What to do before an alignment

Weslsew

Established Member
Somehow my front end got out of alignment as my driver tire wore hard on the outside. I'm going to upgrade to mm urethane or solid steering rack bushings. Is there anything else I should replace or upgrade before going in for an alignment? Car is lowered about 1.5-2" and has steeda cc plates.

Also, are there any recommended or ideal alignment settings for the cobra?

4601S/C

Established Member
If they're original, I would consider struts/shocks, but that would be a big jump in total cost. Bilstein can rebuild your current ones, or you can upgrade.

Weslsew

Established Member
Looked into the bump steer kit, getting that set up sounds quite complicated and time consuming. I doubt any shops around me would even know what a bump steer kit is, so I'll study up on that and tackle it next time. The car has no issues with bump steer that I can notice so I'm happy with it for now. Stock struts are still in good shape. Thanks for the tips!

94slowbra1

Established Member
They help bring everything back into spec on lowered cars. Go to steedas website, they have a good explanation of how they work

04TorchedSVT

Established Member
H&R Race Springs, all ISO's in place, MM CC Plates, MM rack bushings, MOOG outer tie rods, as well as MM diff bushings. Eventually I would like to do there bump steer kit, and the Steeda ball joints.

Since I'm going to be replacing steering components I'm thinking about going ahead and doing steeda ball joints and tie rod ends but I'm unsure of an alignment shop that could align the bumpsteer kit properly.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Since I'm going to be replacing steering components I'm thinking about going ahead and doing steeda ball joints and tie rod ends but I'm unsure of an alignment shop that could align the bumpsteer kit properly.

That is the reason I didn't buy the bump steer kit as well. I may in the future if I ask around and a shop can. A friend of mine just ordered the bump steer kit so I'll be curious to see who does his alignment.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you're not having bumpsteer problems now I wouldn't bother with it. It takes time to set it up correctly. I have a kit waiting to go on and I'm debating about installing it. Since you have the MM plates I'd double check the torque on the nuts after the shop is done. I had one place align my car and when I got home over half of the nuts were only finger tight.

Jkay98

Established Member
The bump steer kit is basically an upgraded tie rod link. The adjust-ability of the bump steer comes into play with the spacers moving the tie rod up and down.
I would think most manufacturers have a neutral setting which would equate to a stock setting. That way if you dont want/know how to adjust the bump steer you can leave it neutral and still get your car aligned.
I installed the FTBR deluxe bumpsteer kit but have yet to get my car aligned. I am thinking about getting the steering rack bushings before I get it aligned.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member

Weslsew

Established Member
The reason I skipped the bumpsteer kit was that it looked too complicated to set up, and I don't know of anyone that could help me. And as far as I know, I don't have any issue with bumpsteer.

As to the x2 balljoints, It looks like those lower the car because they push the lca down from the spindle? Or am I looking at it wrong? My front height is perfect and I don't want to mess with it right now

01yellercobra

Established Member
The reason I skipped the bumpsteer kit was that it looked too complicated to set up, and I don't know of anyone that could help me. And as far as I know, I don't have any issue with bumpsteer.

As to the x2 balljoints, It looks like those lower the car because they push the lca down from the spindle? Or am I looking at it wrong? My front height is perfect and I don't want to mess with it right now

They should come with spacers to make up the difference.

04TorchedSVT

Established Member

They do lower the car down and you have to install aluminum spring spacers that come with them to keep the current height. Which I would not want a spacer on top of my spring. Also from what I have read you really need the bumpsteer kit after installing those because it causes excessive bump steer.

Users who are viewing this thread