What to do next - misfire won't go

Coiled03

Established Member
Any advice for how to track down a vacuum leak, mechanics stethoscope, other?

Get some carburetor cleaner and spray it around all the vacuum lines while the engine idles. Listen to the idle carefully. If it jumps up when you spray the carb cleaner. Look at where you sprayed it because that's probably where your leak is.

hmwave

Established Member
Get some carburetor cleaner and spray it around all the vacuum lines while the engine idles. Listen to the idle carefully. If it jumps up when you spray the carb cleaner. Look at where you sprayed it because that's probably where your leak is.

Thanks, I'll try that. The EGR leak code keeps posting more frequently now so looks like I have an EGR loop problem.

Thanks, I'll try that. The EGR leak code keeps posting more frequently now so looks like I have an EGR loop problem.

You never had your COPS tested at Ford to make sure they worked properly? I just recently had a misfire and had a bad coil. They can identify a coil issue with in minutes by plugging into your car. And all this time you never had a tuner take a look at the car with some datalogging? C'mon man. It just sounds like you gave up over all this time. :shrug:

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
Those gremlins do a great job of hiding, had a similar problem recently, bought a third car 99 Camaro 3.8 auto with 39k on it, looks new. Around 42k it started to misfire real bad, ran the OBD and it came up #3 misfire, had the coil pack checked, it was faulty replaced it with an aftermarket from Advanced. Car ran fine for a day or 2 , it starts misfiring again do the OBD and sure enough it's #3 have the new coil pack checked , well it's bad , this time I replace it with an AC Delco part, car runs great for a couple more days. Starts misfiring again, run the OBD for the 3 time still shows #3 misfire, this time I'm thinking WTF. Slightly aggravated I replace all the plugs , wires , fuel filter, fuel cap and remove all injectors have them cleaned and tested , put it all back together and the car runs great for a day or 2, well you guessed it, starts misfiring #3 again, at this point I breakdown and bring it to the dealer, well as luck would have it the wire going to #3 came loose and caused the #3 misfire ,

Moral of the story the General sucks
sorry
more then likely it’s a very simple fix, good luck finding it

hmwave

Established Member
You never had your COPS tested at Ford to make sure they worked properly? I just recently had a misfire and had a bad coil. They can identify a coil issue with in minutes by plugging into your car. And all this time you never had a tuner take a look at the car with some datalogging? C'mon man. It just sounds like you gave up over all this time. :shrug:

Two different dealers put the car on their analyzer and neither showed anything wrong. I replaced all the COPS a year ago, no difference.

The car hasn't been driven daily for the last year and my job has kept me away so your 'given up' assumption was misinformed.
The original problem was an annoying intermittent misfire so not an urgent fix. Now the problem has gotten a lot worse thus my new posts.

The only 'given up' is no longer throwing money at people who evidently don't have the knowledge to track down the root cause. When I find a local tuner that comes highly recommended and has experience with these kinds of problems I'll visit them.

Thanks for playing.

Two different dealers put the car on their analyzer and neither showed anything wrong. I replaced all the COPS a year ago, no difference.

The car hasn't been driven daily for the last year and my job has kept me away so your 'given up' assumption was misinformed.
The original problem was an annoying intermittent misfire so not an urgent fix. Now the problem has gotten a lot worse thus my new posts.

The only 'given up' is no longer throwing money at people who evidently don't have the knowledge to track down the root cause. When I find a local tuner that comes highly recommended and has experience with these kinds of problems I'll visit them.

Thanks for playing.

Great. I'm sure we can count on you to update this thread in 2010 with the same issue. Good luck. At your current pace you should have this fixed by the middle of the next decade. :-D

hmwave

Established Member
Great. I'm sure we can count on you to update this thread in 2010 with the same issue. Good luck. At your current pace you should have this fixed by the middle of the next decade. :-D

What is your problem? Go light some fireworks or something, blow off some steam.

Try reading the thread again, get the facts.

hmwave

Established Member
2.8 pulley
NGK Iridiums
34thou

This week I finally found time to fit the new 60# injectors and the BA2400 MAF I've had sitting in its box for the last two years.

I carefully followed the instructions for the injector R&R and they are in with no leaks. I was very careful to clean the injector seats, lightly oil the o-rings and gently press them fully home. Every injector adaptor positively clicked at both ends when fitting them. All the electrical connectors and hoses are refitted in their correct locations.
The BA2400 MAF is also fitted, oriented at approx 10pm looking from the front of the car. I used my Predator to successfully install the 60# tune from RWTD.

I just came back from a 10 mile run and its bad news. The misfire is worse than ever and is happening under both no-load and load at different rev ranges, something that was not happening before (it used to be mostly under tip in throttle at 1500rpm'ish).

Tonight I logged the long and short term fuel trims and they are all over the place.
LT 1 and 2 are sometimes 0% with ST 1 and 2 jumping from +14 to -7 quite randomly.
Then later LT 1 and 2 show as 10% and 7%, again with the ST's jumping all over.
This started tonight with the new MAF, injectors, and tune.

I have an LM-1 with a fairly new sensor on the drivers pipe (was reading exactly 14.7 and 11.8 WOT as expected before I did the recent work) and it's showing the AFR jumping around from 14 to 15.5 under idle.
And when I come off the throttle at speed after medium acceleration the AFR jumps to 60 (sixty) and above for a few seconds.
Both front O2's are less than a year old and are stock Ford.

I really thought I had a bad injector or MAF but seems not (unless these new parts are somehow faulty).

I'll try the carb cleaner idea this weekend to see if that turns up a leak somewhere.

However, now that I eliminated the injectors and the MAF the next step is to get the car to a local Mustang shop and spend what's needed to track this down and eliminate it.

Om3ga47

PIIHB
Established Member
What ever happened with this,I have been having the same problem for months on a daily. Just tossed in new TR6's at 32thou. Did not help. I datalogged the car while idling,everything seems normal,nothing out of place. I really need help as much as everyone else,let me know your status man.

hmwave

Established Member
Family stuff and work abroad means I've had very little time to do much on this. I drove the car for a distance the first time in nearly three months today and as expected the misfire is still there but not as noticeable.
The air is much colder here now so that may be a factor.

I was datalogging before and RWTD was helping me with tweaked tunes to track down the issue. I can now get back to that to continue the search.

I'm thinking this is more a tune problem than anything mechanical but the intermittency suggests otherwise.

supercharger gasket leak??
have you checked that?

Fastcat

Has anyone ever had computer failures on these cars?????

i work on a bunch but more are having this very similar problem. Could the ECM's
getting old enough to be breaking down.

happens alot with Sn and Fox cars. Just such a pain with havin to have the computer
flashed by the dealer for the PATS and such to work???

Just curouis(sp)

timn50302

Established Member
I had a problem like this it ended up being a piece of lint in my mass air it was so small you couldnt even see it!!!! stuck between the two elements

Users who are viewing this thread