What to look for in a used Cobra?

SVT-DADDY

Established Member
Over the next couple months I will be buying an 03-04 Vert. This will be my 3rd Mustang, and 2nd Cobra. This will be a weekend car for me, something for the wife and I to drive to the beach or on local vacations. My last Cobra was a 97 with a Novi 2000, the car was fast and a constant source of frustration.

I need to avoid that this time. My perfect car would have maybe a catback, pulleys,tune, suspension work,low miles, and be super clean.....I need the car to be reliable and fun.

My question is what should I be avoiding, checking, and looking for in these cars.

Thanks for your help in advance....I've been spending a lot of time here over the last couple weeks!

Steve

Emwun Garand

Established Member
Take any candidate for a long test drive. Listen for ticking in the head. Make sure you do a compression and leak down test. There's other stuff to look for listen in that link provided for the Terminator FAQ.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
I posted this elsewhere recently, but it is something to check if you are looking for a 'Vert...

Some things to look for on the convertible. IF the previous owner was a top-down nut (like myself), you want to check around the bottom corners of the back window and look for tears / holes starting. Holes can also start as "pinholes" down lower (further down from the bottom window corners). To check these, put the top up/down about half way and lift the flap area near the back window.

Also, crawl into the back seat and look behind / underneath the headliner "flaps" just behind the side windows. These areas rub when the top is put up/down, and will get a "thin" look to them over time. Also while you are in there, below the back window on the sides there is a "flap" of top on each side that hangs down. Run your fingers over the bottom edge of this "flap" to feel if there are any holes starting / already there. Use a flashlight to get a good look too.

One more thing with the top; with the top up, on the outside, look for areas that have a look to them like someone tried to cut them - a "scratched" look. Where the top gets pinched by the frames as it goes up and down, it will start to have a worn look to it. Mine has a 3" line just above the drivers seat where it gets pinched (or something). It looks like someone took somethign dull and scraped / scratched the top.

IF you do find holes, use them to talk the guy down a Grand or so, for top replacement. Then, if you are cheap like me, get some "Tear Aid" (a clear patch kit) and do your own leak repairs to get you by until you want to spring for a new top. Luckily the holes I described shouldn't be visible, so you can patch them to your heart's content!

Hope this helps you out!

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
To clarify on the top wear on my car...

In the summer time, my top goes up / down about twice a day. It is my daily driver, and I almost never leave the top down while I'm away from the car. I live in Oregon, and even though summers are nice I will NEVER trust an Oregon sky! LOL!

I have also been known to drop the top in the spring / fall any time it is warm enough for the heater to keep me alive, and there is no water falling from the sky :)

So needless to say, my top gets alot of exercise! :banana:

granny03

Established Member
Over the next couple months I will be buying an 03-04 Vert. This will be my 3rd Mustang, and 2nd Cobra. This will be a weekend car for me, something for the wife and I to drive to the beach or on local vacations. My last Cobra was a 97 with a Novi 2000, the car was fast and a constant source of frustration.

I need to avoid that this time. My perfect car would have maybe a catback, pulleys,tune, suspension work,low miles, and be super clean.....I need the car to be reliable and fun.

My question is what should I be avoiding, checking, and looking for in these cars.

Thanks for your help in advance....I've been spending a lot of time here over the last couple weeks!

Steve
weird queestion, but was it you that had your dad contact me about my dsg vert in fl

SVT-DADDY

Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ator-frequently-asked-questions-new-guys.html

All you ever waned to know and more will be found here.
Good luck, hope you get the Terminator of your dreams!
Post pics when you get her.
Thanks....I've been reading up....a lot to read!

Take any candidate for a long test drive. Listen for ticking in the head. Make sure you do a compression and leak down test. There's other stuff to look for listen in that link provided for the Terminator FAQ.
Is this head tick common?

I posted this elsewhere recently, but it is something to check if you are looking for a 'Vert...

Some things to look for on the convertible. IF the previous owner was a top-down nut (like myself), you want to check around the bottom corners of the back window and look for tears / holes starting. Holes can also start as "pinholes" down lower (further down from the bottom window corners). To check these, put the top up/down about half way and lift the flap area near the back window.

Also, crawl into the back seat and look behind / underneath the headliner "flaps" just behind the side windows. These areas rub when the top is put up/down, and will get a "thin" look to them over time. Also while you are in there, below the back window on the sides there is a "flap" of top on each side that hangs down. Run your fingers over the bottom edge of this "flap" to feel if there are any holes starting / already there. Use a flashlight to get a good look too.

One more thing with the top; with the top up, on the outside, look for areas that have a look to them like someone tried to cut them - a "scratched" look. Where the top gets pinched by the frames as it goes up and down, it will start to have a worn look to it. Mine has a 3" line just above the drivers seat where it gets pinched (or something). It looks like someone took somethign dull and scraped / scratched the top.

IF you do find holes, use them to talk the guy down a Grand or so, for top replacement. Then, if you are cheap like me, get some "Tear Aid" (a clear patch kit) and do your own leak repairs to get you by until you want to spring for a new top. Luckily the holes I described shouldn't be visible, so you can patch them to your heart's content!

Hope this helps you out!

To clarify on the top wear on my car...

In the summer time, my top goes up / down about twice a day. It is my daily driver, and I almost never leave the top down while I'm away from the car. I live in Oregon, and even though summers are nice I will NEVER trust an Oregon sky! LOL!

I have also been known to drop the top in the spring / fall any time it is warm enough for the heater to keep me alive, and there is no water falling from the sky :)

So needless to say, my top gets alot of exercise! :banana:

Thanks great info!
weird queestion, but was it you that had your dad contact me about my dsg vert in fl

No been 25 years since my dad helped me buy my first car. :rolling:

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I'd suggest finding a car that at least has some stiffening done. Verts can be notorious for flex/vibrations with just the factory subframe connectors. I'd say at a minimum look for a car that has full-length subframe connectors. Even with everything done to mine I still get some shutter at around 60, I've about narrowed it down to tire balance.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
-Head tick was '03 if I remember correctly and not all '03 had this problem

-Every unit is obviously different, also the owner.....

- Picked mine up (coupe) with high miles, BUT it wasnt modded to death.....IMO, modded out='s BEAT (not all the time though) Plus if it already has a MOD, it short changes me being able to put the MOD on and to learn

- One thing I regret? Not asking the guy for the OEM floomats, I just shrugged it off and forgot...and now, (a year later) I'm kicking myself:fm: So look for floormats:rolling:

- Good luck on your quest....and thanks for letting me spit my $0.02

03 COBRA KID

Established Member
I have a one owner 03 dsg coupe with 33.000 miles and never pullied or modified other than a borla stinger cat back and cai for sale but im in michigan

mysterio

Established Member
Is the head tick common, OP asks? No, not nearly as the MYTH of the head tick.

So many ppl seem to mistake the normal valve sounds for the head tick. The number of these cars that actually have the tick is not as large as the myth.

Users who are viewing this thread