• 302/306

Votes: 3 25.0%

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blownfox

Established Member
I should of been more specific.

Are the headers 1 5/8 or 1 3/4? Is it a 2.5 or 3" exhaust?

headers are 1 5/8 and the piping is 2.5

The Meth will work wonders. What kit are you looking at?

snow kit stage 1

I was also told that I should NOT reuse my internals because they had 200,000 miles on them. So when I priced out kits for 306 331 and 347 they were the same price. Once you add one of those kits and the cost of machining the block, balancing the cost is close to $1700 - $1800. I would rather pay CHP or Ford stokers to do the work correctly the 1st time. Also is Jim worth the 12 week compared to CHP racing?

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
I was looking for 9 to 1

That's a good number. With only 91 available, Methanol inj is a good idea lol

As Youngone said, you could just get the SB freshened up with new Bearings and Rings. Will be a hell of alot cheaper. But you'll need more boost to achieve your goals. Depending on your top end, you may need at least 15lbs of boost with the 302. The 347 may only require 10-12lbs. Wouldn't hurt to throw a Stud Girdle on there for a little cheap insurance. Helps to prevent the Main Caps from walking. G/L :beer:

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
snow kit stage 1

I was also told that I should NOT reuse my internals because they had 200,000 miles on them. So when I priced out kits for 306 331 and 347 they were the same price.

OK. I did not know that you had that many miles. Get the 347. 9lbs of boost and you'll be happy as hell.

4valvemach

Established Member
I priced out a NA 408 but at this point to keep it EFI it would more money then I am able to spend at this point. Next time :rockon:

Now a supercharged EFI 408 sounds like a REALLY GOOD IDEA!!!!

Does Vortech make a supercharger for it I went to the vortech site a couple weeks ago but did not find anything.

I like this idea ALOT :read:

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
snow kit stage 1

I was also told that I should NOT reuse my internals because they had 200,000 miles on them. So when I priced out kits for 306 331 and 347 they were the same price. Once you add one of those kits and the cost of machining the block, balancing the cost is close to $1700 - $1800. I would rather pay CHP or Ford stokers to do the work correctly the 1st time. Also is Jim worth the 12 week compared to CHP racing?

Honestly I would have no problem with reusing the internals but if it makes you nervous and you want to drop some coin on new internals then go for the gold, the 347.

Search for Fordstrokers on the Corral and you'll see customer reviews. not only to you get a solid product but great customer service and tech support as well. So yes, I would have no problem waiting the 12 weeks.

Also go poke around on Woody's website, SBFtech.com. The info there is ridiculous.

Pro SNIVELER

Banned
buy a used explorer motor....lower mile, re-ring and bearing. or ask jim to build you one using a mexican block. if you go 331/347 the cam and intake will prob need to go too. what do you have for the cam? tf1? if you build a stroker, use studs top and bottom. a girdle will do nothing to keep the block from breaking, the "chatter" up and down on the front 2 mains after 6-6500+ rpms is going to happen irregardless with a 2bolt block. it will only hold the parts that dont shatter together, maybe making less mess on the track lol. the side load on the snout from the blower belt isnt helping his case either in that dept. the car will run, it will be very fast but how long will it last? imho a stock block stroker with boost isnt a wise investment. these motors have been around for 30 years, its not like he has a magic casting good for more than 500ish hp.

Last edited:

Pro SNIVELER

Banned
just to give you an idea of where you will be. check out the numbers on 10psi with edel heads and a crappy china knockoff intake....

Matt, 90 GT
Forged 347, Ported 6037's, Typhoon Intake. Custom Cam, XSR Stuff. S-trim, 10psi, AFM PP with Mondo Bypass, Meth, Cobra Brakes, 6BTM, FMS 42lb, 255lph-BAP, Tremec 3550, Spec 2+ Clutch, 3.55's, AEM Wideband. Various MM Goodies.

Tweec'd571rwhp 523tq<<<<<< 10lbs

this is better known as a timebomb lol. meth and a spot on tune will be critical to how long your motor stays together. buy a pms III or newer, megasquirt, or tweecer.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
just to give you an idea of where you will be. check out the numbers on 10psi with edel heads and a crappy china knockoff intake....

Matt, 90 GT
Forged 347, Ported 6037's, Typhoon Intake. Custom Cam, XSR Stuff. S-trim, 10psi, AFM PP with Mondo Bypass, Meth, Cobra Brakes, 6BTM, FMS 42lb, 255lph-BAP, Tremec 3550, Spec 2+ Clutch, 3.55's, AEM Wideband. Various MM Goodies.

Tweec'd571rwhp 523tq<<<<<< 10lbs

this is better known as a timebomb lol. meth and a spot on tune will be critical to how long your motor stays together. buy a pms III or newer, megasquirt, or tweecer.

A timebomb for more reasons than just the block. I can't even imagine what the DC is on 42# squirters in order to get 571rwhp. :dw:

If the owner of that GT took the boost down to 6-7 psi he would have the level of power that the op wants. Hardly enough to be considered unreliable on a stock block.

What are 6037's? Is that the actual casting number on the E7's?

Last edited:

blownfox

Established Member
I talked to Woody today and he told me I should have no problems with my shortblock with 450 rwhp as long as the tune is good. I think I will order it later this month from him so I should have it in March. I will also be getting a stage 1 custom cam from him as well. I will only be spinning the it to 6,000 rpms at the most and that should help the block last longer.

Thanks

Pro SNIVELER

Banned
I talked to Woody today and he told me I should have no problems with my shortblock with 450 rwhp as long as the tune is good. I think I will order it later this month from him so I should have it in March. I will also be getting a stage 1 custom cam from him as well. I will only be spinning the it to 6,000 rpms at the most and that should help the block last longer.

Thanks

i think you will end up more than pleased with dealing thru FS's, as you can see on his site everything is done "in house". he is very familiar with many different combo's, and appears to be available for customer service 24/7(lol). you could inquire about going with a mexican block, maybe just to help you sleep at night. if you went that route, id throw 12+psi, 60#ers, and a sufficient pump(maybe a 255w/ an inline?) at it without hesitation. woody could drill/tap the valley for a HR roller setup, so you wouldnt need expensive link bar lifters or a higher strung solid roller setup. mexican blocks have shown to be quite reliable over 600+rwhp, as long as it dont go 8k rpms. the price difference going with a mexican casting is minimal imho for the bit of cushion you end up with vs a stock ford casting. i would check with woody to see if you would notice any help in longevity of the motor going with a 0balance over a 28oz with the blower setup..... less weight on the crank, less stress on the crank. maybe even look for a pre-1974 302 casting, before ford started making them thinner in the webs. is woody getting your cam from jay allen(camshaft innovations)?

Last edited:

Pro SNIVELER

Banned
A timebomb for more reasons than just the block. I can't even imagine what the DC is on 42# squirters in order to get 571rwhp. :dw:

If the owner of that GT took the boost down to 6-7 psi he would have the level of power that the op wants. Hardly enough to be considered unreliable on a stock block.

What are 6037's? Is that the actual casting number on the E7's?

they are edelbrock heads, and ported...... but probably only flow a minimal amount more than the OP's out of the box 170cc tw heads. dont let the smaller TW's fool you, they make power with inline heads alot larger due to their design. their cross section is closer to a 185cc head. a guy on corral ran a set of 170 tw's on a 408 deep into the 10's trapping mid 130's NA and pump gas. i seriously doubt 9psi will be needed with a 9:1 347 to achieve 450rwhp. id start shopping the forums since its becoming winter, for some used 1-3/4+ LT's and some suspension upgrades. minimum 3" collector on the headers/ 3" on the mid pipe. your intake isnt going to make crazy power on a blown 347 either. once you go with more cubes, your 302 parts become bottle necks/restrictions and your 20+ year old chassis takes massive abuse in stock trim.

if i had to guess, id say that car made/makes that power because of the meth inj and not in daily form. it may not be a street car at all, but the numbers are going to be very similar when this gentleman builds his.

Last edited:

blownfox

Established Member
i think you will end up more than pleased with dealing thru FS's, as you can see on his site everything is done "in house". he is very familiar with many different combo's, and appears to be available for customer service 24/7(lol). you could inquire about going with a mexican block, maybe just to help you sleep at night. if you went that route, id throw 12+psi, 60#ers, and a sufficient pump(maybe a 255w/ an inline?) at it without hesitation. woody could drill/tap the valley for a HR roller setup, so you wouldnt need expensive link bar lifters or a higher strung solid roller setup. mexican blocks have shown to be quite reliable over 600+rwhp, as long as it dont go 8k rpms. the price difference going with a mexican casting is minimal imho for the bit of cushion you end up with vs a stock ford casting. i would check with woody to see if you would notice any help in longevity of the motor going with a 0balance over a 28oz with the blower setup..... less weight on the crank, less stress on the crank. maybe even look for a pre-1974 302 casting, before ford started making them thinner in the webs. is woody getting your cam from jay allen(camshaft innovations)?

I talked to Woody about a mexican block but they are very hard for him to get right now, and he said running 450rwhp should be OK on a stock block (As long as the tune is good). I went with the 347 less RPM (probably only 6000) to achieve that power and will help with the life of the block.

Woody has 5 custom cams that I can choose from or a one off custom cam …all come from Jay. I went with his stage one cam and it should be a good match for my set up, also it should drive close to stock.

I am glad I picked fordstrokers, Woody and his wife were great to order from. :beer:

blownfox

Established Member
The said thing is that I do not think I will be able to use the meth inj because i will not make enough boost for it to kick on. The snow stage one kit stated that it would not kick on until 6 psi. Is that a setting I can change? I know my inlet temp should not be too high only making 6 psi, so is this something I should not worry able?

Once again thanks everyone!

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
The said thing is that I do not think I will be able to use the meth inj because i will not make enough boost for it to kick on. The snow stage one kit stated that it would not kick on until 6 psi. Is that a setting I can change? I know my inlet temp should not be too high only making 6 psi, so is this something I should not worry able?

Once again thanks everyone!

if you're not dead set on the Snow kit, look into AIS's trunk mount system. It has a boost activated switch that is adjustable from 1-25 psi.

Users who are viewing this thread