched for the entire state of Ohio and never dropped her below 80. blew my mind. phenomenal performance in the rain as long as they have tread.

Damingus

Established Member
I ran them on my white 14 for years. Road Tripped out to Kansas, 2400mile round trip, Drenched for the entire state of Ohio and never dropped her below 80. blew my mind. phenomenal performance in the rain as long as they have tread.
The Toyos?

OX1

Established Member

The Nitto DR's are a little more compromise between traction and handling. Less traction than MT's, but better handling.

GTMAN212

Established Member
Oh snap, I didn’t even know a 305 would fit on the factory 9.5 rims. Is it because Mickey runs smaller?
Go by the tire manufacture a 305 is not recommended on a 9.5. Mickey Thompsons website even states a minimum of a 10in with a 305 but suggested is 11in.

Damingus

Established Member
Go by the tire manufacture a 305 is not recommended on a 9.5. Mickey Thompsons website even states a minimum of a 10in with a 305 but suggested is 11in.
True. But going with a Nitto is ok. They run small....

GTMAN212

Established Member
I am running 2853520s on my factory 14 wheels out back with Toyo R888r tire and they are a little noisy but the traction is great.

Damingus

Established Member
Only go with what Nitto says to use. I know people will make them fit but its not recommended. Right on Nitto's website say minimum 10.5-11.5 for a 305.
Understood. But a ton of people have been running them with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread