what to do

• 302/306

Votes: 3 25.0%

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blownfox

Established Member
I need to rebuild my shortblock 302/306 or should I put a 347 in it? I will be using a stock block and here is my current mod list: s-trim w/power pipe, trick flow top end kit, LT, h-pipe, upgraded fuel injectors and fuel pump.

I know I can make 450 rwhp with either setup but is it worth the extra money for the 347 stroker kit? This car is driven a lot so it will need to be streetable.

blownfox

Established Member
so you saying more cubic inches and less boost.

I did not add a 331 poll because it has less CI than a 347. Less CI = less power. However I can still make the same HP with 302 as a 347 but I will need more boost with the 302. I am asking I do not know which would be better for the streets. More CI's and less boost or less CI's and boost.

Do you think a 331 is a better choice than the 347?

Thanks

4valvemach

Established Member
I would go with the 331ci and keep that same boost level why run less boost to make 302ci power.Its a middle ground motor its not a stock 302 and not a 347.

A short block can be had for around $1500.00.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
331= power
347= torque

A 331 can actually out power a 347 because of the RPM potential.
But the 347 can be really satisfying in a street car. It depends on what you want. If your car is light, a 331 and a Centrifical will give you a top end charge like you won't believe.. But how many times can you safely enjoy that on the street?

blownfox

Established Member
I called Coast High Performance about a 331 and it was 2100 for the shortblock. Thats not bad is it? I'm guessing about another 1000 for cam, oil system, hardware, and timing set. How much power do you guys think I will make on 9 lbs of boost...450rwhp is my goal and currently at 370 rwhp.

I hope is will a while on the streets. It might see the track once.

4valvemach

Established Member
You should make 450hp and more with tuning :beer:

Muscle mustangs did a supercharged 331 build and it made 473hp at 5500rpm and 475tq at 4700rpm with 10 pounds of boost.You can also add a main cap girdle for some extra support but for $2100 the short block should come with one LOL.

Last edited:

1bad00

Established Member
I called Coast High Performance about a 331 and it was 2100 for the shortblock. Thats not bad is it? I'm guessing about another 1000 for cam, oil system, hardware, and timing set. How much power do you guys think I will make on 9 lbs of boost...450rwhp is my goal and currently at 370 rwhp.

I hope is will a while on the streets. It might see the track once.

2100 isnt a bad price i think i paid around 1400 for just the 331 rotating assembly back when i had my fox

Pro SNIVELER

Banned
you cant escape the 500hp limit of the stock block, dont even try to fool yourself into thinking anything otherwise. sink $3k into buying/machining a dart/world block THEN another $1k+ for the rotating assembly. just run the 302/blower combo..... oring your heads and buy a smaller pulley. you are only going to break your block with a full bolton stroker and a blower. the block is weak in the front two mains, plus you have a blower belt adding even more tension at the snout. centri's need rpm's, rpm's will break the block because the front two mains chatter and crack it up thru the middle.

check out www.fordstrokers.com deal with woody, he is the owner. they sell DIY kits that come with probe/chp rotating assemblies, and even the machined stock block for 1600iirc. 331/347 will cost exactly the same and the 306 will come out prob $100 cheaper b/c all you wouldve needed to make it a 347 was clearancing. see about a custom cam from jay allen if you go thru this guy, maybe you can get a better deal for buying alot of sh*t? also, having a custom cam made for your combo will only HELP to retain street manors and they generally tend to make more hp in the range YOU want it. there are plenty of N/A 347's that make over 400rwhp on pump gas, sell your blower, port your heads and do it ALL MOTOR!

Last edited:

4valvemach

Established Member
there are plenty of N/A 347's that make over 400rwhp on pump gas, sell your blower, port your heads and do it ALL MOTOR!

All motor small block = ........................
All motor BIG BLOCK = :rockon:
supercharged small block = :rockon:

sell the blower = major fail

Last edited:

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
you cant escape the 500hp limit of the stock block, dont even try to fool yourself into thinking anything otherwise. sink $3k into buying/machining a dart/world block THEN another $1k+ for the rotating assembly. just run the 302/blower combo..... oring your heads and buy a smaller pulley. you are only going to break your block with a full bolton stroker and a blower. the block is weak in the front two mains, plus you have a blower belt adding even more tension at the snout. centri's need rpm's, rpm's will break the block because the front two mains chatter and crack it up thru the middle.

check out FordStrokers.com 331-347-393-408-418-427 stroker kits and ford parts. deal with woody, he is the owner. they sell DIY kits that come with probe/chp rotating assemblies, and even the machined stock block for 1600iirc. 331/347 will cost exactly the same and the 306 will come out prob $100 cheaper b/c all you wouldve needed to make it a 347 was clearancing. see about a custom cam from jay allen if you go thru this guy, maybe you can get a better deal for buying alot of sh*t? also, having a custom cam made for your combo will only HELP to retain street manors and they generally tend to make more hp in the range YOU want it. there are plenty of N/A 347's that make over 400rwhp on pump gas, sell your blower, port your heads and do it ALL MOTOR!

Good advice on the stock block. But if I was to go N/A and drop 3k on a block, I would want more deck height. Enter the new FRPP 351.

+1

You can build a killer all motor Mustang, but you'll never achieve the same powerband (ie: torque) as a blower car. Especially when you consider that both of these engines have stock blocks...you'll only be able to go so far in either. Remember the op said that he wanted it to be streetable and 400-450hp, so yeah, if that's all I needed, I wouldn't sell the blower either.

To the op:

Based on knowing what you want now, I would recommend a 347. That, with your S trim, will give you a nice combo for the street. They both help out with each others deficiencies- The stroker will give you the low end grunt that is missing in Centrificals, and the blower will help the stroker in the upper end. One more thing: Since you are only going after modest numbers, I would keep the C/R up. G/L :beer:

Last edited:

Pro SNIVELER

Banned
my point really is, if hes going to build a STOCK BLOCK 331/347 he wont need the blower. a guy on corral posted his dyno the other day 331, 205cc twisted wedge heads with an OTS comp XE cam, laid down 418/393 to the wheels on pump gas @ 6200. thats about all the fwhp its going to stand with a stock block. it would cost him 1300 for TEA or fox lake to port(206cc) his 170cc TW heads, a comp xe cam can be found used for 150-200. put that on a 347 and the blower only makes it a timebomb without a 100% spot on tune/chip. selling the blower would probably fund a large portion of a shortblock also, or the entire top end with ported heads. imo, its just overkill that wont help with making the motor last.

going with a 351 will give you a stronger block to work with, but the headers, distributor, and intake all have to be swapped. your heads will need to be drilled for the larger head bolts of the 351, but you will have a shortblock good for 800+hp if you put a 4340 kit in it. look for the F4TE casting 351 blocks, they already have the holes in the valley for roller lifters so you can re-use the ones you have. the 69-71 blocks are the strongest, but you need link bar lifters($500+). then you ponder a 408, and that makes everything you own besides the lifters too small to make power. a 347 is also 80lbs lighter than the 351.

[ame="http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1183377"]I made 418rwhp with a XE274HR cam on a pump gas 331 - Corral Forums[/ame]

Fox Lake Power Products, intake manifolds, assembled shortblocks, modular shortblocks, CNC modular heads, P-51 installation, comp cams, crower, ferrea components 1999

he already puts down 370 with the 302 and 9psi. 1-7/8 LT headers, full 3" o/r exhaust dumped, systemax intake, anderson blower cam or custom, and prob 12psi and this car would easily lay down 450+rwhp if his fuel system is up to it.

Last edited:

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
There is no reason to build a 331 over a 347. If you're going to build one do a 347. But I wouldnt use a stock roller block for a blown 347, just too much money at risk if something goes foul.

I'd go with a 302/306 and look into the new Fast as cast heads and a custom cam with your s-trim you'll have a 10 second rig if the rest of the combo is up to par.

Is there meth on the car? What does your exhaust consist of??

blownfox

Established Member
There is no reason to build a 331 over a 347. If you're going to build one do a 347. But I wouldnt use a stock roller block for a blown 347, just too much money at risk if something goes foul.

I'd go with a 302/306 and look into the new Fast as cast heads and a custom cam with your s-trim you'll have a 10 second rig if the rest of the combo is up to par.

Is there meth on the car? What does your exhaust consist of??

Meth is currently not on the car but it will be. As for the exhaust I have BBK LT's, OR H pipe, and bassani CB.

blownfox

Established Member
My end goal is to make 450 rwhp depending on the dyno, if it is mustang dyno less is fine. I currently made 365 rwhp on my 200,000 miles shortblock with a trick flow kit, 5lbs (3.60pulley) of boost. I'm thinking it might be safer to use a 331 for the lower end power. Add in a custom cam, 3.33 pulley, power pipe, meth (just to keep the intel temp down summer get a hot here), and a tune. I should be close to my goal. I am thinking that a 347 might put me too close to splitting the block and I know the 331 will be close but not as close.

I still have sometime to make up my mind. Next month I will start to smoth out the engine bay and repainting it black.

keep the comments coming and thanks for all that replied.

blownfox

Established Member

I priced out a NA 408 but at this point to keep it EFI it would more money then I am able to spend at this point. Next time :rockon:

blownfox

Established Member
Meaty Mac I thought having a lower CR would keep the hp down. I was looking for 9 to 1. Also we only have 91 around here, so I'm hoping the met will help with not going to lean at higher RMP's.

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
Meth is currently not on the car but it will be. As for the exhaust I have BBK LT's, OR H pipe, and bassani CB.

I should of been more specific.

Are the headers 1 5/8 or 1 3/4? Is it a 2.5 or 3" exhaust?

My end goal is to make 450 rwhp depending on the dyno, if it is mustang dyno less is fine. I currently made 365 rwhp on my 200,000 miles shortblock with a trick flow kit, 5lbs (3.60pulley) of boost. I'm thinking it might be safer to use a 331 for the lower end power. Add in a custom cam, 3.33 pulley, power pipe, meth (just to keep the intel temp down summer get a hot here), and a tune. I should be close to my goal. I am thinking that a 347 might put me too close to splitting the block and I know the 331 will be close but not as close.

I still have sometime to make up my mind. Next month I will start to smoth out the engine bay and repainting it black.

keep the comments coming and thanks for all that replied.

Shit if all you want is 450 rwhp, re-ring and bearing the current shortblock, add in a custom cam, meth, pulley it to 12lbs and let the bitch eat. 450 is a breeze.

GMkillr from corral layed down 505 rwhp with a 95 Cobra, the only mods were a custom cam and ported intake with an s-trim. But I think he stepped up to a T-trim later on.

Meaty Mac I thought having a lower CR would keep the hp down. I was looking for 9 to 1. Also we only have 91 around here, so I'm hoping the met will help with not going to lean at higher RMP's.

The Meth will work wonders. What kit are you looking at?

Users who are viewing this thread