What to expect if I switch to E85???

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Wondering what to expect if I make the switch to E85... I'm toying with the idea. I have been searching around and wanted to verify my findings. I shouldn't have to change much correct... Pulley and new tune? Mods are listed below.

I get about 300 miles a full tank now... I hear you use 30% more fuel so I should be able to get around 200 miles out of a tank?

According to my research I should be good for 700 rwhp with the fuel system and injectors I have...?

Do you guys have test ur fuel Everytime you fill up?

Engine mods
2004 Cobra (616rwhp & 584rwtq) 93octane 18ilbs boost
ENGINE - 2.9L whipple supercharger, Lethal Performance 4V Buget return style system - twin 340lph pumps, 80ilb siemen deka injectors, Reische Performance thermostat, head cooling mod, AFCO dual pass heat exchanger, Ford racing coil set, ACC single blade Throttle body, EGR delete kit, JLT carbon fiber RAI, PA performance Alternator, JBA Shorty headers, SLP loudmouth exhaust, TF intercooler and radiator tanks

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

2004 Cobra (616rwhp & 584rwtq)

ENGINE - 2.9L whipple supercharger, Lethal Performance 4V Buget return style system - twin 340lph pumps, 80ilb injectors, Reische Performance thermostat, head cooling mod, AFCO dual pass heat exchanger, Ford racing coil set, ACC single blade Throttle body, EGR delete kit, JLT carbon fiber RAI, PA performance Alternator, JBA Shorty headers, SLP loudmouth exhaust, TF intercooler and radiator tanks

TRANS - Termec 26 spline, Ford racing Throw-out bearing, Mcleod RXT Clutch Aluminum flywheel, Bearing retainer sleeve, Adj clutch cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster, MGW shifter,

SUSPENSION - Maximum motorsports: K Member, Front control arms, Coil over conversion kit, Caster camber plates, Front and rear bumpsteer kit, Soild steering shaft, oil filter relocation kit, Aluminum Differential mounts, Urethane subframe and rear sway bar bushings, adjustable sway bar links, Aluminum steering rack bushings, Sway bar and bushings endlinks, Rear upper and low control arm bushings, Full Lenght sub frame connectors, Ford racing diff cover and braces, Bilstein shocks, Hawk pads, drilled and slotted rotors, MM Stainless steal brake lines. powder coated calipers

MG0h3

Established Member
Bitches will come out of the wood work when they sense you have liquid gold running through your veins.

Car might run a little stronger too.

Its night and day man, seriously. And I'm barely touching 20psi from 15-16 on 91. Haven't had a single issue myself.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
On my turbo 3v 91 octane, I went from 598 RWHP to 701 RWHP on E85 same boost of 12 psi.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
My 18 psi 93 tune on a 2.3 whipple is 560rwhp. My 22psi E85 tune is 714rwhp.

Expectation on a 2.9 whipple swap turned up on E85 would = pain

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
A full tank of e85 last me less than 200 miles, if memory serves me correct. I always try and fill it back up around the 1/4 mark too so I dont run my pump dry. It depends on how you drive of course too. I can't keep my foot out of the loud pedal so that doesnt help.

Ryan2KRedL

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I have 2 on E85.
One is a VMP at 22#'s making 725rwhp with Lethal budget fuel system + twin 465 pumps + 80# injectors. I get 10mpg.
2nd one is Kennebell 2.6 at 22#'s making 695rwhp with Lethal budget fuel system + twin 465 pumps + 80# injectors. I get 10mpg.
But the extra timing allowed with E85 makes the seat-of-the-pants feeling so much more POWERFUL than on pump gas. You will not be disappointed....except with loss of gas mileage.
But as mentioned above........the ladies will flock to you knowing you have corn in the tank. ;)

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
702whp
690wtq
22psi
2 465s
ID1000s
Vmp TVS
Lethal 1400hp system

On 93 I’m just shy of 600. It’s night and day. I run the 93 octane low boost until the temps warm up and the E tests good.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
You should expect more timing, boost and RWHP.

I average about 14mpg since the switch.. Really not bad at all.

**edit**

For reference, 2.9 whipple 22# -10 feed -8 return, 465s. bunch of supporting mods, cams.... 720~RWHP

94slowbra1

Established Member
more f#$king power, thats what!
i just did the swap. tvs on 21lbs, all supporting mods, fore level 1e with twin 465s and id 1050x. the difference from 93 to e85 is worth whatever hit you take in the fuel mileage dept. my car isnt my daily so i dont care what it gets.
only thing i can see you needing is more injector. maybe, maybe not. take some logs and find out

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
expect to change ur oil a lot more often and they sell small E85 testers cheap. I would test at ur local pump to see what their actually putting in there on occasion.

we get ours from a gas station and fill up 55 gallon drums but we test it first before we do that to make sure its within range before filling up our drum.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
expect to change ur oil a lot more often and they sell small E85 testers cheap. I would test at ur local pump to see what their actually putting in there on occasion.

we get ours from a gas station and fill up 55 gallon drums but we test it first before we do that to make sure its within range before filling up our drum.
Thanks for all the comments.

As my car is now with lethal budget , 80ilb injectors can I expect 700 plus rwHP? With pulley and tune.

If I have to switch fuel system pumps and injectors I will do this next winter. If all I need is a tune and pulley I might try it this year. As far as I know I'm E85 compatible I just can't Max the power out with my set up. Right?

2004 Cobra (616rwhp & 584rwtq)

ENGINE - 2.9L whipple supercharger, Lethal Performance 4V Buget return style system - twin 340lph pumps, 80ilb injectors, Reische Performance thermostat, head cooling mod, AFCO dual pass heat exchanger, Ford racing coil set, ACC single blade Throttle body, EGR delete kit, JLT carbon fiber RAI, PA performance Alternator, JBA Shorty headers, SLP loudmouth exhaust, TF intercooler and radiator tanks

TRANS - Termec 26 spline, Ford racing Throw-out bearing, Mcleod RXT Clutch Aluminum flywheel, Bearing retainer sleeve, Adj clutch cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster, MGW shifter,

SUSPENSION - Maximum motorsports: K Member, Front control arms, Coil over conversion kit, Caster camber plates, Front and rear bumpsteer kit, Soild steering shaft, oil filter relocation kit, Aluminum Differential mounts, Urethane subframe and rear sway bar bushings, adjustable sway bar links, Aluminum steering rack bushings, Sway bar and bushings endlinks, Rear upper and low control arm bushings, Full Lenght sub frame connectors, Ford racing diff cover and braces, Bilstein shocks, Hawk pads, drilled and slotted rotors, MM Stainless steal brake lines. powder coated calipers

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Switching to e85 was one of the best mods I've done.

As far as having to change oil more frequently, if running a good quality synthetic oil you shouldn't have to. I run Amsoil ss 10w30 and change oil once a year. But I only put about 800-1000 miles a year. Hopefully more this year.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I’d expect a huge shit eating grin from ear to ear that will last for a good week then rejuvenate every time you go WOT. Best mod I ever did. As others have said, you’ll gain a good 100hp by switching over and pulleying down and tuning the setup. Oh and expect to maybe pull the blower off to change injectors too, maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Thanks for all the comments.

As my car is now with lethal budget , 80ilb injectors can I expect 700 plus rwHP? With pulley and tune.

If I have to switch fuel system pumps and injectors I will do this next winter. If all I need is a tune and pulley I might try it this year. As far as I know I'm E85 compatible I just can't Max the power out with my set up. Right?

Yes. You'll be over 700 depending on the pulley combo.. I used a 2# lower and 3.25 upper to get over 700

GodStang

Established Member
93 Octane I was in the low 700s with the little 2.8L. Went up to E85 same day same dyno and got near 800rwhp with 80# injectors and still plenty of room to go. Some tuners cant tune 80#s so that may be an issue.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Okay so sounds like pullying down and tune and should be good to go for 700rwhp.

I'm in Chicago land area and Tim Barth is local seems to have a good name.

Anyone else??

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

cj428mach

Established Member
I'd talk to Malcolmv8. He can take care of the remote tune as well as any parts you might need to upgrade.

Intervention302

Established Member
I make 640 on pump with my 2.9 and 770 on E90 Ignite Racing ethanol. It pulls like a damn monster

There arent really any E stations by me, and I rarely run on corn. So the $9-11 a gallon isnt too bad

Gas mileage is terrible. I mean bad. Maybe 8-9mpg? lol

Users who are viewing this thread